LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Are Coated Headers Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 09:45 PM

Are Coated Headers Worth it?

Is the cost of coated headers worth the money?

I mean a little less heat in the engine bay, fan switch fix this? cant be worse then stock manifolds heat right?

do I get more HP? how much more?

I used to think that coated was way better and definatly worth it, but I was asked about why its better, and well besides a bit less heat under the hood I couldnt think of anything.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:48 PM

The headers will last longer because they won't rust. They will stay looking pretty for a long time.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:49 PM

its very comforting each time you pop the hood and see those clean and new looking headers staring back at you. i once had uncoated shorties and i will never go back to uncoated headers or shorty headers for that matter either. the coated headers do run much cooler also. good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by FastWhiteTA
The headers will last longer because they won't rust. They will stay looking pretty for a long time.
well what if I just keep them painted?

and looks arent worth 200 CDN more to me.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:58 PM

get the headers coated,whats 200 dollars? your headers will last a long time plus coating keeps temperature down plus they look awesome
Old 03-04-2004, 10:00 PM

Re: Are Coated Headers Worth it?

Originally posted by Xride
Is the cost of coated headers worth the money?

I mean a little less heat in the engine bay, fan switch fix this? cant be worse then stock manifolds heat right?

do I get more HP? how much more?
It is definitely worth the extra money. First of all, uncoated headers will give off a LOT more heat than the stock manifolds. The stock manifolds are extremely thick cast iron, with heat shields. All that material insulates the exhaust gas pretty well. Headers are made out of a thin (usually 16g) steel tubing. That will give off tons more heat that those cast iron manifolds.

I would imagine that you would get more hp, due to the fact that the ceramic coating will increase exhaust scavenging. That is because the ceramic coating keeps the gases hotter as they travel through the primaries.

My reasoning on headers went like this: I was already paying $410 for headers. Why not throw down an extra $230 and get the best product possible? But hey, just my .02
Old 03-04-2004, 10:07 PM

You can get Jet hot LT headers brand new for $500 or so from MASCperformance.com, or get some used headers off here or ebay for even cheaper. Don't worry about getting the Y pipe coated, that's a waste of money in my opinion. I'm very happy w/ the service from MASC.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:21 PM

I got mine from MASC. And I get the car back from the shop tomorrow. The design on the jethots are real great. Good coating to. Worth the money in my book.

On a side note. MASC is awsome. Got me the best price on the headers I could find. And they were real helpfull. Had great customer service.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:38 PM

Well I cant get jet hots, sure they might only be x dollars, but getting them over the boarder would cost 100 bucks on its own.

I bought hookers, and can get them coated for 200 CDN, that makes total cost for coated in CDN dollars to 700, thats with O2 bungs.

Buying jets hots would be over a grand.

Just making sure that the 200 will be well spent.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by Xride
Well I cant get jet hots, sure they might only be x dollars, but getting them over the boarder would cost 100 bucks on its own.

I bought hookers, and can get them coated for 200 CDN, that makes total cost for coated in CDN dollars to 700, thats with O2 bungs.

Buying jets hots would be over a grand.

Just making sure that the 200 will be well spent.
Uhmm well just FYI, I bought the jethot lts coated, and in total with all the shipping and customs charges I was around $730 CND. Thats with the emissions fittings on them too. I would definatley get them over the hookers. The metal is thicker (16g) vs hooker (18g). But its your choice
Old 03-05-2004, 09:33 AM

Yes, the coating is worth it. You'll regret it if you do not get them coated.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:40 AM

The reason the hookers are the thinner gauge is because they are saving weight, most of your supercomps are 18 gauge metal, the comps are 16 gauge (but I dont think they make an LT1 comp)

Coatings really do help with the underhood temperature, but dont expect the things to never never rust. depending upon where you live they will last longer or not as long, for instance here in Oklahoma the dust and dirt have a high iron content, when you drive down the road after a rain the dirt and junk get up on your headers and unless you clean then soon they will tarnish , then rust.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:07 AM

do yourself a favor and get them coated!

Last edited by 1BadBrd; 03-05-2004 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by hsyr
The metal is thicker (16g) vs hooker (18g). But its your choice
The flange is also 3/8" instead of 5/16"
Old 03-05-2004, 11:43 AM

I dont agree with that, I have both in my garage right now and the flanges are the same.

Quick Reply: Are Coated Headers Worth it?