LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Can't get Hooker LT's removed! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Shon Herron
I would say dudette or else she might Semper Fi on you
hahah i actually caught that, but i figured it had been up long enough i might as well just deal with the embarassment

did you get them out angela? when you unbolt the engine youre gonna wish you did it along time ago, its really simple.

and about jacking on the bellhousing, i used wood as shown in the pic, it didnt hurt it at all.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:53 PM

coated headers suck the ***** when you live in an area that is very humid and/or uses road salt in the winter. you expose coated headers to road salt it will start bubbling in a matter of a very short time unless you thoroughly wash them off.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:21 PM
Z07

What I do with the F-Body is support the tranny with a tranny jack, undo the tranny mount and pry sideways with prybar as well as the other usual stuff you take out, starter, intermediate shaft etc.....

I have put is some massive Kooks headers this way no problems.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Z07
intermediate shaft...
Old 12-08-2006, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
what?

you leave the steering intermediate shaft in?
Old 12-08-2006, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dave89IROC
what?

you leave the steering intermediate shaft in?
i've always referred to it as a steering shaft. i was lost, but now i'm found.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:55 PM

I don't understand why people go through the trouble of removing 3 bolts instead of one? Especially when that one bolt is extremely easy to get to... and especially when it's easier to deal with when lining the engine back into place...
Because otherwise when you raise the engine, the stand comes up with it and there's still not enough room to get the header out... if I'm remembering this correctly.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:09 PM

why dont you just drop the i-pipe? then tap the y-pipe off w/ a rubber mallet or something
Old 12-09-2006, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by RunRiot
Because otherwise when you raise the engine, the stand comes up with it and there's still not enough room to get the header out... if I'm remembering this correctly.
the stand? i'm getting lost again... what stand? If you are referring to the engine mount bracket that bolts to the block it doesn't even come close to being in the way.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:41 PM

yep i jacked motor a few inches in my driveway
Old 12-10-2006, 10:51 AM

the stand? i'm getting lost again... what stand? If you are referring to the engine mount bracket that bolts to the block it doesn't even come close to being in the way.
Yes, I'm talking about the engine mount bracket. I've heard the 2 cast iron brackets referred to as "engine stands", but I will use the correct terminology in the future.

I've done this at least a dozen times, and it's definitely in the way for me. I never tried going in/out the bottom, as I can't safely get the car high enough. And I suspect that I have more clearance issues than most people... A4 bellhousing, Canton pan kickouts, tall valve covers. So I think if this works for me, it should work for anyone.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:49 AM

Well, we got the crazy headers off Fri. night. AND man was it a job. We could NOT get the clip joint loose, even w/ a torch. So, we had to jack the motor, and actually move it to get these out. Funny thing is, the pass. side came out pretty easy after all that. It was the driver side that caused all the pain and annoyance.

Now we have to find a way to get the slip joint out, which shouldn't take much time since it's off the car now.

Here is my question though. If we remove the slip joint, and reinstall it after they are coated, how will it not leak? I never thought of it before....but how does that area not leak? Should I have it welded up?
Old 12-11-2006, 08:09 AM

Weld it up as it is and then have it coated. If you coat and then weld you will have a spot there that is going to rust quickly.

I would get a SBC or LT1 head and attach it and have it welded. I just took mine to the local muffler shop and had the header on the head and they welded it up for $5 or nothing, cant remember. I used the head to make sure all was line up right and would not move after welding.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by JoeliusZ28
hahah i actually caught that, but i figured it had been up long enough i might as well just deal with the embarassment

did you get them out angela? when you unbolt the engine youre gonna wish you did it along time ago, its really simple.

and about jacking on the bellhousing, i used wood as shown in the pic, it didnt hurt it at all.
Yes, and we did have to unbolt the tranny mount as well. It was all a real headache. It should be MUCH easier going back in though. At least I hope so.

Now to find the RIGHT people to coat these headers....
Old 12-11-2006, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Shon Herron
Weld it up as it is and then have it coated. If you coat and then weld you will have a spot there that is going to rust quickly.

I would get a SBC or LT1 head and attach it and have it welded. I just took mine to the local muffler shop and had the header on the head and they welded it up for $5 or nothing, cant remember. I used the head to make sure all was line up right and would not move after welding.
Well, the good news is, I work for Dad at a machine/welding shop So none of this is an issue. But as for bolting it back up to the head and welding it, LOL! No way.

I wouldn't weld it after it was coated either.

I have to put 02 bungs in them as well...so it will be a little while.

Quick Reply: Can't get Hooker LT's removed! HELP!