LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Car was wrecked... Getting it back tomorrow, anything to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 12:46 PM

Car was wrecked... Getting it back tomorrow, anything to look for?

Im getting my car back tomorrow from a wreck and it will be all nice and fixed.. I had a pretty bad accident that messed up my radiator and I got a used one put in.. I just want to know is there anything I should look at on the car mechanically befoe i leave there... They replaced the dash as well... are there any common problems that occur after someone has fixed something in the dash?? Rattle maybe? They work on all kinds of cars not just camaros so im worried they did something wrong.. The frame was bent alittle bit and the head lights were all obviously shattered to peices... So anything I should check for???
Old 11-06-2003, 02:05 PM

There is no frame per se. Have someone drive behind you to make sure you are "tracking" right.

Make sure rad hose connections secure.

Check to see if rad coolant level sensor is plugged into the socket (Rad Left facing it.)

Listen for strange noises in steering. Check for vibrations, rattles, etc.

Did your A bag work? Should it have?
Old 11-06-2003, 02:54 PM

Yea air bags went off.... Both... They replaced the whole upper dash... I hope they knew what they were doin. What do you mean tracking?? If you want a picture of the damage let me know and give me your email add.. or if you have aol just look at my profile pictures at the last few which are the wreck. SN is CyberSnyper00..
Old 11-06-2003, 03:27 PM

"Tracking" is how the wheels are following, i.e., does the vehicle look like its crabing (going sideways) etc. Don't know what would affect the tracking on a UNIBODY constucted vehicle (frameless like most vehicles today) but when framed vehicles suffered damage and not corrected you could watch a vehicle from the rear and see it crab down the street.

Suspension and steering components may cause simular behavior, if not corrected, following a collision.

It should be fairly obvious to someone following you on the straight away.JMHO
Old 11-06-2003, 03:37 PM

The wheels didnt get touched... Gimme your email and ill send you the pictures..... The driver side fender didnt even have a scratch..
Old 11-06-2003, 03:58 PM

E-Mail: Point and click on "E-Mail".
Old 11-06-2003, 04:01 PM

Woops.. Forgot.. lol.. Sent though anyway.. let me know what you think
Old 11-06-2003, 06:52 PM

ttt
Old 11-06-2003, 06:59 PM

easiest way to check tracking...... drive through some water, then onto dry pavement in a perfectly straight line, if its just 2 lines your good, but if theres 4
Old 11-06-2003, 07:01 PM

Im going to send you pictures of my car.. The wheels or anything didnt get touched... Only the front got a little damage.. Frame went back about half an inch or alittle more...
Old 11-06-2003, 07:19 PM

I would just worry about them beating the out of it after they put it together. I don't trust anybody with me car
Old 11-06-2003, 07:28 PM

Mostly any shop now knows about unibodies. Generally F-bods are considered "unfixable" if the framerails get mis-aligned (yes, there are front frame rails), but if just the "horns" are bent or just the radiator support or the strut towers, then they can fix it pretty easily....

Mostly, I'd look at how well the panels line up. It takes a lot of work to line up the plastic & fiberglass panels with the metal hood... check your gaps. Don't like it? Make'em fix it.

-Michael
Old 11-06-2003, 07:32 PM

Mike, sent you mail of my pics.. Let me know what you think about it... I have a pic of the frame damage around here somewhere...
Old 11-06-2003, 07:38 PM

Looks like you just whacked the radiator support. I assume they probably cut it out and put in a new one? They might have been able to straighten it....

I doubt there's "frame" damage beyond the radiator support (which is "technically" part of the frame), but then again, you didn't have any pic of under the hood

I've seen 4th gens damaged way beyond that still get fixed and look and drive GREAT afterwards... No worries. I bet they did a good job. Friend of mine had a '96 Trans Am WS6 that he bought at auction (totalled) and it was barely recognizable and they had to pull the strut tower out and replace the radiator support and all the under-supports (fender supports).. Your damage looks much less.

-Michael
Old 11-06-2003, 07:41 PM

Sent you more pictures... I couldnt open the hood when i took those but i did the best i could..

Quick Reply: Car was wrecked... Getting it back tomorrow, anything to look for?