LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Car died and won't restart-any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 02:33 PM

Car died and won't restart-any ideas?

I just replaced the starter on my SS with a Summit ministarter, and fired it up while it was still on ramps and jackstands. The starter turned it over just fine (I had already checked clearances) and it started almost immediately. I started taking it off the jackstands, and let the car down, and as soon as the back wheels hit the ground it cut off (didn't hit hard). It wouldn't restart (though it turns over fine), and I noticed that the engine sensor fuse under the hood had blown. I put in another one, and it blew again, so I'm thinking this is probably related but I don't see anything obvious wrong. The battery cable and purple wire are attached where they should be, and everything is tight and not touching. I have verified that the fuel pump is coming on. The engine was just swapped in recently, so it could be anything, but does anyone have any ideas?
Old 02-20-2007, 02:49 PM

Are you out of gas? If the engine turns over then it's apparently not the starter. What's left that could have happened when putting it on the ground.

Check spark---might have loosened a ground wire or when suspension engaged boogered something. Get busy and start eliminating possibilities, fuel, spark, etc. JMHO.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by BUBBA
Are you out of gas? If the engine turns over then it's apparently not the starter. What's left that could have happened when putting it on the ground.

Check spark---might have loosened a ground wire or when suspension engaged boogered something. Get busy and start eliminating possibilities, fuel, spark, etc. JMHO.
I just put in a few gallons of premium, so I know its not that.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:16 PM

Ok, it started, but it took longer this time than usual (almost like happens when a fuel pump relay is bad), and set a code, which I have no ability to check. The fuse popped again, so I have a lot of checking to do...maf wiring, o2s, etc. What a PITA.

I unplugged the MAF while I cranked it, and it still blew the fuse, so I guess its not that. I have had to modify my o2 wiring (the rear o2 wiring is taped up, since I'm OBD1 now, and I had to replace a burned connector), so I'm betting thats where the issue is. For now, I have to get some more fuses before looking any further.

Last edited by SS Joe; 02-20-2007 at 03:52 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 02-20-2007, 04:07 PM

I believe you are on the right track. Good luck.