LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

CAUTION!! About Hotcam and Heads

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 03:51 PM

Re: CAUTION!! About Hotcam and Heads

Originally Posted by WSChris
Well Aaron I Guess You Were Right About Catching A Lot Of Crap From The Guys By Posting While Pissed! I Do Believe There Is A Lot Of Experience On This Board And It Seems Like Most Of The Guys Have Good Input/advice When You Need It. We've All Had Our Share Of Problems, Thats Usually How We Learn. And Face It, With This Hobby There Are A Lot That Can Go Wrong No Matter How Careful You Are! Sorry About The Bad Luck, Hopefully Whitewater Rafting In A Few Weeks Will Go Betterfor You! I Know I Hope So Since We're Going With! When It Comes Time For The Rebuild Let Me Know And Ill Help You Out Instead Of Jay (who Might Be A Nice Guy But I Dont Trust) Chris
you must REALLY like the shift key
Old 08-06-2004, 04:25 PM

nah, i think i had the caps lock on. i wonder why it wasn't all in caps? maybe we just found out what happens when you reply to a post under those conditions...
Old 08-06-2004, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by WS Sick
I also allways leave shop rags in the intake ports of the heads. It allways makes a nice little spark and flame like sparkler show out the exhaust on start-up. Sometimes I'll run a 1/2 cup of sand in with my oil for good measure
Well yeah, the sand is good to polish the bottom end internally.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:24 PM

Is there a difference between an SBC pickup and pan and the LT1s? I had a CC305 installed for about 2 weeks before it spun a bearing, and I was meticulous in keeping everything clean. I did not, however, drop the pan. I just got a new used motor and put in a bigger cam. This time I dropped the pan and put on a new oil pump with a white spring. If this one goes anytime soon due to a bearing failure, I'm parting it out. Too much time and money for far too many frustrations. I don't buy into the core-shift idea, cause I never had the heads off, don't think it was debris, because I was meticulous and the motor was in immaculate condition. I would expect these cars to handle 6800 rpm on a stock rotating assembly, and maybe thats the issue. Would having a bit too much oil help at all? I would be willing to sacrifice a bit of power to windage if it ensures some better reliability.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:12 PM

i have to wonder about the coolant in the oil
when my head gasket went south more than half the coolant went
into the oil pan, i even refilled the radiator to make sure of the problem
and it ran out as quick as it went in , and the car sat for about two weeks
and after i repaired it i never had a problem with a spun bearing.
maybe it was the castro gtx oil?
Old 08-08-2004, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by WS Sick
Did the blown headgasket blow between cylenders, to the lifter valey , or into a coolant passage?

The first two can be driven around for quite a while with nothing but a little extra tick noise and a loss of power as the key, the last would be alot more noticeable. Usually coolant into the oil making it milky and or water out the exhaust.
Coolant in the oil and white smoke. Actually, after a while it was only water in the oil- It kept using coolant so fast, and I kept adding it, so the coolant was clear instead of green
Old 08-08-2004, 11:22 AM

Hee Hee Hee I Have Caps Lock On Lets See!!!! White Water Rafting Here I Come
Old 08-08-2004, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Smokn '94 Z
Well I too must be one of the good, unexpierienced, lucky head and cam swap guys... I am lucky I guess.
just wanna step in here and say that i too did all my own work in a friends garage (regular old 3 car garage) had both heads off at the same time, was relatively fighting the cam to get it into the motor (thought the journals were too big at 1st) got it in and now have 2000 miles on my setup with it seeing 7000rpm (revlimiter) a few times at the track and dyno
she runs good so far

steve
Old 08-08-2004, 03:32 PM

dont drive your car you will spin a bearing or throw a rod, or some one will hit you, anything can happen heck i threw a rod with 60k on the clock!!
my guess is going to go toward something getting down there!! you siad it was down for 4 weeks, that leaves plenty of opportunity for something to oopsy!!
Old 08-08-2004, 07:25 PM

Hot cam and ported heads about 3,500 miles ago, no problems yet. 91,500 miles on car. I have made 20-30 trips down the track too. Have had several other problems like opti, wires and plugs.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:48 PM

Well, since the error has been pointed out and this has become a show of hands I'll throw my experience in as well.

I've gone through a couple of cams already and am gearing up for another cam swap... my setup is always changing I've also had the heads off and when I get the time they'll be coming off again. I've ran my stock shortblock up to 6500 RPM on many occassions. So far she's still holding together.

I don't know of any spun bearings from all the local cam swaps either, I've even helped on some

I too believe that it's contamination that causes this problem. A lot of people have done some pretty crazy things. For example, using sandpaper to clean the gasket surfaces You shouldn't even use the abrasive pads to do such a thing!
Old 08-09-2004, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by FastZinTennessee
Coolant in the oil and white smoke. Actually, after a while it was only water in the oil- It kept using coolant so fast, and I kept adding it, so the coolant was clear instead of green
My buddy had a 68 camaro with a 350 in it with a severely blown head gasket, it was pretty funny because everytime that cylenders exhaust pulse came out the exhaust about a cup of water came with it, kinda like a glorified sprinkler...lol