LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Christmas/early Graduation gift ($3500 to spend, help me want LE setup)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 08:00 PM

Christmas/early Graduation gift ($3500 to spend, help me want LE setup)

Mom just walked in my room and said that i could have the $3,500 i was going to get for graduation now. You see i bought and paid for all 4 of my cars without help from my parents, so i talked with my mom and we agreed that $3,500 was a fair price for an average teenagers car and that if i did graduate that traditionally she should buy me a car. So since i already have a car, it was a agreed i could use this money to 'spiff up' the car i rebuilt from the wreckage of a once glorious Firebird Formula. Long story short she feels that my getting the stuff now gives me time to put it in and play with it while i am still in highschool.

My questions here mainly are where can i get the parts i want, and what else do you think i shoudl get?

Engine:
Stage 1 Lloyd Elliot Heads/cam setup - $1,100 is what i heard, but where can i get it?
Valvtrain - what will i need asside from this? What rockers, will i need new valve covers, new pushrods?
Serpentine belts - $40
Injectors - 32lb injetors - $175 are they enough? The previous owner said he put in a Holley 255LPH pump so i figure thats enough. Supposed he didnt, what will happen? Every other mod he said was on the car i checked and verified was infact there.

Exhaust:

Pacesetter LT's - $280
directly attach to 3" highflow cats - $90
Directly attached to 3" bullet mufflers - $70
Then down the side and dumped on the rear wheels with 3" pipe - estimating $200 for custom shop work

Miscellaneous:
315's for my ZR1's - $340
gaskets - don't know what i should get
Opti - should i replace while i am at it?
Water pump - should i replace while i am at it?
Anything else i should replace?
Tune - Not sure how much a tune would be for this setup

Now this leaves about $1300 left to do whatever with. I figure a 3200 stall or something would be good too. I just really don't know what all is involved and what would be best for me. I plan on doing the work myself. I believe i am fully capable of it (i finaly got around to bending, shimming, and adjusting the whole front end so everything lines up contrary to the pictures) I have never done this much indepth work on an engine before so i am not sure what all is invovled. What i am mainly worried about is this, getting the pushrods in and adjsuting the rockers correctly. Even bigger, how will i know if i have the new cam lined up correctly with the crank?

Also this car only has 65,000 miles on it. I just put in a new fuel filter,transmission filter, flushed the radiator... twice so clean it glows now, had both outer tie rods replaced and aligned, rear end oil is good, and engine oil is very very clean and burns absolutely no 5w 30 synthetic oil.

Thanks so much guys. I'm so excited , i cant wait

Last edited by ShawnMacAnanny; 10-14-2004 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:29 PM
Banned

Re: Christmas/early Graduation gift ($3500 to spend, help me want LE setup)

Originally Posted by ShawnMacAnanny
I have never done this much indepth work on an engine before so i am not sure what all is invovled. What i am mainly worried about is this, getting the pushrods in and adjsuting the rockers correctly. Even bigger, how will i know if i have the new cam lined up correctly with the crank?
There are a ton of threads about the pushrods and rockers and what to set them at.

You need to look up more about degreeing in a cam, like what Comp and Crane have on their web site.

nighttrain66@msn.com is Lloyd Elliots e-mail, you might want to ask him about a LE 1.5 package as a good way to get a little more bang for your buck.

Bret
Old 10-14-2004, 08:40 PM

Now this leaves about $1300 left to do whatever with
As per my standard..... gentelmens club and check the air in all your tires including the spare. Fact is if you drag a hoochie home have her check the tires and take pictures
Old 10-14-2004, 08:58 PM

Oh yeah seeing as you are still in highschool you may need to bribe the doorman $100 so that leaves you $1200 for a hell of a time Oh yeah don't forget pictures so actually $1187 $13 for a digital disposable camera
Old 10-14-2004, 09:00 PM

I forgot the mention the main this is i need to pass emmissions. I don't know much about rockers and pushrods. I read turn till they are tight, then another 1/4 turn. I was wondering if i shoudl use 1.5 or 1.6 or 1.7 rockers. I dont know how they affect emmissions.

Will the 1.5 setup will it pass emissions? I guess i could email lloyd elliot and ask him. I heard the biggest cam that will pass emissions is the 224/230 and the LE cam is slightly bigger. With the two 3" high flow cats though that should help my car run a little cleaner right?

Thanks for the replies,
Shawn