LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Car starts and dies right away , serious help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 12:24 PM

ya know what though , I may be a retard... 'cause I forgot something.

ok the intake elbow was cracked a lot , that's a fact

there was a lot of dirt on the TB blades and especially in that little triangle on the bottom

now I believe the IAC takes air through that little triangle in the bottom when the engine is idling

car won't idle worth **** until it evens itself out...

I can guarantee there's dirt inside IAC or worse , peice of intake elbow rubber

hmm.... 1 + 1 = 59

I'm wondering if that may be it , dirt or even something caught in the IAC spring, so when I stay on the gas the engine gets air through the TB blades and not just the IAC "hole".

and eventually maybe the dirt kinda frees it and it evens itself out.

the sensor gives 60ohms when the key is on , but I never measured it when the car was idling (pretty much because I could never get the multimeter on there when it's bucking like crazy)

I suppose the bucking and bad idling could be caused by the IAC giving wrong readings and engine not knowing wtf is going on.

I'm gonna pull it today and at least inspect it , can't hurt right ?

am I making any sense or imagining things ?

if that's it then I to this board as I found the idea through the search
Old 04-14-2003, 12:27 PM

anyone knows how much a new one is ? I was gonna pick it up on the way home even before I inspect it , lol , it can't be that much but autozone.com is down :-( (I Kinda doubt they would have it anyway).
Old 04-14-2003, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Did you ever change the fuel filter? Pressure comes from the pump but if the filter is clogged there will not be any flow even though the pressure is fine. That would mean that the engine may begin to start but if there isn't enough flow to keep up it would die very quickly. The IAT can cause a rough idle condition.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:21 PM

no as stated above I never changed the fuel filter I will try again today as I sprayed some pb blaster all over it yesterday.

but the car runs perfectly fine after it evens itself out , that's why I don't think it's the filter but like I said , I already bought it so might as well attempt to put it in. (only problem there is if I break the fuel line I'll be ****ed, I need the car for daily commute) so I would rather wait 'till the weekend to attempt the fuel filter change.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:24 PM

btw I've seen you race your car at NED , that's one fast **** you got there
Old 04-14-2003, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by Zrout
anyone knows how much a new one is ? I was gonna pick it up on the way home even before I inspect it , lol , it can't be that much but autozone.com is down :-( (I Kinda doubt they would have it anyway).
Cleaning it may be good enough, but if not I just bought a new AC Delco one at advanced auto for $60.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:14 PM

well I took it out and it looked "ok" , black , dirty but not all that bad , so I of course cleaned it

question, should the IAC spring move in/out freely or with some force ? it takes quite a it of force to move it around. is this normal ?

in any case , 3 hours later I have the fans off, water pump, hoses, TB , any wireing , air pump, 3 bolts holding the crankshaft balancer/pulley

still have to pull the pulley off and rip out the opticrap.

hoping to finish the whole thing in under 10 hours, hopefully I can take a day off wednesday and finish it up then.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:32 AM

ttt
Old 04-15-2003, 01:51 PM

First thing, its rare to lose a vented opti. unless it picks up moisture from bad tubing. If you sprayed your air filter, you now have to clean the MAF. When you turn the IAC, it should have a very slight resistance you'll feel. If it looks rusty or dirty its probably bad. turn it in 5 or 6 turns and reinstall it. turn the key to on for 10 seconds and repeat 2 more times. now hit start. if it idles fast, pull it out and replace it. Check the 4 pin connector going to the opti. the cable is only about a foot long and there is another connector on the manifold. They go bad from heat and moisture. could easily be a bad connection.
You need a scanner. Don't you know a few people with the older PCMs who might be interested in going in with you to purchase one. Sounds like you've gotten away pretty cheap so far. Thats what we did. It stayed busy for the first 6 months and now I see it once a year maybe.
Have fun!
Old 04-15-2003, 08:45 PM

I appreciate that

but don't understand half of your post (the end of it).

what do you mean don't you know anyone with older style PCM ?

as far as opti, basically at this point I have to replace it , it's out of the car already after about 3 hours worth of work. New one is here , new waterpump too so I might as well go through it.

I will replace the IAC as well.

The way I see it is the car had 100k miles and everything on it was just about to break , right now I'm $600 in the hole , but even if it ends up being $1000 I still think I got away pretty cheap considering that the parts will last another 100k miles plus I learned tons and bought new tools that I will use later on other projects so overall I'm not too complaining. I just want it to be fixed already