LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Cleaning the IAC

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 04:37 PM

Cleaning the IAC

Can I take out and clean the IAC pintel without needing any gaskets or special replacement parts? (Can it just unbolt -> be cleaned -> rebolt) ?
Old 07-31-2003, 04:51 PM

Oh comon, someone has got to know something so simple...
Old 07-31-2003, 05:28 PM

Did you search? This is talked about all the time. Simple as remove, clean, reinstall. Solvent and a toothbrush. Don't push or pull on the pintle. There is just an o-ring on it. Of course you will have to remove the tb to get the IAC out. You might need a gasket for the tb, if you rip it.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:31 PM

I've definatly done lots of searches and from the pictures it looks like the IAC can just be unscrewed.. yet everywhere I read, people have mentioned gasket kits and such. So I have to take off the whole TB just to get at the IAC valve? The picture on your site looks like this and only has two screws in it... so can someone clarify why i need to take apart the whole TB to get at this guy? I must be stupid or something
Old 07-31-2003, 06:13 PM

The problem is that there is no room to remove the valve without removing the TB. If you are going to remove the plate on the bottom of the TB (like in that pic), you will need the gasket for that, too.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by shoebox
The problem is that there is no room to remove the valve without removing the TB. If you are going to remove the plate on the bottom of the TB (like in that pic), you will need the gasket for that, too.
AH ok, now it makes much more sense You should throw a few "global engine compartment" pictures from different angles and/or a highres picture of the whole thing.... I kno u get this all the time but great site
Old 07-31-2003, 08:41 PM

I cleaned the AIC not too long ago. Just went to my local chevy dealership and got the gasket for the throttle body for like $6.40. I removed the throttle body, which took 10 mins max, and then screwed out the AIC, brushed it off with an old toothbrush and used some seafoam. All the carbon came right off..also cleaned out the throttle body which had alot of carbon built up. car has ran smooth and cooler ever since.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:57 AM

I'm about to do this tomorrow, I have a single gasket for the TB and want to clean the IAC needle. how should I clean that guy? Is TB cleaner ok? or should I use something else... do i need to put anything on it when i put it back together? should be really simple right ?
Old 08-28-2003, 02:03 AM

I cleaned out mine this past weekend. I could not believe all the carbon on the thing / in the thing. Took me about an hour to get nice and pretty. I also could not believe the difference it had made too, throttle response was just incredible. Wish I knew years ago about this.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:05 AM

Originally posted by Van5150
I cleaned out mine this past weekend. I could not believe all the carbon on the thing / in the thing. Took me about an hour to get nice and pretty. I also could not believe the difference it had made too, throttle response was just incredible. Wish I knew years ago about this.
-Howd you clean it Van? (the IAC)
Old 08-28-2003, 02:19 AM

I had read somewhere that the IAC was sensative and not to take it apart from the spring. Remove it from the Throttle Body with a torx screwdriver thingy I think like 7 baby screws. Once you have in hand there are 2 more side screws that hold it in. Once you get that off clean away, I used a sponge with scruffy side and some Carb Cleaner. I wish I had thought of tooth brush, but I am not that smart. You want to do the throttle body too, once you remove from the block you'll see the inside all carbonated.
If anyone has had not done this to their car yet, I would recommend doing it if they want to feel a difference. I know my MPG is going up, still on my 1st tank since cleaning and I should have been empty today.

Last edited by Van5150; 08-28-2003 at 02:21 AM.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by Van5150
I had read somewhere that the IAC was sensative and not to take it apart from the spring. Remove it from the Throttle Body with a torx screwdriver thingy I think like 7 baby screws. Once you have in hand there are 2 more side screws that hold it in. Once you get that off clean away, I used a sponge with scruffy side and some Carb Cleaner. I wish I had thought of tooth brush, but I am not that smart. You want to do the throttle body too, once you remove from the block you'll see the inside all carbonated.
If anyone has had not done this to their car yet, I would recommend doing it if they want to feel a difference. I know my MPG is going up, still on my 1st tank since cleaning and I should have been empty today.
Awsome info I'll see if i can do this sometime today and let everyone know how my results go. Who knows, maybe my low rpm stumbles IAC related. After this, its time to clean my EGR and play with a scanner this weekend to see if my maf/map/o2's are bad
Old 08-28-2003, 03:18 AM

I used TB cleaner (sea foam deep creep) and a toothbrush. For more stubborn carbon deposits used a sharp screw or needle to scratch it all off.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:25 PM

Cleaned my IAC and TB today! Mine wasn't "too" dirty but the the IAC needle definatly had a bunch of carbon building up on it. TOok a while to get it all nice and clean again too. I also did the !tb coolant bypass while i was there. I did notice a noticeable change in the smoothness of the car, i managed to squeeze in a short drive today. I have yet to see if it has cured my low rpm stumble, it did kinda do the stumble again but was barely noticable, it happens more on the highway too which i didnt have a chance to get on to.

One final Question bout the IAC. When i was cleaning i noticed the pintle part wiggles a "tiny" bit if i touch it with my fingers... is this normal? Or is a brand new pintle 100% solid... with zero play/wiggle in it?
Old 09-14-2003, 07:11 PM

I took mine apart and cleaned it as described above. After I put it back together. Now when I crank my car it idles up to about 2k then down to about 1200 rpms. I replaced my Iac and put new gaskets on eveything. I am still having this problem.

Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Cleaning the IAC