LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Cleaning EGR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 12:25 PM

Cleaning EGR?

I've got an SES for the EGR valve on my car. Since I plan on getting headers some day and will be removing it then I don't want to buy a new one or get it tuned out until then. I had the scan done at Autozone, and they told me that I could clean the EGR out with carb or throttle cleaner and that might clear the code. Would this work? Does anyone else know of a way to clean a possibly stopped up EGR? If so, will this turn off the SES (I'm getting REALLY tired of looking at it)?
Old 03-30-2004, 12:45 PM

Did you test it? Motor running, press in the bladder of the EGR it should kill the car.
I removed mine and cleaned it out air/ cleaner. Worked fine after that.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:12 PM

No I haven't tested it, didn't know you could. I just had the code scanned at autozone and it said the EGR was bad. Guess I'll trying pressing on it when I get home. Then I'll probably take it off and clean it out. I just got tired of seeing the SES light. Does anyone know if a bad EGR can hurt gas mileage (I don't care too much, but it would be a nice bonus)?
Old 03-30-2004, 03:28 PM

of course it;s bad. now autozone can sell you another one

Never ever listen to them. get the codes they pull and RUN FOR YOUR LIFE. They are there to sell you parts, they take what ever system or sensor the code pertains to and says. ok, you nee dto buy this. Thats not how diagnostics work.

you probably have a P0401 EGR flow code showing. This is very very common when aftermarket exhaust is used due to less amounts of backpressure needed for the EGR system to work correctly. This is why a lot of people delete the EGR.

Sure the valve good be bad, could aslo have carbon biuld up on the Intake passagways ect ect. you can clean both the valve and the passageway if you like.

Witch code was it throwing and are there anyother codes as well?

also as said you can manualy pull the diaphram or use a cac pump to lift it and the engine should stumble or stall. This is telling you that the EGR works. weather or not it;s getting the signal to open or is flowing correctly is a different story
Old 03-30-2004, 03:45 PM

Didn't copy the exact code or anything, but they did say it was something pertaining to the EGR flow. I really didn't plan on buying one from them anyways, so at least they tried. I've never trusted autozone, so I just use them for their free scans . I'll try messing around with it when I get home, and possibly cleaning it. I'd get it deleted now, but I plan on doing things in the future that would require a new tune so I figure I won't waste the money now when I'm just gettting it removed later.