LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Car wont idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 10:43 PM

Car wont idle

HELP!!!!!
Ever since I rebuilt my LT1 in my Imp It has been one problem after another. Most reasont is the car wont idle. Was coming home from work and the car was running fine. Came down an off ramp and after I let off the throttle the car died. Had a hell of a time getting it restarted. After it restarted it would not idle and was running extremely rich.
I got home and started checking different things. Plugs were gas soaked. Checked the AFPR and no gas in the line. Thought it might be a 02 sensor so I replaced both with old ones I had that were still good along with new plugs and no help.
I have to tell that for the last couple of weeks the car has had a bad tick. I had reasontly had the AFR's redone with new .650 lift valve springs, new valves and retainers. Thought it might be a header leak so I replaced the header gasket with no help. Was told it was a possible lifter so I ditched the Comp Cams OEM replacements for the "R" series lifters and new Trickflow pushrods and still no help. Now this. Could it be a bent valve or maybe the IAC sensor. I am going to put it on a laptop and free scan to check for codes. Please help me find this problem. I am ready to blow this #$%^ing car up and be done with it.
HVY SS
Old 12-26-2003, 07:00 AM

Remember that scanning is usefull for more than just codes. Like reading sensors, temps and conditions. There are a few codes like 41 and 42 that are stored without lighting the SES light. If that is the case then you have an ignition problem which is where you should check first. I would suggest you check spark first at the coil and then at the plugs.

If that is OK then check leak down at each cylinder. Leak down is better than compression since it will tell you exactly where you're loosing pressure. At this point you will inadvertantly be checking the condition of the valve train while doing so since each cylinder has to be at TDC.

If all that is ok then it's time to check fuel pressure. Notice this is last since you claim the plugs are wet. Well if you got this far with no problem, that's the last easy thing to check.