LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Car Wont Start, Fresh Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 09:14 AM

Post Car Wont Start, Fresh Rebuild

Okay, sorry for the long explanation but the more i list, i hope in turn will help solve the problem. I bought a 97 Camaro Z28 last year, with a bad engine, i swapped it for a good engine and kept the t56 trans. I got the engine rebuilt after about 3 months of the good engine running before it overheated and the head gaskets went. Since the rebuild, and getting it bored over, and such. I dropped the engine in and it ran just fine. I did bypass a few of the engine components that i felt i didnt need, Smog pump, egr, a/c clutch pulley. bypassing them because i put in short tube headers. I drove on the engine for about 300 miles est. maybe more. then one day i pulled into my driveway to shut the car off, fuel was low but not on "E". I Shut the car off and went inside for about a hour and so, got back out and the car wouldnt start, i felt it was a fuel issue, did a pressure check, was at really low fuel pressure (35psi). Had it towed up to my shop after that. Since then i put in a New Fuel Pump, Fuel Pump relay, Fuel pressure regulator, Coil, ICM, Distributor and optispark with new distributor harness. Even after all that the car just doesnt want to start, when i would turn the key to on it would make a clicking sound and display the abs inop message on dash, along with the check gauges message. The only way i could get it to start is when i wiggled the distributor harness where it plugs into the engine harness itself. and i had to get the abs inop message to appear inorder for it to start. Once it started it would idle like it wanted to stay running then randomly drop on its ***. I know im getting fuel and definently getting spark. Recently i cut the distributor harness wires and butt connected them together, so it bypassed the plug and pin part of the end towards the engine harness.. I called many mechanics they dont know the answer. Is there something i missed? Any suggestions? Oh btw i can get it to start for a few when i un plug the abs sensor on the top of the brake box or w/e to the left of the fuse box.

Thanks
Old 08-25-2011, 11:39 AM

Re: Car Wont Start, Fresh Rebuild

Whats you fuel PSI now KOEO?