LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Canton Fabbed Valve Cover Install ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 04:47 PM

Re: Canton Fabbed Valve Cover Install ?'s

Originally Posted by blown383
So it looks like you rotated the alternator up counter clockwise 1 inch? Did you have enough slack in the tensioner and belt for that to work?

We need pics of those valve covers with OTVC looms!

-B
Yep, 1 inch. I'll probably need a different belt. And I had just bought a shorter one for my new crank pulley. Doh!

I started on the OTVC wires today and realized that I need longer valve cover bolts too. The Canton ones would be fine, just not for OTVC looms. I think 1/4"-20 x 6" should work. Ordered some from Fastenal.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff95TA
Yep, 1 inch. I'll probably need a different belt. And I had just bought a shorter one for my new crank pulley. Doh!

I started on the OTVC wires today and realized that I need longer valve cover bolts too. The Canton ones would be fine, just not for OTVC looms. I think 1/4"-20 x 6" should work. Ordered some from Fastenal.
Improvise and overome Jeff. I like it!!

You getting close to lighting the wick on that thing?
Old 07-09-2006, 08:55 PM

Jeff95TA: is your alternator supported at two locations instead of the factory four? That's how I have mine set up at the moment (minus the custom bracket).

As I had mentioned in an earlier post I had to remove my pass. side cover because I could hear a rocker contacting the cover. I pulled it off and found where the rocker had been hitting. I ground some clearance. Hopefully it's enough. If I have time I'm going to put it back on tomorrow and hope that's it. I didn't realize swapping to these covers was going to be so much work and I still haven't addressed the OVC wiring issues.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:26 AM

Eric@Victoryracing you should sell that fabbed piece Jeff95TA just made or Jeff sell that on the side. I just got a set of custom VC's made and they are identical to Canton's minus the stepped passenger VC. Mine is cut at a angle instead and has no provisions for the filler or PCV port. Guess I'll be ordering a set of these REAL soon.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:43 AM

The plan is to get it in the car this weekend. I'll finally have two days in a row to work on it!

Yes I'm just using the two mounting points. The two brackets won't work now, but I might try to fit something to the bottom location.

The bracket is just a piece of 1/4" x 1" aluminum stock with two holes 1" apart, a piece of aluminum tubing for the spacer, and an M10x1.5x40 bolt & nut (all from Lowe's).
Old 07-10-2006, 10:42 AM

How much hood clearance is there after these are installed? I bet not enough for a Delteq system. DOH! I just remembered I have the Delteq mounted on the valve cover...lol.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:35 PM

If anyone is interested, I used a Motormite Help! PCV valve grommet 42323 from Advance Auto. Looks like it's intended for something thicker than what the valve covers are, but it's still a nice snug fit.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff95TA
If anyone is interested, I used a Motormite Help! PCV valve grommet 42323 from Advance Auto. Looks like it's intended for something thicker than what the valve covers are, but it's still a nice snug fit.
Thanks for the tip. After visiting 5 parts stores looking for this grommet I found one at Oreilly's. It fits great. Now I just need to reinstall it and hop the rocker does not hit any part of the cover since I have reworked it.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:54 AM

Any pics of the OVTC wires and these valve covers yet?

-B
Old 07-14-2006, 06:17 AM

Dumb question but the stk studs lenght isn't long enough for the VC are they? Guess I'll find out tonight.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by ZBLKHELLRZR
Dumb question but the stk studs lenght isn't long enough for the VC are they? Guess I'll find out tonight.
You mean stock bolts or the ones that come with the valve covers? Stock ones aren't long enough, ones with the valve covers are, unless you're doing OTVC wire looms, then you need even longer ones. Need 1/4"-20 x 6" long socket head cap screws. Actually only need six of them. The 5.5" ones that come with the VC can be used for the two rear holes.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:43 AM

Pics of the OTVC wires please!

-B
Old 07-20-2006, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by blown383
Pics of the OTVC wires please!

-B
I should be in bed right now and you're making me go out to the garage to take pictures.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:03 PM

Thanks for the pics Jeff! You know you wanted show us your goods!

Hmm..... Its a shame that the OTVC looms cover up the valve covers! I wonder if there is another alternative to routing them with those covers?

-B
Old 07-21-2006, 02:05 AM

What headers are those? Did you deliberately cut the flanges off like that or they come that way?

Quick Reply: Canton Fabbed Valve Cover Install ?'s