LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

cc306?? or le2 cam

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 08:38 PM

Re: cc306?? or le2 cam

You will need the shorter dowel pin. You can just cut them off.

Not familiar with those springs.

For the 847 crane recommends
CLOSED 115 LBS
OPEN 336 LBS
and of course enough lift to prevent coil bind.

Im running the k motion k-800 springs. They are plenty for the 847 or 306.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:02 PM

Do those springs fit on the stock seats in the heads, diameter wise? How did you shorten your dowel pin? Also how much did it have to be shorted?
Old 08-26-2004, 10:32 PM

You have to remove the stock cups and run a standard shim, but yes they fit. They are 1.46 OD.

Im running a 95 style opti, but the measurements are flating around here somewhere for the 92-94 length
Old 08-27-2004, 12:39 AM

Ran 12.46@113 with clutch slippage on launch and the upshifts. Once the SPEC stage 4 goes in, I'll be looking for 12.0s or high 11s. I shift at 6400rpm and pull 1.8x 60's with a 6spd and full weight(3600 race weight).

Check sig for mods.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:44 PM

Do you have the heads done also? I noticed it said 11.8:1 compression just wondering. I'm leaning toward the 847 cam and sticking with my 1.5 roller rockers since the lift on the 847 with 1.5's is real close the the 306 with 1.6's. This way I can save $200-300 on the install. Hoping I have the hardened pushrods, and my stock lifters are in good shape, I have 70,000 miles on them. then I can just buy a timing chain set, gaskets, cam, long tubes x pipe setup, computer tune and I shoud be good to go hopefully. I dont know if the extra exhaust duration from the 306 makes it a better cam or the extra intake duration on the 847 I guess I'll just pick one and hope for the best.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:55 PM

I just have rebuilt stock heads, the compression bump is just from the pistons/head gasket.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:54 AM
Banned

I would say the LE2 is probably your best choice, IF you do the valvetrain the right way.

Jon A and atljar are probably the two guys to ask about cam only setups since they have the most power out of them.

IMHO 1.6:1's are worth the effort.

Bret
Old 08-28-2004, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
I would say the LE2 is probably your best choice, IF you do the valvetrain the right way.

Jon A and atljar are probably the two guys to ask about cam only setups since they have the most power out of them.

IMHO 1.6:1's are worth the effort.

Bret
On the 1.6 note... I wouldnt trust the stock stamped rockers with the bigger spring pressures you are getting into with the afore mentioned cams either.
Old 08-28-2004, 06:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by atljar
On the 1.6 note... I wouldnt trust the stock stamped rockers with the bigger spring pressures you are getting into with the afore mentioned cams either.
Ditto,

SA rockers would also be out of the question if it was me too.

Dont forget about pushrods, higher spring pressures mean higher loads on the pushrods and with enough pressure the pushrods can be bent.

Bret
Old 08-29-2004, 02:27 PM

I already have roller rockers but they are a 1.5 ratio and I think with the 847 cam the lift with 1.5 is .539/.556 wich is pretty good lift for stock heads since their flow falls off at about .550. About the pushrods 93-95 camaros have hardened pushrods and from what I've heard they should hold up pretty good. hopefully. I figure once I get the heads done later on then I'll go with the 1.6 roller rockers, because then the heads will flow good above .600 and I'll only be at .575/.595. On the le2 cam I still dont know if you can buy them with out the heads????
Old 08-29-2004, 04:59 PM

only as a head/cam package.

Lloyd Elliott
NightTrain66@msn.com
Old 08-29-2004, 05:08 PM

The extra lift will help make power, even on the stock heads. Sometimes people think many of these things that make a bigger difference on ported heads make no difference at all on stock heads. They do make a difference but naturally not as large a one. You could always sell the 1.5's to help fund some 1.6's and then you'd have them for when you get the heads done.

You kind of need to decide on a budget and keep that in mind with your goals. If you want max power with some durability, it's going to cost more. For example, I wouldn't have considered using my stock pushrods with my cam, hardened or not. I also went with Comp R's just to be safe. You might get away without, but you'd be living a bit more dangerously. Or, you could choose a cam that isn't quite as aggressive that won't be nearly as hard on things...but you won't make as much power. The CC305 would be a great choice here.

