LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

changing oil pan gasket

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 07:42 AM

changing oil pan gasket

For the people who unfortunately had to do this, what's the best way to go about it? I saw that I hat to remove the y pipe and starter. What else needs removed and what did you use as your lift points on the engine? How far do I need to lift it? Any things I need to be careful of? Any tricks?

Thanx in advance

Posted from Camaroz28.com App for Android
Old 06-12-2013, 01:54 PM

I will share what I did to change my oil pump(at least what I remember as it may. I have an aftermarket 8qt pan that had to get out of the way. I pulled my exhaust off of headers, had to remove dust shield. I had to pull starter(I left wires hooked up just wire tied it up and out of the way(carefully). I used my happy hooker and cherry picker to lift and support motor. I removed the motor mount bolt on each side, I then pulled the three bolts that hold kmember on. I left the strut bolts attatched. Kmember dropped(sagged) and I raised motor the rest that I needed. When I had installed pan motor was out of car and I lifted motor with happy hooker and dropped the k member enough to swap pans. Prior to that I had put a new gasket on when doing the rebuild and had used a little silicone past the recommended places so my gasket help in place for the two drops and the swap. There are some threads on droppi g the pan and on changing gasket so do some searches and you will get some tips. Try on google also. Good luck.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Banned

Re: changing oil pan gasket

The oil pan gasket change was pretty easy. I didn't even lift the engine to change it out. Make sure everything is clean before dropping the pan, clean everything around and under the pan. Being clean is the most important part here the rest is cake. I also used non-hardening gasket sealer by the timing chain cover and the rear of the engine also, specially in the corners. Don't over do it just a touch.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:39 PM

I just changed my pump a few weeks ago. remove the driver side cat and just unbolt the pass. side from the manifold flange. remove the starter, converter cover, low oil sensor, and dipstick tube. pull the two bolts from the motor mounts. you may have to jack the motor up a hair to get the pressure off the mounts. jack the motor up as far as possible. I used two blocks I cut from a 2x4 and wedged them between the motor mounts to hold the motor up. unbolt the oil pan and wiggle it out. you may have to turn the crank by hand a little but once it lines up to the right spot it will pretty much just drop out. I always use the felpro permadry gaskets they go in dry and have never had one leak on me.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:10 AM

Thanx for the replies guys, I will be doing it this weekend if this rain ever goes away.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:52 PM

You won't be able to fully drop the oil pan out without jacking the motor up (and lowering the k-member a few inches in some cases). The other option would be to unbolt the pan without actually dropping it and feeding the oil pan gasket under the windage tray and oil pump (which is what I did). Be careful, that tray is pretty sharp.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:10 PM
Banned

Trust me you don't have to jack the motor up just to change the gasket. You take all the oil pan bolts out then the oil level sending unit (maybe before =)) on side of the pan. You slide the gasket out under the pan on the outside, not through the inside. You re-install it the same way, slide the new gasket under the pan and top of the k member and slip it into place. Since you have to slide it under the pan on the outside of it is why I said make sure it's all clean so you don't drag dirt into your oil system.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:06 PM

Lets face it LT1s are prone to leaking. So take precaution, buy GM gaskets, and take your time.

M6s are easier to change oil pan gaskets on, so less work may be required. I see you have an A4 so life will suck for this job.

Remove the 2 motor mount bolts. Find a bolt that theads into the unused hole in the block next to the water pump holes, you will use this to lift the engine from the front with a cherry picker. DO NOT lift from the Balancer.
For extra room you can take the nut off the trans mount and lift from the trans pan.

Depending on your exhaust setup it may be easier to drop the y pipe. the more room you can get the better.

Remember 1/4 inch drive swivels are awesome!