LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

CHECK THIS OUT!! Super Oil Additive

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 05:21 PM

Re: CHECK THIS OUT!! Super Oil Additive

Originally posted by 5.7LT1Formula
i know many maybe thinking that i'm prolly full of it but you have to check this site out for yourself. i've meet the guy (Chemist Dave Parsel) in person a couple of times and his product really works!

i ran it in my 89 mustang for a few years (12-16oz added once in the motor) and it had 150,000 on it. i sold my car to some dumb chick when it had 200,000 on it...she never changed the oil and ran it till the motor(2.3) had 2quarts left, the sensor shut it off in time so it wouldnt do much damge but she has never changed the oil or filter since i've sold it to her!!!!! and yup...its still running and i beat the crap out of it when i had it... and i'm told she's done the same! the additive works great in motors, trans, steering and mixing up in grease tubes for ball joins etc...

Check out These Links: (demo vids on oil tests may need Broadband connection)

www.motorkote.com
http://www.motorkote.com/vs_lucas.shtml
http://www.motorkote.com/vs_lucas.shtml
http://www.motorkote.com/test_results.shtml
One simple question. What did it do to your car to convince you it was a good product?
Old 02-27-2004, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Well, just got back from the father's house. He showed me a gallon of "stuff" he had just purchased. It is an oil additive. I know, I know... snake oil. However, what sold him on this was a demonstration. A few years ago he saw this guy selling this stuff at a flea market... an oil additive. He had a V6 engine running there at the flea market sitting there idling away. It had no oil in it, no valve covers on it, and no oil pan... you could see everything and it was just running there all day. Well, he went to another flea market this last weekend and saw the same guy with what he said was the same engine still running strong with no oil. My dad is not a stupid guy but the same engine running a few years later still with no oil got his interest so he said "screw it" and bought some. He's going to try it out and do some testing on his own

The guy selling it claimed to be the "inventor" of this stuff. Here is his website...

http://www.ixldave.com

I'll let you know if the stuff does any good or not. I suspect though my dad wasted his money because, as usual, this stuff sounds too good to be true. But, the engine running all day with no oil is kinda impressive
Old 02-27-2004, 02:11 PM

If you are really going to test this stuff do it scientifically. Get a oil sample from your engine and send it out for analysis. It will tell you the different levels of all substances in the oil.

Insert snake oil here, then drive 3000 miles

send oil out for analysis again, see if the amout of metal contaminates in the oil drop.

This way you can post your results, and people might take you seriousely.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:15 PM

If it sat there all day running at 6000 rpm, then I might be impressed. You have to remember that there is no load on that engine, either.

I used to hear of Model T's that would run fine with bent and broken cranks and such. Things were a little different then.

It's just that most of these types of claims have been refuted and people sued for false advertising that makes it doubtful of the product.

Let us know what happens.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:17 PM

That is a good idea, and here is a great place to get your oil sample tested:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/index.html

I have been using them for years, and they have great service and tech support.

Let us know.

The test kits are free, and a report is $19.95.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:41 PM

I have to admit, that is one of the lamest things I have read on this site lately.

For an engine to run very long at all without lubricant, without suffering complete failure due to metal to metal friction is beyong belief.

Some day perhaps, but not at the present or in the near future.

I've read accounts of "additives" claiming to provide a friction resistant coating that allowed the cars (in this case cabs) to run a considerable distance without oil, however, as I recall they all, wihout exception, eventually (after just a few miles) suffered severe metal fatigue.

However, if anyone can show me a product that dramatically increases engine life, put me down for few cases.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by BUBBA
I have to admit, that is one of the lamest things I have read on this site lately.

For an engine to run very long at all without lubricant, without suffering complete failure due to metal to metal friction is beyong belief.
I don't know what to tell ya. I guess I'll just have to go back and tell my father he's a liar.

It may be as shoebox suggested... it was idling and not under load. Either way, my father did examine the running engine pretty closely and it had no oil pan and no valve covers and you could clearly see it running. He is somewhat mechanically inclined and could tell it was not an electric motor with loudspeaker sounds of exhaust.

