LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Can't get Hooker LT's removed! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 07:54 AM

Can't get Hooker LT's removed! HELP!

Ok, so here is the deal. We are removing the Hooker LT's from my 95 Z to send them off to be recoated. Getting to the point of taking them off was cake. We have removed everything on the driver side, except the valve cover. It is slip joint on that side, and is still proving to be difficult.

Anyone have any tips on how to get that slip joint loose? Everything has been sprayed w/ the best rust penetrator out there-P.B. Blast! And it still won't budge loose. It's just hanging in there.

OK the real problem is the pass. b*tch side. We have removed everything, the alt. and the valve cover. THAT stupid longtube does NOT want to budge out at all. You can move them around pretty well, but I can't get them past that head!

HOW HAVE YOU ALL REMOVED YOUR LONGTUBES????
What are we missing?
I will mention that the pass. side header looks like it is hitting a black plastic box over in the corner, under the PCM area. It doesn't come out or anything, it is just in the way.

I really hope someone can help me out, or give me some tips. We have put PaceSetters on and off w/ no problems, but these Hookers suck. We thought they would come right out!

Please help

BTW, I did a search, and couldn't find anything....
Old 12-07-2006, 08:01 AM

You might have to remove the motor mount and lift the engine up about 3"s. also remove the starter and alternator, should side out the bottom fine.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Under_Pressure
You might have to remove the motor mount and lift the engine up about 3"s. also remove the starter and alternator, should side out the bottom fine.
Forgot to mention the starter was removed as well.

The engine was jacked up to install the headers...does that mean to remove them it may would still have to be jacked up some?

So the pass. side should come out the bottom?
Old 12-07-2006, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Under_Pressure
You might have to remove the motor mount and lift the engine up about 3"s.
That's what I was going to suggest. As for the slip fit, try using a torch and apply heat. That may allow it to slip out of there.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:24 AM

you don't have to remove the motor mount. just the motor mount bolt and then jack the engine up by either place a 2X4 under the oil pan making sure it extends past the sides or jack it up on the bellhousing. either that or you'll have to jack the car at least 3' high for the header to come out at almost a 90* angle. that black box is most likey your heater/ac box. DON'T BREAK IT.
if you choose to jack the car up please make sure it is secure before getting under it.
the driver side you have to take the steering shaft off and the slip fit primary in order to get it out. for me even though the slip fit is there so you don't have to take the steering shaft off it still did not leave me w/ enough clearence to get the header out. you may be facing the same thing.

Last edited by SS RRR; 12-07-2006 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
you don't have to remove the motor mount. just the motor mount bolt and then jack the engine up by either place a 2X4 under the oil pan making sure it extends past the sides or jack it up on the bellhousing. either that or you'll have to jack the car at least 3' high for the header to come out at almost a 90* angle. that black box is most likey your heater/ac box. DON'T BREAK IT.
if you choose to jack the car up please make sure it is secure before getting under it.
the driver side you have to take the steering shaft off and the slip fit primary in order to get it out. for me even though the slip fit is there so you don't have to take the steering shaft off it still did not leave me w/ enough clearence to get the header out. you may be facing the same thing.
Forgot to mention the steering linkage has been removed as well. We just can't get the stupid slip joint to twist loose.

The car is on a lift, so jacking the car up isn't an issue. That is what makes this all so insane. It's on a freaking lift, in a heated garage...w/ TV!
How much easier could it be, right? Then I remember we are dealing w/ an
LT1, not an LS1.

So I definitely have to loosen the motor mount on the pass. side then???? This is all so hateful. Thank you for your replies...

Can't wait to hear more horror stories....
Old 12-07-2006, 08:47 AM

Yeah, I lifted the engine up on the passenger side. It also makes it easier with valver cover off and that heater hose that is going into the firewall out of the way.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:14 AM

They normally just fall right out.
On the driver side, they should come out the top, and you said all the steering stuff is out of the way, then pull it out the top, and dont worry with the slip joint, send it to however like that and have them weld it up and then coat it.
On the passenger side, it should come out the bottom, have to remove the dipstick and all that other stuff you said you had out of there. never had to jack up the motor but some do....
Old 12-07-2006, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Shon Herron
They normally just fall right out.
On the driver side, they should come out the top, and you said all the steering stuff is out of the way, then pull it out the top, and dont worry with the slip joint, send it to however like that and have them weld it up and then coat it.
On the passenger side, it should come out the bottom, have to remove the dipstick and all that other stuff you said you had out of there. never had to jack up the motor but some do....

Hey Shon,

Yeah, we took the dip stick out as well. You make it sound so easy Want to drive to VA for the weekend, LOL

We wiggled and jiggled these headers for about an hour trying to squeeze them out from under neath, and from the top, and they just wouldn't come out. There was always something in the way. I didn't put these headers in. They were put in by a friend of mine back in 2000. So I wasn't there to see if he had to jack the motor then or not

I really hope I don't have to loosen any motor mounts. There has to be something we are missing...
Old 12-07-2006, 09:32 AM

I jacked my car up very high and they came out the bottom without touching the motor mounts.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Gripenfelter
I jacked my car up very high and they came out the bottom without touching the motor mounts.

I totally believe you. I just can't see what we aren't doing right. The simpliest things on this car always go wrong.

I just can't see what we aren't doing.

Everything is removed, and we can't slip it out from the bottom...
Old 12-07-2006, 10:47 AM

dude unmounting the engine is a piece of cake. It only took me like 15 minutes to do and i was clueless. If i had to install or remove headers I would unmount both sides regardless of whether or not it was necessary, just because its SO much easier. All you have to do is jack the engine to the point that there is no weight on the mount, and you arent lifting on the car with it either. when you get it to that point the bolt will slide right out and you can jack the engine up 3-4." Reverse the process to replace the bolt. When you get it to that point they should slide out from the top or bottom... VERY easily.

i jacked mine on the bellhousing if i remember correctly.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/joeliusc...803391917092/9

Last edited by JoeliusZ28; 12-07-2006 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by JoeliusZ28
i jacked mine on the bellhousing if i remember correctly.
I wouldn't jack the motor up by the bellhousing. That thing is aluminum.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Banned

where you at in va.? I can get mine out in 20 min. or less
Old 12-07-2006, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by JoeliusZ28
dude ....
I would say dudette or else she might Semper Fi on you

Quick Reply: Can't get Hooker LT's removed! HELP!