LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Changing Water Pump.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 08:57 PM

Question Changing Water Pump.

I have been trying to figure out why I have such weak power steering. Well, today I found what was the problem. I have water on my belt and the under side of my hood which is either coming from a hose or the pump (most likely the pump). This is the first real mechanical work I will be doing on my car (besides basic maintenance). I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks to changing the pump and would be worth trying to upgrade to en electric water pump?
Old 01-16-2005, 09:10 PM

Re: Changing Water Pump.

Electric WP's are a nice way to squeeze 10 rwhp/tq out of your LT1. Although the waterpump is one of the components on an LT1 I dont want failing completely. You see the stocker is mechanically operated, which means if it fails it might still get you home without damaging your engine. If the electric one fails it just quits and rapidly heats up your engine which could cause permanent or fatal problems to your engine. When I was at the cross roads with the same option I though to myself that there are HP parts and function parts. Some you can replace and get HP and not decrease your reliability, others like the WP are function parts and to me it wasnt worth compromising my motor working for 10HP.

As far as the install try as hard as you can not to get coolant all over your opti, or youll be taking off the WP all over again to replace that. You'll haVe to take a fan out probably. Its pretty easy, like 6-8 bolts and its out. Youll need a rachet/socket set, and some extensions. You'll also have to reuse your coolant temp sensor on the front, so use some teflon tape to reseal it to the new WP. Becareful when you take it off, even though you may have drained the coolant there will still be some left in a few of the hoses and WP. Try to tilt it back as you remove it. I bought my WP from Dal at Van Devere. Any other questions let me know.

-Dustin-
Old 01-17-2005, 02:59 AM

You'll also have to take the A.I.R. pump off which is right next to the waterpump. I recommend buying your waterpump since these come with a lifetime warranty. This warranty comes in usefull if you ever pull the water pump off in the future for something like a cam install, so all you have to do is take it in and get a brand new WP at that time in the future.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:10 AM

Get the electric WP. My electric one was bought from jegs.com, it is a CVR pump and it was on sale for $114 (normally over 200).

You can rig a light on your dash to light up when your pump goes out, so it wont cause any damage.

Last edited by Inutero; 01-18-2005 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:26 AM

Inutero and I bought our cvr electric WP's at the same time both from Jegs, they SAID they don't have anymore but I don't know if that's true. Give them a call if you wanna go the EWP route. I like mine alot. If you do go that route there are a few minor modifications you'll have to make such as, I had to shave some of the plastic off my fans and the silencer (donkey dong) on your air elbow will have to be taking off. Over all it was a pretty easy install in my opinion.(except for the fact I was one of the lucky few who killed my opti in the process.............BE VERY CAREFUL H20 KILLS OPTI'S)!!!!
Old 01-17-2005, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by redcamaroz28
You'll also have to take the A.I.R. pump off which is right next to the waterpump. I recommend buying your waterpump since these come with a lifetime warranty. This warranty comes in usefull if you ever pull the water pump off in the future for something like a cam install, so all you have to do is take it in and get a brand new WP at that time in the future.
I like that idea. I can get a mechanical one for a good price, and then replace it with an electric pump when it begins to leak.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:46 PM

They are easy to change. Mine took about 2 hours completely. You should eliminate your AIR while you are there. Let me know if you have any probs. Good luck
Old 01-17-2005, 09:57 PM

When removal the water pump does the water pump drive shaft assembly need to be removed?
Old 01-17-2005, 10:17 PM

The drive shaft coming out of the timing cover stays put.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by 30696bird
Inutero and I bought our cvr electric WP's at the same time both from Jegs, they SAID they don't have anymore but I don't know if that's true. Give them a call if you wanna go the EWP route. I like mine alot. If you do go that route there are a few minor modifications you'll have to make such as, I had to shave some of the plastic off my fans and the silencer (donkey dong) on your air elbow will have to be taking off. Over all it was a pretty easy install in my opinion.(except for the fact I was one of the lucky few who killed my opti in the process.............BE VERY CAREFUL H20 KILLS OPTI'S)!!!!

lol you had to cut some of the plastic on your fans? I thought I was gonna have too also, but with some delicate maneuvering (LOL) I was able to get it all to fit.

I did have to chop the donkey dong off though, but I have a 1LE on the way right now anyways.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:27 PM

Hey Chris, I have the CSR WP too... I love it, super easy way to free up a little hp. The install was super easy, David and I did it in a day. I did had to shave a bit off the fans, also. LEt me know if you need help or anything, I'm just a couple of hours away from you!

natalie

P.S. I know a while ago you were thinking of getting a few people together for Mardi Gras, you still planning on that?
Old 02-02-2005, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by FlyBono24
I swapped my opti a few weeks ago... and obviously had to take off the water pump in the process. The manual said I had to remove the AIR pump to even access the WP, but I didn't see it. Did the 93's have the AIR system? What does it look like?
1993s had the AIR pump mounted on the LH frame rail beside (but not on) the engine. Still, even that could have been previously removed by someone.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by PurplePonyEatr
P.S. I know a while ago you were thinking of getting a few people together for Mardi Gras, you still planning on that?
Yeah if you guys want o meet up let me know.

I have basically just installed normal a water pump. I didn't have enough time to go with the electric option (it would have taken to long to ship the unit). I kept my old core unit and will just use that one with the electric unit. That way if the electric pump fails I will have a backup ready.