LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Changed plugs and wires, but have a question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 08:30 PM

Changed plugs and wires, but have a question

I changed the plugs (NGK TR55) and wires (some cheapo ones with a lifetime warranty) today. It took a long, long time to put all of them in since it was my first time but it was way worth it. Two of the wires were hold on by a few threads, others had small faults. One of the plugs had the porcelin cracked all the way down, others were black all over, maybe two looked healthy. After a few problems and with help from one of my buddies we changed all of the plugs and wires, but I'm confused about the wires. The set I bought came with 10 wires, not 9. It had one with two ends like they both went on the distributor, but I didn't use it. Any use for that wire? I figured it was just a set for both vented opti and non-vented opti and it gave me both wires.

The difference in performance is amazing. I'm guessing that it's not missing anymore cause it use to shake the engine real bad but now it's doing a whole lot better. Hardly shaking at all. I compared it to my buddy's Trans Am and it shakes less. I'm not use to it running right.

So did I miss a wire or am I doing good?
Old 08-02-2006, 08:34 PM

Re: Changed plugs and wires, but have a question

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, it's a lot harder to start now. It was hard to start before, it would take a few turns over, but now it really struggles with it. I had the alternator tested and it came up good, so I'm guessing it's the battery. One day I had one of my buddies jump my battery because I forgot and left something on inside and that whole day it started up way better. Is my battery dying?
Old 08-02-2006, 08:53 PM
Banned

Gapping your plugs to .035 will take the load off of the opti and it will probably fire quicker.
If it is just turning slow load test the bat.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:09 PM

It runs really well after it starts up, it's just starting up that sucks. I had the battery tested a while back and they said it was ok, but I think a new battery will do better. I'm going to trade my battery with my buddy who helped me today for a day or so and see how it works out.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:36 PM
Banned

Sounds like a plan.