LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

changing plugs ???s

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 09:41 AM

Re: changing plugs ???s

I had the SLP headers before, and now have Hooker. It took twice as long to do the plugs with the SLP's. It's actually halfway easy with the Hooker long tubes
Old 03-18-2006, 06:46 PM

well i tried again today to get the number 8 and 6 in, still couldnt do it, so tomorrow im gonna undo the y pipe and starter, then if i can get it in the morining im gonna have to take the headers off to just to change plugs, i swear sometimes i hate these f%ing cars
Old 03-18-2006, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by mickeyiz28
well i tried again today to get the number 8 and 6 in, still couldnt do it, so tomorrow im gonna undo the y pipe and starter, then if i can get it in the morining im gonna have to take the headers off to just to change plugs, i swear sometimes i hate these f%ing cars
I had jet hot lt's on my 94 and i could do pretty much everything from the top or really easily from the bottom, however i had a/c delete also, what i always did is pull the starter for plug 8 and 6 wasnt no problem with that beast out of the way, ive changed plugs so many times in a 4th gen itd make almost anyones head spin, just keep your patience you'll learn little tricks as you go, bumps bruises and scrapes on your arm to come soon lol.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by bow94z
where do ya get the short plug socket from?
I took a cutting wheel to a cheap plug socket from Wal-Mart. Honestly you can't beat it. Took me a little over an hour to change all eight. At points I had to tighten it by hand with the plug socket, but all said and done it works great.

Mark the plug socket to the length where it will barely fit a plug inside of it (with it attached to a ratchet), and then cut it off.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:50 PM

I've got mac mid-length and they are a breeze,half hour tops for all of them. Are you using the type of socket the has a place for a 3/4 wrench to fit?? I use the wrench to get to most of mine, hardly have to use a ratchet.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by mickeyiz28
i feel sorry for u already kingman, i tried it again today and managed to get the #8 off, but now i cant get the #7 or #8 back in, i dred getting the other 2 out, but it is definately pure hell trying to change plugs with slps
It's not that bad, I've got the D/C version and did my plugs 3 years ago with them in place and the dual cats. Make sure you have the right tools like I do and you should be fine even though you have different SLP headers than I do.

You can read about my plug exploits from 3 years ago here, some of what I did might help you with your plug swap.

I would be kinda worried about when you say you got #8 or whatever cyl. plug out and now you can't get the new one in, have these plugs ever been removed from the heads before? If they've never came out there's a chance you might strip the threads in the head. If that's not the case make sure you put a dab of anti-seize on the threads of the new plugs before screwing them into the heads. Good luck.

Tony
Old 10-02-2007, 04:13 PM

Plug shouldn't get tighter again as you turn after the initial break loose point should it? (rhetorical question) Methinks I've got a serious problem, doesn't look like these have ever been removed (103k miles eep!) REALLY pullin trying to get it loose and its just not coming. This is plug #1!

Seriously (Im not a puss) I've got the wrench on the end of the socket (I think the socket's stuck) and Im pulling on this thing as hard as I can and its movin millimeters, am i fooked or what?

Last edited by yell-01vette; 10-02-2007 at 04:33 PM. Reason: more
Old 10-03-2007, 03:25 PM

that's why a little anti-seize is nice, and not over torque

i had to pound on the wrench a little with a small rubber mallet to break em loose after 3 or 4 years and no anti-seize. i got the short socket and goodwrench ratcheting combo wrench. i also drew a couple lines with the copper anti-seize stick on the new plugs before snuggin up.

Last edited by stopthatman; 10-03-2007 at 03:28 PM.