LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Code 16, Slow start, and low end surge

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 10:02 PM

Code 16, Slow start, and low end surge

Heres the deal guys, Im gettin code 16 even if i clear it (with a scanner) The car has a low end buck to it but is fine when matted. Im guessing my starter is the slow start but whats weird that it speeds up after a few turns then spins like normal. I am quite the puter off type guy and i have a leakin wpd seal and i kno that will ruin the opti. OK so what do i need to check? If i clean the opti and fix the seal will that take care of the low resolution? Is the injectors leaking possibly flooding the cylinders or would it even be worth my time pulling the rail? Any comments any ppl had the same and found the cure?
Old 07-07-2004, 10:06 PM

Code 16 is low voltage..... Check your charging system and battery...
Old 07-07-2004, 10:17 PM

You are losing the low resolution signal from the opti. Either the opti or the harness could be suspect. Check your harness, first. You could try to clean the opti, but probably a waste of time if it is the culprit.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:30 PM

Well i got to fix the leaks any way and try to find the surge is it hard to take the opti apart? Could the oil be getting into the wire ends? arching some where? I dont under stand why it runs great wot.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by my94blackz
Well i got to fix the leaks any way and try to find the surge is it hard to take the opti apart? Could the oil be getting into the wire ends? arching some where? I dont under stand why it runs great wot.
You have to remove the water pump to get to the opti. IMO, it is just not cost/effort effective to mess with trying to band-aid an opti (especially a non-vented one like you have). Just ask all the people who have tried it and ended up replacing it right away or a short time later. They ended up spending more money than they had to.

I'm telling ya', heck that harness, first.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by n2ceptor
Code 16 is low voltage..... Check your charging system and battery...
DTC 16 = Distributor ignition system (low resolution pulse).

Get a new code list, or just use Shoebox's like everyone else .

DTC 16 indicates a problem with the Opti's optical sensor, or possibly a corroded harness connector for the Opti. If DTC 16 is "active", the engine will not start. The PCM shuts down the fuel pump and injectors, because it needs the low res pulse from the Opti to time the injectors to the correct cylinders.

Slow starting can also be related to pressure leakdown in the fuel system due to a faulty check valve in the fuel pump, a broken diaphragm in the pressure regulator, or leaking injectors.

Last edited by Injuneer; 07-07-2004 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:42 AM

Ive seen a few ppl take apart there opti what specials tools are needed? Isnt it like a female starbit? I got nothin but time to play with this thing so why i fix the leak im gonna do the opti even if its jus for expeirence sake. whats tool do i need?
Old 07-08-2004, 07:32 PM

Well i checked the injectors and they all seem fine no drips. How do i check the wiring of the opti? See if im gettin code 16 and the car is still running and im erasing it with the scanner whats up with that? Is there another way to erase it? thanks guys
Old 07-08-2004, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by Injuneer
DTC 16 = Distributor ignition system (low resolution pulse).

Get a new code list, or just use Shoebox's like everyone else .

DTC 16 indicates a problem with the Opti's optical sensor, or possibly a corroded harness connector for the Opti. If DTC 16 is "active", the engine will not start. The PCM shuts down the fuel pump and injectors, because it needs the low res pulse from the Opti to time the injectors to the correct cylinders.

Slow starting can also be related to pressure leakdown in the fuel system due to a faulty check valve in the fuel pump, a broken diaphragm in the pressure regulator, or leaking injectors.
Thanks...
Old 07-09-2004, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by my94blackz
Well i checked the injectors and they all seem fine no drips. How do i check the wiring of the opti? See if im gettin code 16 and the car is still running and im erasing it with the scanner whats up with that? Is there another way to erase it? thanks guys
Taking the Opti cap off requirs a E4 external Torx bit. If you can't find one, use one of the throttle body cover bolts (T15) as a "socket".

There are two harness connectors for the Opti.... the gray one attached to the bracket on the passenger side of the intake manifold (supports the EEC purge solenoid), and the main Opti body connector at about the 10-o'clock position on the Opti. The gray one seldom is a problem. The main body connector corrodes. Take the connectors apart and clean the pins.

No sure I understand your question about scanning and clearing the DTC codes. To clear them, all you need to do is pull the "PCM BAT" fuse for 30-seconds. (all years except 95, that fuse is in the panel at the end of the dash. 985 is in the box under the hood.)