LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

car wouldnt start, fans or pump turns on???

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 07:38 PM

car wouldnt start, fans or pump turns on???

i went to go start my car at about 5pm today at its like 50º out , and it was sitting out there for about an hour, and it started up fine but my air bag light was on . so i turned it off, checked the fuse (it was fine) and some kind of pump came on, it didnt sound like my fans at all, sounded like it was coming from the pass. side of the engine .)then tried to start the car again, but when i tired to turn it over i didnt even get a starter *click* it would just turn the accs. on and that was it. so i sat in the car for about 5 min. then the mysterious pump or fans turned off, and it started up just fine and i had no problems the whole way home. could this be my egr or air pump? im not framiliar with these emmissions systems, i read somewhere that the a.i.r. pump injects the motor or something with air so its cleaner exhaust, but i have gutted cat so that doesnt do anything to clean emissions up. anyways any info on this would be appreciated. thanks!
Old 04-01-2004, 07:43 PM

I have no idea..
I don't think anything is supposed to come on with the engine off except possibly the fans...
My only thought is that perhaps there's a fault somewhere in your electrical system?

If it does it again, I would listen around and see if you can locate exactly where it is and find out what's screwing up.

And your air pump pushes air into your exhaust manifolds to get fresh air to the burnt fumes coming out of the ports in order to complete more of the combustion process in the cat, so there's less unburnt gas coming out the pipes.

It sounds like your car is posessed.

Just like mine.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:57 PM

It sounds like your car is posessed.

Just like mine. [/B][/QUOTE]

i know ! i was getting ready to disconnect the neg bat. cable then the "ghost fans" shut off. why would they run though? the motor was cold? it was the wierdest thing i ve seen in a long time. when i sat in the drivers seat i could feel "shaking" from whatever pump/fan was on. it was very awkward.....
Old 04-01-2004, 11:18 PM

a guy that i work with said he thought it (ghost pump/fan) might have been the thing that propells (sp) the airbag, does ne one know if this is right? in my post above i mentioned that the airbag light came on when i started it. thanks
Old 04-01-2004, 11:40 PM

by propels do u mean how the airbag deploys?? i think the airbag deploys by burning some tablets that create a lot of gas really really fast, like how a bullet is pushed out of the barrel by the gas from burning gunpowder.

i have no idea about your "ghost fans" though.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by roadrage912
by propels do u mean how the airbag deploys?? i think the airbag deploys by burning some tablets that create a lot of gas really really fast, like how a bullet is pushed out of the barrel by the gas from burning gunpowder.

i have no idea about your "ghost fans" though.
yeah thats what i thought too, (some sort of fuel) , but should you be able to feel the fans , i mean the floorpan was vibrating pretty good, and in the summer i have never had this happen (fans after its off) plus the key was out of the ignition completely when the *ghost fans* were going off
Old 04-02-2004, 12:02 AM

the only way you'd feel the fans being on would be if they were unbalanced, and it would hafta be pretty bad i'm sure. but the fans are controlled by the PCM so they can't be on when the car is off and key out. they can only be on when the car is running or the key is turned foward to the "key on engine off" position. i would assume that there is something electrically wrong because nothing should still be on when the car is off and key out like that. just make sure that if it happens again you do your best to find where the noise is coming from. i dunno what it is but i'm pretty certain it's out of my league. good luck man and when u find out what it was be sure and post it up.