LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

clouds of metal shavings coming from my exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 07:22 PM

clouds of metal shavings coming from my exhaust?

96 Formula, Edelbrock TES Headers, aftermarket cats, Magnaflow cat-back, K&N FIPK. I just got my Walbro put in today. After pressurizing the system and detecting no leaks, I fired it up. Allowed it to warm up for about 30 seconds and punched the gas to see if the prior problem was solved. It was, but there was smoke coming from my exhaust. I didn't even pay attention to it at first...figured it may be running a little rich or something. Well, I took the car down the road. Got the check gauges light, (threw the serpentine belt), so I turned around and went home. Started reving the engine and saw smoke coming out the back...fairly large clouds of smoke. Well, I revved it til there was a good bit back there and tried to run back and see what it smelled like. Well, I discovered it wasn't smoke at all...it was metal shavings and a "lint" looking stuff...it kinda looked like paper towel?

There were chunks of stuff everywhere and glitter covering the ground for 20 feet behind the car. And it hasn't slacked off or anything. I could fire it up right now and it would still blow metal shavings and something else.

At first, I thought, mice or rats built a nest in it. Well, still maybe...then I thought maybe the cats are breaking down?

The car has been running lean for quite some time...since I got it for sure, and hard to tell how long before that. I've put 3,000 miles on it...the pump was still working but only around 21 PSI.

The other night I was on my way home and the power steering went out. I was about 4-5 miles from home, so I figured I'd just run the ***** off of it and try to get there before the battery died. I figured it was the serpentine belt, but it wasn't. The pump just wasn't pumping.

Today when I took the car for the test drive and threw the belt, I saw that the p/s pulley and shaft had come out of the front of the pump. I can grab the pulley and pull it out like 4 inches and push it back in to where it normally rides. Anyway...

Could I have messed something up the other night by running the CRAP out of it? I don't think there's anything I could have done while installing the pump to make it do this. hmmmm...i'm stumped.

Other than the shavings, the car runs great. It had a lot more power than before and actually impressed me. I dunno though.

Any help would be great

Thanks,

Paul

Last edited by EuroticCustoms; 08-14-2006 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:40 PM

Re: clouds of metal shavings coming from my exhaust?

sounds like it could be the cats.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:44 PM

2nd vote for the cats. As far as the power steering goes, two bolts hold the pump on. They may have come loose. I had a power steering bolt pull out of the bracket stripping the bracket and of course it threw the belt.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by yotaman96
2nd vote for the cats. As far as the power steering goes, two bolts hold the pump on. They may have come loose. I had a power steering bolt pull out of the bracket stripping the bracket and of course it threw the belt.
well, it wasn't the bolts that came out...the pulley and shaft pulled out of the pump. I think I might have another pump laying around, but not sure.

as far as the cats go, hopefully they won't clog. I'm thinking this could be for the better and not the worse.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by EuroticCustoms
well, it wasn't the bolts that came out...the pulley and shaft pulled out of the pump. I think I might have another pump laying around, but not sure.

as far as the cats go, hopefully they won't clog. I'm thinking this could be for the better and not the worse.

If it is the cats, they will hurt your perfomance. A cat that has fallen apart is not the same as no cat at all. Either replace them or get rid of them. (depending on emissions) If they do clog, it could cause more damage. Don't wait too long.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:23 PM

I just want to get rid of this car. I bought it off of eBay for $3500 under the impression that it was a flawless vehicle that had been very well maintained. I've replaced so many things and fixed so many problems...have way more in it than I can get back out of it. The cats can be the next owner's problem.

I recently bought a stock 94Z with a 6 speed and t-tops and haven't even had a chance to sink any money into it yet lol

Last edited by EuroticCustoms; 08-14-2006 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:38 AM

The metal shavings could be the cats, but I don't think the cats would be blowing out stuff that looked like lint or a paper towel.. That sounds like glass packing inside the muffler.. Don't know how Magnaflow mufflers are designed or even if they have packing inside though.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by 94Z28WP
The metal shavings could be the cats, but I don't think the cats would be blowing out stuff that looked like lint or a paper towel.. That sounds like glass packing inside the muffler.. Don't know how Magnaflow mufflers are designed or even if they have packing inside though.
It does look like fiberglass, actually. A good bit of fiberglass. I wonder what would cause the exhaust system to start breaking down all of the sudden? Running the ***** off of it, maybe.

Hmmm...thanks for the suggestion 97.

I found my spare p/s pump. Gonna go ahead and put that on along with a new belt, new tranny fluid/filter, and new rear oil.

Guess I can only run it a while and see what's going to happen.

-EDIT- ahhhh...how's this theory? Cats break down and guts start flying at high-velocity...high-velocity guts tear at glass and cause it to fly out the exhaust. I had my ol lady's brother put his hand behind the exhaust when I was revving it and he said the shavings stung his hand. Just a thought

Last edited by EuroticCustoms; 08-15-2006 at 04:21 AM.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:51 AM

Maybe you could look at some of the stuff with good magnifying glass, and get a better ID on what it is.