LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Chime in - who's had a new stock LT1 timing set fail?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 10:56 PM

Chime in - who's had a new stock LT1 timing set fail?

This is kinda a continuation fo this thread:

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278981

We had been talking about the ED timing sets, WP drive gear failures etc, and I asked the question if anyone had FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE of a NEW stock LT1 timing set failing. I had not one response. Im wondering if we are all spending a lot of money on unreliable parts trying to fix a problem that doesnt exist (sound familiar? - comp R). I mean we all like the thought of a heavy duty timing set, but with so many threads about failures of the ED sets, mismatched gears, having to press on new gears in some cases, etc this seems a reasonable question to ask... I mean I race an LT1 in road racing and belong to a club that does the same (LT1 and LS1) and I've never heard of a stock LT1 set failing ever - wear out with reasonable use - yes, but fail shortly after install - never. So for the same question in a new thread, who has first hand knowledge of a brand new stock LT1 timing gear/chain set failing. Lets hear about it. And only first hand accounts please.

Last edited by SSTAT; 05-16-2007 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:10 PM

Thank you, I often get discourage thinking of how few people these days are capable of intelligent evaluation of information. You seem to be one of the FEW who looks at the edivence and sees the truth rather than the myth the internet wants you to believe.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:13 PM
Banned

I have never had one fail......just took it out for this year

put a hot cam in in 99...just got a new chain, used the stock gears

went to a 306 a year later.....just got a new chain.....used it until a few months ago, several seasons of 7k with no problems
Old 05-17-2007, 06:17 PM

I would like to see if anyone's had one fail. I haven't, but mine was very loose compared to the new Cloyes chain I put in and it was only "supposed" to have about 60k on it.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:36 PM

I don't think I have ever seen a thread regarding the failure of a replacement stock timing set.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:59 PM

I am highly interested in this as well. I am really wanting to know if any of the higher horsepower motors have had any issues that have ran stock chain setups. I know the double rollers should keep the chain more accurately adjusted, with less stretch.

I have never read a thread about chain failure either on any of the forums for 4th gen.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:37 PM

When I installed my hotcam I used a ED set but the chain broke after like 6-7k miles. Replaced it with a stock piece and drove the hell out of the car for about 40k before blowing the torque converter, which took out the transmission and crankshaft, on too big a shot of nitrous.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:35 PM

I think there is probably a very small % of people who just replaced the stock chain with another stock chain. The price difference to go up to a ED is minimal and a stock chain will last quite a long time.
If anyone had their original chain go they probably replaced it with a beefier one. If they did a CAM they either left their chain or went beefy as well

Anyone who replaced their stock chain with a stock chain probably had a mechanic do it and their car is probably all stock... and theyre likely not active on this site

I had my motor fully rebuilt to stock a while back and have had no problems (15-20k mi (ish) ago) no problems. Still wish I had the cash to do the engine right back then

Last edited by TobyZ28; 05-17-2007 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by toby360
I think there is probably a very small % of people who just replaced the stock chain with another stock chain. The price difference to go up to a ED is minimal and a stock chain will last quite a long time.
If anyone had their original chain go they probably replaced it with a beefier one. If they did a CAM they either left their chain or went beefy as well

Anyone who replaced their stock chain with a stock chain probably had a mechanic do it and their car is probably all stock... and theyre likely not active on this site

I had my motor fully rebuilt to stock a while back and have had no problems (15-20k mi (ish) ago) no problems. Still wish I had the cash to do the engine right back then

Your comments are EXACTLY the reason this guy posted this, you all assume the stock set is weak without any reason to believe that.

I have swapped several cams and replaced stock chains with stock chains and even reused chains a time or two. I wouldn't recommend the later but have done it without incident.
Not first hand but I have heard of more ED failures than stock.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:52 PM

After reading that thread about the ED timing set, I am going to feel alot better just putting a stock lt1 set back in when I do my cam swap. Hell if I haven't had any problems out of it for 69k miles, I doubt i'll have trouble in another 100k. Besides, who is to say the rest of the engine is going to hold up to my punishment!
Old 05-17-2007, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by toby360

I replaced my stock chain with another stock chain during my cam swap.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:34 AM

Stock replacement gears and chain here too. Never heard of a flailure, not that it can't happen. But I'll bet if it does, it probably had a zillon miles on it.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:18 AM

When I rebuilt my motor, I just went with a stock replacement timing set. Been fine for 5 years and 7k miles.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:39 AM

When I swapped to the 847 I put my stocker back on as the ED I ordered didn't show up and I had to drive to work. When I took it off it was working fine at 7k RPM and 100k miles. I swapped to an electric WP and installed a rollmaster(overrated POS)
Old 05-18-2007, 10:43 AM

Are you guys talking about gm timing sets or aftermarket?

Quick Reply: Chime in - who's had a new stock LT1 timing set fail?