Last edited by Brent94Z; 02-27-2004 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:54 PM

I'm curious, Brent, what test your father's going to do. Does he actually have a way to measure whether there was any improvement?

Dave
Old 02-27-2004, 03:05 PM

No,no,no. I certainly wouldn't dispute the fact that an engine without any load at all couldn't run quite nicely at a low, non-heating revolutions if the bearings and rotating surfaces were made of teflon like materials or coated with some such...

After all, electric motors can run for seriously long times without bearing failure without contiuous oil flow.

But, its just my opinion, that we are talking the old apples and ... scenario.

Probably won't hurt as an additive, but as a replacement or even a safeguard for those who don't monitor their oil supply, I believe it is just a waste of money as well as a false sense of security.

Hell, you can spin a bearing with a full pan of oil. Trust me on that one.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by LPEdave
I'm curious, Brent, what test your father's going to do. Does he actually have a way to measure whether there was any improvement?

Dave
It's not going to be overly scientific I can tell ya that He is going to run it in his boat and monitor the temperature. The temperature normally runs fairly constant and consistent so, while not completely scientific, if the temperature drops it might be doing something. The guy selling this stuff claimed he'd see a temperature decrease. We'll see. Like I said before, I don't really expect this to work but since the old man showed me this stuff today and I rememered this topic for a couple days ago, I thought I'd chime in about it

Oh, another interesting demo this guy had there was with a drill press. He had a punch in there or some type of just round metal... not an actual bit but something with a flat end. The metals were "treated" with this stuff. He'd take this and attempt to drill into a piece of metal and it obviously wouldn't. But, as soon as he quit trying to drill, the metal wasn't very hot at all. I find this one very hard to believe because I've done lots of metal drilling and know things get VERY hot with the friction created. I've got to ask the old man some more details about this demo because I can see how it could be rigged much more easily than the engine trick

If my father thinks he sees some differences in his boat and vehicles, I'll do some oil analysis with this stuff and my 96SS. It's getting a new engine anyway so if it is "bad", then so what
Old 02-27-2004, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by BUBBA
No,no,no. I certainly wouldn't dispute the fact that an engine without any load at all couldn't run quite nicely at a low, non-heating revolutions if the bearings and rotating surfaces were made of teflon like materials or coated with some such...

After all, electric motors can run for seriously long times without bearing failure without contiuous oil flow.

But, its just my opinion, that we are talking the old apples and ... scenario.

Probably won't hurt as an additive, but as a replacement or even a safeguard for those who don't monitor their oil supply, I believe it is just a waste of money as well as a false sense of security.

Hell, you can spin a bearing with a full pan of oil. Trust me on that one.
No, no, it wasn't meant to be a demonstration how one doesn't need to run oil any longer. It was just a demonstration of how "well protected" the engine was after being treated with this stuff. He told my dad that after treating the engine that using expensive oils like Mobil 1 (he uses that) would no longer be necessary and to use the cheapest stuff he could find. He'd still need to use oil though

Also, just got off the phone with my dad. He did not see the engine do anything other than idle. I also asked him more about the drill press demo. He said there was a rod with a rounded end in the drill press and the guy was using the drill press to push it into a piece of flat stock metal that was slightly drilled/dented in the area he was attempting to drill. He said it looked like he was applying a good deal of pressure but I do suppose the drill press could have been rigged such that there was an internal stop or something? Either way, my dad did feel the metal right after the metal on metal contact and it wasn't hot. We'll see. The old man is going to give it a shot and see what happens.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:28 PM

Does the "old man" ever wear tinfoil hats?

I'm sure we'll all be interested to hear his answers, Brent.

Dave
Old 02-27-2004, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by LPEdave
Does the "old man" ever wear tinfoil hats?
LOL! Nope, but he has a fairly open mind.

