LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Canton Fabbed Valve Cover Install ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 10:09 AM

Canton Fabbed Valve Cover Install ?'s

One thing I didn't plan on before jumping in and installing these was the fact that my OVC wire looms will not work with the taller cover. I will have to make new, longer wires for it to look right. I have them tie wrapped away from my headers but it looks bad. I have yet to install the passanger side cover. It's going to be a real b*tch. The transmission and oil fill tubes are in the way. Any suggestions? Also the grommet for the PCV valve is too small for the hole in the Canton cover.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:01 AM

Re: Canton Fabbed Valve Cover Install ?'s

I bought new wires for the same reason.

Did your driver's side go on okay? Mine was shifted on the head too far towards the exhaust side. I'm also curious about the passenger side. The part that is cut in to clear the alternator interfered with my forward rocker arm by about a 1/4". Maybe I just got a bad set, because Victory Racing just used a pair that worked fine. I had to send them back to Canton to get fixed.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff95TA
I bought new wires for the same reason.

Did your driver's side go on okay? .
Not too bad. It took me awhile to start the rear bolt.
I'm also curious about the passenger side. The part that is cut in to clear the alternator interfered with my forward rocker arm by about a 1/4". .
I'm going to try to install it today. I put the gasket on the valve cover using permatex blue yesterday and i'm letting it set up. From my trials yesterday I have a feeling it's going to get peeled off by one of my rockers when I wrestle it there.

Maybe I just got a bad set, because Victory Racing just used a pair that worked fine. I had to send them back to Canton to get fixed.
I hope I don't have a bad set.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:08 PM

Yes the front most tab on the valve cover that sits inside the head gave me a little struggle. I looked and it had a little bend to it, so I straightened it up and the valve cover sat right down. I had roughly a 1/4" in front of the #2 exhaust rocker before it interfered with the cover.

I checked this after I got off the phone with you Jeff. Sounds like you might have gotten a bad, set but Canton is a good company and will stand behind their stuff for you.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:43 PM

I had to bend my trans filler tube towards the center of the engine and the cover went on. Now I'm having trouble with the rear alternator support bracket. It hits the valve cover. Anyone else have this problem? It also looks like the cutout for the altenator is not big enough. Can I use two of the four supports for the altenator and be okay?
Old 06-27-2006, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by NVRLATE
I had to bend my trans filler tube towards the center of the engine and the cover went on. Now I'm having trouble with the rear alternator support bracket. It hits the valve cover. Anyone else have this problem? It also looks like the cutout for the altenator is not big enough. Can I use two of the four supports for the altenator and be okay?
I had already ditched one of the brackets but I'm not sure it's the same one you're talking about.

I have a feeling that if the cutout were any deeper then it would hit the rocker arm like mine. When you say the cutout isn't big enough, do you mean that it hits the back of the alternator housing?

Nick - have you put the alternator on yet?

Last edited by Jeff95TA; 06-27-2006 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:54 AM

I had already ditched one of the brackets but I'm not sure it's the same one you're talking about.

I have a feeling that if the cutout were any deeper then it would hit the rocker arm like mine. When you say the cutout isn't big enough, do you mean that it hits the back of the alternator housing?

Nick - have you put the alternator on yet?
I was handling the engine build only on this particular job. After seeing these threads I have advised the installers to be aware of possible interferance with the altenator relief not being large enough.

I will let you know how it comes out.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

ANyone have pictures of these installed?
Old 06-27-2006, 11:41 AM

Old 06-27-2006, 02:57 PM

I eliminated one of the lower support brackets a couple of years ago when I installed my headers. So up to this point I have been using the bottom mount and the two upper braces(they're painted black). I was wondering if I could eliminate the rear brace that hangs over the valve cover and properly support the alternator with two supports.

My alternator hits the cover at the back of the housing. It sticks out 1/4" or so where the shaft is housed.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:01 PM

Nick or Eric @ Victory Racing:
Do you have close ups showing how the alternator is mounted? And where did you find a grommet for the PCV? The oem grommet is too small.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:23 PM

That rubber grommet was picked up at a local auto parts store.

Those are the only shots I have of it for now. I will try and get something closer for you in the next few days.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:49 PM

Don't those valve covers run $300?

-B
Old 06-28-2006, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

$220.00
Old 06-28-2006, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by blown383
Don't those valve covers run $300?