LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Car died with no warning.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 02:47 PM

Car died with no warning.

Hi,
My car is a 95 Z28 M6,and is stock apart from a K&N panel filter.
On Thursday afternoon we were driving back home from a nearby town,the car was running perfectly.Without warning the car just died and we coasted to a stop.I turned the key and it cranked but would not start.I popped the hood and checked all the blade fuses,they were all o.k,also checked all the fuses on the end of the dash,they were all o.k too.After a few more attempts at cranking it over the battery gave up the ghost and I called out a break-down truck.Anyway the car was loaded on the back and the guy took us home.
Upon closer inspection I noticed that the positive terminal on the battery was corroded with leaking acid.I removed the negative terminal and then attempted to remove the positive terminal,anyway the whole terminal broke away from the battery,I did a search and it seems that this is a common problem.
So I buy a new battery with the proper side-post screw-in terminals.The new battery is an AC Delco 650 cca with a six year warranty,wasn't cheap!
Cleaned up all the terminals and fitted it to the car.The car now cranks over strong but still does not fire.
Any ideas as to what would cause an LT1 to go out like a light and then not start.Have had the car since february and it has always started and run perfectly before this.
I'm no mechanic and only have basic tools,please point me in the right direction to getting this diagnosed and back on the road.
Many thanks in advance for your replies,Mark.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:43 PM

Re: Car died with no warning.

The fuel pump is the first thing I would check. Do you hear it prime when you switch the key to the "on" position but without cranking? If not the pump is dead. Other things it could be are your coil, optispark, or a burned or corroded wire. As long as it didnt overheat or lose oil pressure before the car shut off its likely a minor problem.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:53 PM

Hi there,
Thanks for the advice,will check to see if the fuel pump is priming tomorrow.Car seemed fine before it died,oil pressure was normal and it definately wasn't overheating.Sure hope it's not the opti-spark,fitted a new waterpump only four months ago,would be a shame to have to take it back off!
Hopefully i'll get it sorted quickly as it's my daily driver,luckily i've got the use of my girlfriends Honda,if only my Camaro was as reliable.....
Once again,thanks for your input,all the best,Mark.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:21 AM

sounds like a pump problem , except mine would startup fine sometimes but idle really rough

it was intermittent and would only happen when the pump warms up

few ways to check this

first find out if its afuel problem.

i sprayed some starting fluid into the throttle body and it started right up but died when it was all used up. so i knew it was fuel, dont spray alot cuz its not reccomended

get ur fuel pressure tested

if u know its a fuel problem do the simple stuff first

turn the key on listens for the whirr sound of the pump priming

no sound , check to c if the relay is getting power
hell even just change it its not expensive

if those both work its prolly ur pump
Old 07-03-2006, 07:29 AM

Hi,
Just got my car back up and running 10 minutes ago!!!
Should have seen the smile on my face when it fired straight up.
I checked for the fuel pump priming earlier on this morning and it was definately working and after further cranking I could smell fuel around the throttle body area.So I figured it wasn't a fuel related problem,with the help of you guys of course.So glad it wasn't a faulty fuel pump,from what I've been reading it sounds like a nasty job to replace it.
Anyway I decide to remove the rubber intake elbow and the airbox stuff so I can get a better look around the top of the opti-spark.So I a have a quick look around and notice that the lead from the opti to the coil is hanging off at the coil end,LOL,I plugged it back on and it just fell off again.So I squashed the connection inside the 90 degree rubber boot a little,just as a temporary fix to get it to hold.Re-assembled the intake stuff and crossed my fingers,turned the key and it fired straight up.(Go me !)
Am going to get a new lead a.s.a.p,cause the old one is just going to keep falling off at the coil end.
A BIG,BIG thankyou to the guys that responded when I was in trouble,I don't know much about cars and your simple to understand advice got my car sorted.
All the best,Mark.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by MARKTHOMASBRAND
Hi,
Just got my car back up and running 10 minutes ago!!!
Should have seen the smile on my face when it fired straight up.
I checked for the fuel pump priming earlier on this morning and it was definately working and after further cranking I could smell fuel around the throttle body area.So I figured it wasn't a fuel related problem,with the help of you guys of course.So glad it wasn't a faulty fuel pump,from what I've been reading it sounds like a nasty job to replace it.
Anyway I decide to remove the rubber intake elbow and the airbox stuff so I can get a better look around the top of the opti-spark.So I a have a quick look around and notice that the lead from the opti to the coil is hanging off at the coil end,LOL,I plugged it back on and it just fell off again.So I squashed the connection inside the 90 degree rubber boot a little,just as a temporary fix to get it to hold.Re-assembled the intake stuff and crossed my fingers,turned the key and it fired straight up.(Go me !)
Am going to get a new lead a.s.a.p,cause the old one is just going to keep falling off at the coil end.
A BIG,BIG thankyou to the guys that responded when I was in trouble,I don't know much about cars and your simple to understand advice got my car sorted.
All the best,Mark.
nice to c u figured out that problem , good luck with ur car