LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Car is running bad once it warms up. Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 08:59 PM

Car is running bad once it warms up. Need Help!

this started after i nearly ran it out of gas the 2nd time. The 1st time i ran it completely out and someone came and brought me gas. Drove fine once i filled up. 2nd time I was near empty and drove it about 2 miles with it lugging really bad, we're talking near 1k RPMs putt putting around (had to make it to the station). Filled up and it drove fine. Came out of school hours later. Started driving and it acked up a few mins after driving.

Now the Symptoms/problems

It normally drives fine for the 1st few mins and then it will start to lug (just like it did when it was running out of gas). As if its not getting enough gas but normally once you get around 2000 RPM. or you get the paddle down to about half way, it will suddently kick back in a start to run a little more normal but it still lacks alot of power.

Now the hotter the day the sooner it seems to start doing this/ the worse it gets. I.E. If its 60F it may not really do it at all. but if its 80 it will take 15ish min and if its 90 it may take 10-5 mins for it to start doing it.

3rd it also seems to effect the car at idle and it will idle lower and sometimes act like its going to die. The exhaust note also seems to change when it starts doing this.

Now i know its not the fuel pump and filter as i just replaced them. But i can't think of anything else it might be! Also no SES Lights come on.

Anyone else have any idea?

UPDATE

Now it wont start at all. It has power but never catchs or acts like its going to.

Last edited by 97BBlackZ; 05-22-2006 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:16 AM

Re: Car is running bad once it warms up. Need Help!

I have yet to find a solution but heres a link for some help..does it sound anything like this?
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...ing+hesitation

plus a TTT for the day because i still need to know wuts wrong with me.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by nodnarb481
I have yet to find a solution but heres a link for some help..does it sound anything like this?
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...ing+hesitation

plus a TTT for the day because i still need to know wuts wrong with me.
Naw man mines a little different. It does it way worse and will even do it from a stop and wont respond well. After awhile i can bearly make it home.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:32 PM

Mine did the same thing, O2's were bad I put some Bosch sensors in and appearently they're not fast enough for our PCM's. I've found if it only runs like crap when it's heated up.. That's when the PCM goes into closed loop and takes readings from the O2's. Someone chime in if I'm wrong.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:04 PM

mine does it from a stop too.. its like u put ur gas on the pedal it bucks then runs to 2nd gear and after the shift it will buck again...

O2 sensors have been mentioned a lot, i will be getting mine checked out also, they usually throw an ses light but i think im gonna get my car scanned.. wut would one use to scan a 95 lt1?
Old 05-23-2006, 08:15 PM

When you replaced the pump, did you replace the sending unit as well?

Very well could be your 02's since your SES light is going off. Did you ever get teh SES scanned?
Old 05-23-2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6zzz
When you replaced the pump, did you replace the sending unit as well?

Very well could be your 02's since your SES light is going off. Did you ever get teh SES scanned?

no i just replaced the pump. What all is the sending unit? but thats the thing my SES light never comes on.

The only time it does come on is when it trys to go into closed loop? The computer needs a tune which i already know of. Or it has a lack of tune. But i unplugged the MAF and it still did it. So i doubt it can be the tune that and it ran fine before with the tune the way it is.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:10 PM

im pretty much in the exact same boat as you. Im gonna get my coil wire, coil, and o2 sensors checked along with a scan.. ill tell ya what i come up with
Old 05-24-2006, 12:37 AM

Put the car on ramps... run it till it runs like crap, unplug the O2's, if it runs good, that's your problem, if not... Move on... that's how I finally had to do it, but an AutoXray scanner and Manufacturers specific OBD-2 cable will read a 95... I have one
Old 05-24-2006, 11:12 AM

are you saying to drive til it runs crappy, then put it on ramps and unplug the o2s and then drive it again? because the buck/hesiatation/stumble happens when you try to accelerate from say a stop sign or traffic light.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by SoloExceptional
Put the car on ramps... run it till it runs like crap, unplug the O2's, if it runs good, that's your problem, if not... Move on... that's how I finally had to do it, but an AutoXray scanner and Manufacturers specific OBD-2 cable will read a 95... I have one

well if it ran... then yea i could do that . But it wont start anymore. Also where do you live in texas???
Old 05-24-2006, 01:25 PM

Rowlett, right outside of Garland and about 15 mins from Dallas.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:10 PM

Rowlett, right outside of Garland and about 15 mins from Dallas.
ahhh

well your bout 5 mins from me then Will that scanner tell me whats wrong if its scanned?

The cars actually right off 66 and centerville
Old 05-25-2006, 12:35 AM

haha really? I'm at Castle and Rowlett Road/Firewheel parkway, I go past there everyday on my way to work, and actually I'm borrowing the scanner from one of my dad's friends at work so it'll probably be gone tomorrow.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:15 AM

haha really? I'm at Castle and Rowlett Road/Firewheel parkway, I go past there everyday on my way to work, and actually I'm borrowing the scanner from one of my dad's friends at work so it'll probably be gone tomorrow.
ahh yea the car is off castle to. Once you go up the hill you take a right on the 1st street and its in that part.

You wouldn't be able to scan it before you give it back to him would you?? If you so you got a PM

Quick Reply: Car is running bad once it warms up. Need Help!