LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Can't get Hooker LT's removed! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by blown383

How much is it costing you to recoat the headers?

B
Well, I called Jet Hot about recoating, and their warranty. Looks like there is no Life Time Guarantee stated on their website. They do have a limited 3 year warranty though, which does me no good. They did offer to give me a 20% discount, but that still means $225. These headers rusted within a year of having them. They didn't prep the metal correctly.

I called another vendor, Air Born coatings, and they priced it at $235.

I was under the impression Jet Hot's warranty would cover the huge amount of rust that formed on them so soon.

Last edited by 350 HRSS; 12-08-2006 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Banned

mine did the same thing...jey hot has BAD customer service and gave me a bunch of bs...i'm not happy with them at all They took my new headers and ruined them...after a few weeks they were rusted up sent em back same thing sent em back again......SAME and they would not cover any shipping
Old 12-08-2006, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by mdacton
mine did the same thing...jey hot has BAD customer service and gave me a bunch of bs...i'm not happy with them at all They took my new headers and ruined them...after a few weeks they were rusted up sent em back same thing sent em back again......SAME and they would not cover any shipping

Well, customer service, as far as answering email hasn't been too bad. Chris has been emailing me back about this. But, they still want to charge me for the rusty headers. Whoever did them, didn't prep the metal correctly. And I assume since they do these in such mass production, some of the headers do not get the attention they need.

They are asking me for the original invoice. I don't see why that matters, plus, that was back in 2000!

Who am I kidding, I have to get them off first
Old 12-08-2006, 02:52 PM

Opinion here:
if they did not prep the NEW headers properly the first time, chances are, a second attemp will not provide any better quality.

On a side note: I had some RUSTY Hooker LTs, had them blasted, and took them to a local coater, after less than a year they looked like I had just painted them with BBQ paint, I was not happy but I think it was due to the material already being in 'bad' condition.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Shon Herron
Opinion here:
if they did not prep the NEW headers properly the first time, chances are, a second attemp will not provide any better quality.

On a side note: I had some RUSTY Hooker LTs, had them blasted, and took them to a local coater, after less than a year they looked like I had just painted them with BBQ paint, I was not happy but I think it was due to the material already being in 'bad' condition.
I hear you Shon. That is what I am worried about. There is a local coater here, but I am not waiting 6 months.

I am worried about the same thing happening w/ Jet Hot.

I know the guy personally at Air Born in NC. And so far I haven't heard anything bad about their coatings. But he basically told me they all use the same products. What's different is the way everything is prepared, and that no steps are skipped.

Really not sure what to do in this situation.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:07 PM

Any place close enough to deliver without shipping? or is cost of gas/time more than shipping?

I went local b/c I didnt have to ship, he has coated some other parts for us and they were great and he could turn it around quicker than anyone else I contacted. Was it worth it in the end, dont know, undecided.
Originally Posted by 350 HRSS
I hear you Shon. That is what I am worried about. There is a local coater here, but I am not waiting 6 months.

I am worried about the same thing happening w/ Jet Hot.

I know the guy personally at Air Born in NC. And so far I haven't heard anything bad about their coatings. But he basically told me they all use the same products. What's different is the way everything is prepared, and that no steps are skipped.

Really not sure what to do in this situation.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:13 PM

Any place close enough to deliver without shipping? or is cost of gas/time more than shipping?

I went local b/c I didnt have to ship, he has coated some other parts for us and they were great and he could turn it around quicker than anyone else I contacted. Was it worth it in the end, dont know, undecided.
Oh yeah, it is really ironic, b/c he is about 3 miles from me. He did my 00 SS wheels. But he takes SO LONG. And he is very hard to get in touch with when he has your stuff to. Plus, he charges like $280 for coating.

We do have a UPS comm. account which believe it or not, does make it a little cheaper for shipping.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Banned

i'm just going to let mine rust up and just buy some new ones....I think once they aren't prepped right, they never will be
Chris is great I dealt with him before...but he couln'd do anything for me cause he is in sales not cust. service

IMO go local...they probly want to hold there name up a little more than a big company

And you haven't got em off yet????
Old 12-08-2006, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by mdacton
i'm just going to let mine rust up and just buy some new ones....I think once they aren't prepped right, they never will be
Chris is great I dealt with him before...but he couln'd do anything for me cause he is in sales not cust. service

IMO go local...they probly want to hold there name up a little more than a big company

And you haven't got em off yet????

My car is up at my parent's house, and we didn't go up there last night. Had a lot to do, so we couldn't work on the car. We are going to work on it tonight though. Get them off I hope.

If I go local, I will have to wait A LONG time. This guy has a rep.

I thought about just dumping these and getting some NEW PaceSetters. BUT,
I want a set of Pace Setters for the LS1 to, and I can't get 2 new sets of LTs Santa can only do so much!!!
Old 12-08-2006, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by RunRiot
-Disconnect the passenger side motor mount by removing the 3 bolts that connect to the engine block, don't worry about the big bolt. Leave the driver side connected.

I don't understand why people go through the trouble of removing 3 bolts instead of one? Especially when that one bolt is extremely easy to get to... and especially when it's easier to deal with when lining the engine back into place...
Old 12-08-2006, 03:48 PM

100% agree!!
That one bolt is so much easier to get in/out than the 3, that is 2 more holes to line up and the long bolt is thru a rubber mount so you can 'move' it some if needed.
Originally Posted by SS RRR

I don't understand why people go through the trouble of removing 3 bolts instead of one? Especially when that one bolt is extremely easy to get to... and especially when it's easier to deal with when lining the engine back into place...
Old 12-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Banned

there is a place in hopewell...its a drive for you but maybe you can ship em there its down 460 check out vmp site i think they are a sponcor at the track
Old 12-08-2006, 03:50 PM

...they looked like I had just painted them with BBQ paint...
Where do you get that kind of paint at?

Old 12-08-2006, 04:04 PM
Banned

check these guys out...its who the locals use http://www.thermaltechcoatings.com/
your looking at $225
I know where i'm going now

Last edited by mdacton; 12-08-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetred95ta
Where do you get that kind of paint at?

I have seen it in all kinds of places.

Quick Reply: Can't get Hooker LT's removed! HELP!