LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

car wont do anything

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 04:59 PM

Angry car wont do anything

When I try to start my car it does nothing. Doesnt even crank. Im thinking its a starter problem so can anyone confirm this?
Old 10-10-2003, 05:09 PM

When you say "nothing" what does that mean?

Takes electricity. Check your lights. If no lights your battery is either dead or your connections are bad.

If lights, but they go out when you turn ignition, then you either have a bad connection or a bad battery.

You need to analyze. Start with juice. If juice, then probably the starter. If starer, tap on starter to see if it cranks.

My guess is your battery is shot.JMHO
Old 10-10-2003, 05:21 PM

battery is fine. when i trun the key it does nothing. When i say nothing i mean it doesnt make any sounds or you cant feel anything moving.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:38 PM

the SAME thing happened to me. NO NOTHING, turn the key all the way, it would act like nothing happened. it seemed as though there was no electricity getting anywhere. i went and got a friend, tried like 30 min later, and it worked.

On the way to test the alternator/battery, i was turning left and everything cut out for a second, then went back on. im assuming its wiring related. Havent really had the problem since, but im going to change the wires sooner or later.

(Btw, battery and alternator were fine... :P)
Old 10-10-2003, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by 94TEALz
battery is fine. when i trun the key it does nothing. When i say nothing i mean it doesnt make any sounds or you cant feel anything moving.
So, the headlamps work ok and they don't dim or anything when you turn the key to START? Do any dash lights/bells come on? Is the security light on? More details!
Old 10-10-2003, 05:47 PM

just to let you guys know, when i had this problem, it was a bad connection with my positive battery cable. everything in the car would come on until i went to crank it over. then nothing. it would sometimes do it while i was driving also. i had the bolts torqued on the cable and battery but it would still do it. the contact appeared to be clean when i checked it out. replaced the bolts on it. still didnt help. the only option left was to replace the cable. never had the problem again. just an idea.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:59 PM

Well i just went to go try and start it and on the first try she fires up,im really confused as to what i should do?should i just leave it alone and hope it doesnt do it again? Or find out what it was and make sure it is corrected?
Old 10-10-2003, 08:07 PM

ur aux power thing has corroded most likely...

i was driving once, and car died.... i mean EVERYTHING no response (no lights, no sound) later i noticed the plastic cover on the aux power unit has melted all over the aux power...

take out the plastic cover (dis. batt) and unscrew the bolt out of the aux power unit... and take out the car's power cable from it, and metal brush it CLEAN.. now metal brush the thing that it goes on clean too.. connect everything, bolt it up, and see if u get any power...

when this happened to me, i was sooo scared, i thought the car was gone... and when i figured it out, i was soo happy

connect someone's batt through jumper cables to the aux power unit and see if u get power like that

you better try this, cuz it took me a while to type this, and i'm missing dinner
Old 10-10-2003, 08:10 PM

does your radio and door lights and stuff work but it all cuts out when you turn the key. I will throw out ignition switch as the culprit from the little amount of info given.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:42 PM

When it wouldnt start the lights on the dah came on along with the radio and when i tried to start the car the radio and the dash lights went off then came back on after i stopped tryin to start it.The batterry is fine, just got done cleaning the posts and connections are fine.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:05 PM

Same thing happened to me, of course this was an older model camaro...but give this a shot. Check your starter cable, the one that runs from the battery to the starter, what happened to mine was that it wasn't getting good contact, ie it corroded. So maybe yours just needs to be tightened or scraped with a scour pad.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:50 AM

I am having the same problem with a 98 right now. It never showed any signs of a problem then when I turn the switch ... nothing. Everything else works. Bright lights ect. and I can hear the starter relay clicking. The silinoid (sp) on the starter doesn't even click like a dead bat. I put on the charger and even jumper cables. Checked fuses, relay. I haven't had time to really get into it yet but if I find it I will let you know.