LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

which cat-back is best?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 03:25 PM

how did u guys run across this gmmg exhaust? i have never heard of it! where do i look/ find it at? as i am looking into doing catback next, so far i am looking into hooker though
Old 07-02-2004, 03:28 PM

GMMG all the way....i have it....and def never heard anything better.....personally i think corsa sounds like crap....magnaflow anf hooker are good btu i think magnaflow is not loud enough......loud mouth is ok..but i had it and am no longer fan of it..

GMMG vote here.....for sound..reputation...compliments...i could keep goign lol...
if u have the money goo fro GMMG

GMMGinc.net
Old 07-02-2004, 03:31 PM

Research the corrosion that will happen with time on the Hooker cat-back.

Hooker, Magnaflow, Chokemaster, and LM are the less costly catbacks. LM is loud as hell and raspy, Flowmater doesn't have gains as good as the others, Hooker isn't stainless steel - so it rusts.

GMMG sounds awesome. Hooker sounds similar. Borla rasps with headers. So if you're going for deep, aggressive, and intimidating tone, along with the performance and durability, then GMMG, Borla (if you aren't going with headers), and Magnaflow are your options.

Also, since Corsa was brought up, they have a reputation for having quality issues.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by iNF3RNo
Research the corrosion that will happen with time on the Hooker cat-back.

Hooker, Magnaflow, Chokemaster, and LM are the less costly catbacks. LM is loud as hell and raspy, Flowmater doesn't have gains as good as the others, Hooker isn't stainless steel - so it rusts.

GMMG sounds awesome. Hooker sounds similar. Borla rasps with headers. So if you're going for deep, aggressive, and intimidating tone, along with the performance and durability, then GMMG, Borla (if you aren't going with headers), and Magnaflow are your options.

Also, since Corsa was brought up, they have a reputation for having quality issues.
i agree with everything he said

Corsa for quality issues.. i didnt know that....i mean 900 fro exhaust it better be quality lol
Old 07-02-2004, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by iNF3RNo
Issues? Uh, oh, what issues? Details please.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:15 PM

The welds coming apart. I don't recall which welds because I don't own Corsa setup, but there certainly was enough people complaining about it.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:21 PM

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...ght=corsa+weld

Post by Neil350:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by WOOS1
I have had a Corsa on my 96 T/A for about a two years now. I love the sound. Very quiet on the inside of the car. I recently installed Hooker LT's and y-pipe. Oh **** is it loud when you get on it. Still quiet inside the car at cruise.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 years wow, a bunch of people were having problems with broken bafles on the ls1 kits
There's a thread running around somewhere about the issue.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:34 PM

Id vote for the GMMG if you want to buy a catback.

I made my exhaust, its only axle back right now, but maybe one of these days ill finish it up.

I used the 2OTL style because seems like it restricts flow less, and it looks a little diffrent. I also worked in a cutout. Im gonna put some pics on my page(link in sig).

From what i have read though as long as its not a flowmaster its what kind of sound you want and how deep your wallet is.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:15 PM

SLP 2OTL all the way I could get a sound clip tomorrow if you want. TByrne usually has sales on SLP stuff so you should be able to get it for less than the 399 on SLP's site.

-Tony
Old 07-02-2004, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by Mystic95Z
SLP 2OTL all the way I could get a sound clip tomorrow if you want. TByrne usually has sales on SLP stuff so you should be able to get it for less than the 399 on SLP's site.

-Tony
i has the 2OTL too......beautiful sounding.....i just didnt like the exhaust exit on one side and wanted somthing different
Old 07-02-2004, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by gamecockfan04
Best exhaust for the money IMO is the Hooker and it was only $282 shipped to my door from Jegs. http://www.freehomepages.com/andyg/Hooker_Launch.avi
That was through manifolds and no cat. I'm glad my video is circulating the net.

http://www.freehomepages.com/andyg/LT_Launch.avi

That's with Hooker Long Tubes.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:00 PM

Damn, I think I'm even more lost now LOL.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:00 AM

its all about what you want to spend money on. i would have an exhaust shop do a custom exhaust for you, then you pick a muffler. do a carsound (magnaflow) cat, and pic a muffler and tips of your choice.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:06 AM

If the only problem with the hooker is the rusting issue, couldn't you coat it or cover it with something like POR15 and eliminate that issue?

GMMG seems like a great cat back, but not in the price range I am looking at. I am in the middle of a heads, cam, and header swap and I am finding more and more things that need replacing the further I get into the swap so money is a little tight right now. maybe the GMMG after the swap is completed. Man, I miss driving it. I have a flowmaster replacement muffler on right now, but it niether sounds good or performs good, so I need a good, cheap cat back that is compatable with LT headers.

Thanks for all the input. Keep it coming. I really appreciate it.

Joe
Old 07-03-2004, 12:41 AM

I just got my cam and header swap done a few weeks ago and I have hooker LTs, mufflex y-pipe and hooker cat back and I LOVE it! It sounds awsome (alot like a carbed big block IMHO). My friends say it roars when I do my burn outs at the track, but its not too load inside the car that you cant talk or listen to the radio. It went on ok, but its not quite long enough to stay connected to my y- pipe. But all in all i really like the sound. I need to get someone to hoast my sound clip of just an idel and a rev of my car. Hope you find what you are looking for in a system.

Jeremy

Quick Reply: which cat-back is best?