LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

changing spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 12:57 PM

changing spark plugs?

I have been doing some research on the site and found very little in the way of how hard they are to change. I have set a side 9 hours to do this.. I work on all my own cars and have changed plugs in a number of v-6 cars but never a 350 slammed into a camaro. I just wanted to know if there were any tricks to the game. I read that you should take off the starter but other than that, nothing. My friend said that you have to unhook the motor mount and jack the engine up to get the back ones. Is that true? I was also going to go with Taylor Wires but have heard mixed reviews on them. Any advice would be good thanks.

Sean
Old 03-09-2006, 01:06 PM

Re: changing spark plugs?

There should be plenty of information on changing plugs available in the search function so I won't address that here. Having just done it, if I had to change the wires again with stock manifolds, I would drop the starter and all exhaust below the manifolds first. I had to take out the left side cat to get to the #5-7 heatshield bolts and I should have taken out the right side pipe-it would have really saved time and skin.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:07 PM

Drivers side is pretty simple, Get #1 & #3 from underneath. #5 & #7 from the top. They arent bad.

Take the alternator off to make getting in at #2 ( Front cylinder on pass. side) simpler. I never took the starter off. And pretty much the rest on the passanger side will fight you except the furthest back. Have universals, 3/8" and 1/4" drives, and it really helps to get the special spark plug socket for these cars that i think SLP makes? I used one once it makes life easier.

Only replace it with AC Delco plugs. Inless your doing some cutsom set up that owuld require something else. They do suck to change, and they take a little while, plan on at least 2 hours for your first time ( If you have headers it goes faster) Wires are a pain in the nuts on the passanger side. They take a while cause all the clips will fight you. I strongly advise getting over the valve cover OTVC wires for it such as Elite Spark Plugs wires. Full life time warrenty too. Plus if you get headers your now a step ahead of the game cause headers always fry up stock style (Along the block) routed wires.

Good luck. Get yourself some beer, lack of women and children, and some band aids. It will make your day a little more relaxed.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:09 PM

if you remove the motor mount bolt on the passenger side, and jack the motor up 2" you can get to all 4 on that side form the top with little problem.

i found that easier than removing the exhaust and starter.

my first time doing it, alone, in the driveway...plugs and wires...4.5hrs.

routing the wires is half the hassle. to get to the front loom, remove the tensioner pulley...really quick and makes it much eaiser.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:31 PM

I've never had to jack up the motor or remove the exhaust...with or without headers. It's easier if you remove the alternator, but not absolutely necessary if you have small hands and a good selection of tools.

Now that I've got SLP headers and a BMR k-member, I actually look forward to changing plugs! Ok, maybe I'm not THAT excited, but it's WAY better now. ;-)