LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Car Not Starting!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 12:01 AM

Car Not Starting!

Ok here's the deal, the car just recently started NOT to start. it wouldn't crank over. Battery is fine, spark plugs are brand new. However, once I get it started, it would start for several times (more than 5 times) then it wouldn't start again. I would think it's either the starter or something to do with the fuel. maybe clogged somewhere. But once it's started, the car runs perfect and won't stall either. Do you guys think it's the starter? Thanks.

PS. the last time I started the car by pushing and dropping the clutch. would that damage anything?

PLEASE HELP! THANKS.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:10 AM

Re: Car Not Starting!

My car did something similar and it ended up being the optispark had taken a dump. If the crank module in the opti has gone bad, it cant tell the pcm that there are rpm's thus will not send power to the icm/ coil. SOmetimes my car would start fine , then others it would just turn over and never fire.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:26 AM

These suggestions are if you turn the switch to crank the engine and nothing turns over:

If you suspect the starter, hit it with a hammer and try it again. You can take it to an autoparts store and seek out an employee with brains that can correctly test it. They should check to make sure the starter spins, the solinoid works and the armature fires out when it spins. If the solinoid is bad, you can usually find just a replacement one for cheaper. If not, trade it in and buy another. Also, you may have a bad ignition switch, bad wiring going to the starter from the switch, VATS inhibiting your starting, or a bad clutch switch.

First off, look in the mess of wires above the pedals and make sure all of the switches on all the pedals are making good connection so when the brake and clutch aren't pressed, the buttons on those are pressed in all the way.

Try bypassing the clutch start or the equivalent must be in park start on autos.

If it is your ignition switch, you can tell by having some slop in the ignition cylinder, failing lights on the gauge cluster, failure to engauge accessory power features by turning the ignition backward one click, or failure to start the starter when turned and failure to prime the fuel pump in the "on" position. I've replaced this twice and isn't extremely difficult to do. Shoebox has a walkthrough. Also, if it is bad, you should most likely get a new pigtail for the switch because it will most likely be fried.

To test your starter wires, run a power wire from the battery and CAREFULLY put it on the terminal where the positive other wire from the battery is. Try starting. If nothing, run that hot wire to the smaller stud on the starter to simulate the ignition sending a start signal while having the key in the "on" position. If that works, your wiring is bad from the switch to the starter and either replace or do what I did and make a push button start.

If you turn the switch over and the car barely cranks, then you may have a bad battery or alternator, which can be tested by an autoparts store and competant employee.

If it stumbles on cranking or cranks many times without firing, then you either have a fuel or ignition problem.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:56 PM

Thanks a lot! I will try and see what will happen. Some other guys suggested that it might be my fuel pump or my VATS system. when I have the ignition in the ON position, I can hear everything coming on including the fuel pump. I have power running through the car. I went to fire up my car this morning for several times. >10 and it starts right up with no problem. Thanx!