I think the 847 and cc306 are both great cams but you will be wasting some of their potential by shifting early. They'll still be faster than a cam that falls on its face after 6K, but that doesn't mean they're the best choice either. If you want max power shifting at 6500, that's about exactly what I wanted when I contacted Bret to make me a custom cam (I simply couldn't find any off the shelf cam that would give me what I was looking for). He got me exactly what I needed. Here's my graph:

http://www.jonaadland.com/NewPics3/Camdyno.JPG

While it technically "peaks" at 6100, you'll see it looks quite different from the popular XE cams that peak about the same time. I'm within about 10 HP of my peak for the span of 1100 RPM. It beats those cams before the peak and after the peak--even if they had the same peak, which they usually do not. That's why people at the track pretty much won't believe me when I tell them how much power I have...they think I have a lot more. The 305, 306 and 847 all sort of do a similar thing to varying degrees, at different levels and at different RPM ranges.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the LE2 cam, how it would perform on stock heads or if you can even get it without heads. Sorry, can't help you there.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jon A
The extra lift will help make power, even on the stock heads. Sometimes people think many of these things that make a bigger difference on ported heads make no difference at all on stock heads. They do make a difference but naturally not as large a one. You could always sell the 1.5's to help fund some 1.6's and then you'd have them for when you get the heads done.

You kind of need to decide on a budget and keep that in mind with your goals. If you want max power with some durability, it's going to cost more. For example, I wouldn't have considered using my stock pushrods with my cam, hardened or not. I also went with Comp R's just to be safe. You might get away without, but you'd be living a bit more dangerously. Or, you could choose a cam that isn't quite as aggressive that won't be nearly as hard on things...but you won't make as much power. The CC305 would be a great choice here.

I think the 847 and cc306 are both great cams but you will be wasting some of their potential by shifting early. They'll still be faster than a cam that falls on its face after 6K, but that doesn't mean they're the best choice either. If you want max power shifting at 6500, that's about exactly what I wanted when I contacted Bret to make me a custom cam (I simply couldn't find any off the shelf cam that would give me what I was looking for). He got me exactly what I needed. Here's my graph:

http://www.jonaadland.com/NewPics3/Camdyno.JPG

While it technically "peaks" at 6100, you'll see it looks quite different from the popular XE cams that peak about the same time. I'm within about 10 HP of my peak for the span of 1100 RPM. It beats those cams before the peak and after the peak--even if they had the same peak, which they usually do not. That's why people at the track pretty much won't believe me when I tell them how much power I have...they think I have a lot more. The 305, 306 and 847 all sort of do a similar thing to varying degrees, at different levels and at different RPM ranges.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the LE2 cam, how it would perform on stock heads or if you can even get it without heads. Sorry, can't help you there.

you dont have a sig: but i was wondering what youve done to your car more specificly do you have ported heads or not. or did you just buy a custom cam for stock heads.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:23 PM

thats some good info. Thanks, lloyd for letting me know about the cam. I wish I could get the le2 package now but with the roll cage install, new torque arm, driveshaft loop, 5 point harness, long tubes, x pipe, mufflers, turn downs, and everything I need to make the convertible track legal it really cuts my budget on the engine. But my exact words when I got told to leave the track the last time for running 13.5 I told them it wasn't getting a cage until I knew it ran 12's at least so I figure throw the cam in it If the budget permits I will change the lifters, and pushrods and if I find any takers on my 1.5 roller rockers than I will buy 1.6's. But if no one buys them I wont let them stop me from putting it back together with them for the time being. The only bad thing about getting a custom cam is it might work good for what I have right now but, when I do the heads later it might not work so well then?? I dont know for sure. If I go with the 847 on stock heads and pull low 12's then I'll be more than happy, because I know when I do the heads probably next year, then I'll easily be in the low to mid 11's, and that will be awesome because then when money permits I'll slowly be building another short block into a 383 and then swap parts to it and who knows 10's could be possible?
Old 08-29-2004, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by 97Z-M6
you dont have a sig: but i was wondering what youve done to your car more specificly do you have ported heads or not. or did you just buy a custom cam for stock heads.
Sorry, I really need to update my site. The heads are 100% stock (never been off the car) as is the intake and throttle body. Stock water pump. Basically all I have is the BRE cam (with the rest of the valvetrain componenets, bigger injectors, programming, etc, to go with it), cold air and exhaust.

Quick Reply: cc306?? or le2 cam