LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

car falls flat on its face

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 11:57 AM

car falls flat on its face

Hey guys need a lil help, car is doin somethin that i have never felt before, when i romp on the accelerator and its climbing to redline it falls flat on its face at like 5000 and seems like it just doesnt have the power after wards...then when i throw it in second it still feels like its stuttering...and just a few days ago i was cruising with a local car club and we were revving our engines and when i put it in first and let off the clutch it bogged down and when i mash the gas it hesitates a good bit and then continues the falls on its face problem...this also happen when im on the highway. The only thing that is lit up is my SES light for right bank cat improper something so im thinking maybe an o2 sensor is bad behind the cat or the cat is clogged. I dont know if that would cause my problem tho. any help is greatly appreciated!
Vince
Old 10-12-2005, 12:02 PM

Re: car falls flat on its face

a bad o2 sensor behind the cat will not cause anything like that. it is only there to trigger the code, which has no affect on the running condition of the car.

could be a clogged cat, but i would think that would be more noticeble than just in the upper rpms.

could be you're coil is bad, preventing sufficient spark from getting to the engine at high rpms. on a similar thought, could be your wires or the coil wire too.

also worth checking your fuel pressure. could be dropping suddenly under high load and causing the car to bog. maybe check out fuel filter too.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:14 PM

Check your fuel pressure, and also pull off your coil wire and have a look. I bet it's one of the two.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:05 PM

within the last 1000 miles, i have replaced all the spark plugs, wires, opti, fuel filter, o2, water pump and that initially solved my problem. Turned out a while back i bough some napa wires that werent the rite size so i dint kno this i put it in the shop and they replaced everythin under my hood with factory gm parts..and rite as we were about to throw in the towel we put some factory gm wires and it ran really well...for a while...this problem really was not that serious until last few weeks. It got the worst after the trip down to savannah...i just drove the car today and as soon as it got hot or a drove it for a little...it falls flat on its face but when cruising it doesnt miss and i dont have a misfire code throwing cuz my SES light isnt blinking its just on. It seems like it only misses under medium to heavy load...i hope this is some more info.
Vince
Old 10-21-2005, 12:28 PM

All right got my codes back for my service engine light...first one is the dreaded PO300 random misfire code...this one pisses me off the most cuz this code was the same one i put my car in the shop for 2000 dollars ago...the second code is PO420 which is catalytic converter below threshold right bank...so what do yall think...will the ignition coil possibly solve my problem???
Vince
Old 10-21-2005, 12:46 PM
Banned

Coil,fuel pump,valve springs,wires,plugs. Gap the plugs to .035 and check the wires again at night to see if they are jumping. The .035 will make it easier to fire and will help in the diagnosis.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:43 PM

I've had your exact symptoms twice and had two different sources for the problem...
1. Coil was bad (I swapped an aftermarket one in not long ago and it started arcing).
2. Fuel Pump was on its way out and wasn't holding the pressure at WOT.