I've personally seen some of this snake oil stuff work wonders so I try to keep somewhat of an open mind before just calling BS on everything right off the bat. Two examples... the first being something called "The Blue Stuff" for aching joints, arthritis, etc. A number of people in my family use this and even re-order it. My aunt had aching joints for a LONG time, tried some of this stuff and no more aching joints. The best example is of my sister. After she broke her arm she got what is called Reflex Sympathetic Syndrome (or something like that) because the $#%^#$ doctor when he put the plate in, screwed it down tight with the main nerve in her wrist area sandwiched between the plate and the bone. Basically, screwed her up for life because there is no cure for this RSD. Well, she had been in constant pain for about 3 years up until about a year ago. The pain was pretty much constant and sometimes so bad she'd just be sitting there and her eyes would start to water. About a year ago she was walking around the flea market with her boyfriend and they saw a stand selling this pain easing spray. She tried them all and none worked so was doubtful of this but since it takes only a minute to walk up to the stand, they did. Her arm was hurting bad that day and the guy told her to put some on but don't buy it. Come back later after the pain goes away and then get it. She just kinda laughed and went on her way. Well, the pain went away. She went back to the stand when they were ready to go and bought some. Her arm has only bothered her a couple times since that day. Her attitude and outlook on life has changed 100%. Being in pain all the time really wore on her morale. Now she feels a lot better and has even quit using the spray and the pain hasn't come back. Pretty strange and might just be a coincidence, but, who knows. Anyway, I digress... point being, while 99.9999% of the time if it sounds too good to be true it probably is but then there are those rare cases where sometimes the stuff works and because of those rare times I try to at least keep a somewhat open mind about some of the snake oils that at least seem reasonable

Also, just a reminder, Royal Purple could be considered "snake oil" by many because of their claims. However, I have some hard data that shows it is better than dino oil. I posted this a long time ago and here is a snippet of what I posted...

I work at a large power plant. We have upgraded the output of the plant and we are now seeing some equipment running a bit warm. In an effort to prevent spending millions of dollars on upgrading our cooling systems, another Operator has been researching the use of synthetic oil in place of our "standard" conventional oil. In this research, he has talked with Engineers at a few other large power plants. The info thus far has been pretty interesting! Keep in mind... this info is not coming from Royal Purple vendors but rather Engineers at plants who have no interest in promoting Royal Purple products to us.

Anyway, one plant has been using Royal Purple products for the past 14 years! This plant first tried Royal Purple (grease) in a single pump they were having trouble with. The bearings in this pump were failing at a rate of one every three months. Royal Purple grease was tried and the bearing temperature dropped 40 degrees F. The motor ran with that set of bearings for the next 10 years. The motor was then inspected and cleaned and the bearings replaced as a preventative measure. The new bearings have been installed for nearly 5 years now with no issues.

At another plant Royal Purple oil was used in a very large pump/motor. New pumps were installed in 1995 using the old motors. Nobody knew that the new pumps had a 28,000 lb starting down thrust and the motors were only rated at a 12,000 lb down thrust. Well, needless to say, the motor ran very hot! To try and keep the motors in service, they switched to Royal Purple. The temperature dropped from 220 degrees to 180 degrees and the motors have been fine.

Those are a couple examples for anyone interested. I thought instead of reading magazine articles about this, some of you might like hearing about real world, no bs, results.

Now, with all that being said, I have no idea how much better (if any) Royal Purple is than any other synthetic. I think it just proves that synthetic oil is in fact much better than conventional oil. It would be interesting to see the results in the same examples above if Mobil 1 were used but that ain't going to happen

I am convinced enough, however, that I'll be running Royal Purple in my new engine when (if ever) I get it built. LOL!

We are still trying to talk our engineers into switching and if they do, I'll post the results we find. I'm sure it'll be not difficult to get them to switch in some of our pumps/motors but to switch the oil in our turbine (our main temperature concern right now) will take around 25,000 gallons. I wonder if I ordered 25,000 gallons of Royal Purple if I could get a group purchase discount? LOL!
Old 02-27-2004, 03:55 PM

Brent: What are you going to replace your 96 engine with?
Old 02-27-2004, 04:03 PM

I remember an infomercial where they had a stationary engine idling without valve covers or oilpan. Of course it's easy to fake something for a commercial.

Quick Reply: CHECK THIS OUT!! Super Oil Additive