LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Code 32 problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 03:19 PM

Code 32 problem

Well driving my 1995 Formula I noticed the service engine light come on, when I scanned it I got a code 32 EGR Failure. The light doesnt stay on but does come on intermittently, will this affect my ability to pass emissions. Also is their any way to fix this or do I just replace the EGR at the back of the intake??

THANX
Old 08-26-2004, 09:02 PM

Re: Code 32 problem

I have the same problem, Ingineer says it's the Electronic Vacume Regulator Valve (EVRV) which controls the EGR valve. It connects between the small vacume line on the drivers side of the intake and the EGR valve. I just ordered one from Sam Taylor ($15) because mine would pull a code and the service light when cruising steady at ~75mph. Just about the only time it ever does it. We'll see if that fixes it, although it doesn't run any different when it's tripped.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by 93Z4ME
I have the same problem, Ingineer says it's the Electronic Vacume Regulator Valve (EVRV) which controls the EGR valve. It connects between the small vacume line on the drivers side of the intake and the EGR valve. I just ordered one from Sam Taylor ($15) because mine would pull a code and the service light when cruising steady at ~75mph. Just about the only time it ever does it. We'll see if that fixes it, although it doesn't run any different when it's tripped.

It only does it after cruisin on the highway at 75 because thats the only time the EGR activates... And if emissions isnt a problem where you are (it isnt with me) mine did the same thing and i just got rid of it.

Chris
Old 08-26-2004, 10:08 PM

I had the same code on my Z few years back, replacing EGR valve fixed my problem.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lt1t56
I had the same code on my Z few years back, replacing EGR valve fixed my problem.
The valve is the most likely culprit. DTC 32 is the EGR diagnostic test. The PCM monitors the manifold pressure when it commands the EGR system on. If there isn't enough change in pressure, it assumes there is no EGR flow.

DTC 27 is for the solenoid, not DTC 32.

With the engine idling you can reach behind the manifold and open the valve by hand. If this has little to no effect on the idle, you probably need a new valve. If this does have an effect I would look for a bad vacuum line between the intake manifold, EGR solenoid, and EGR valve. If the valve is hard to depress than it may be stuck in which case you may be able to loosen it up but a new valve is recommended.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:33 PM

I have a Code 32 right now and I ordered an EGR valve. I'm putting it in this weekend, so I sure as hell hope that the valve is what needs to be replaced! lol
Old 08-27-2004, 02:20 PM
Administrator

I have the same problem, Ingineer says it's the Electronic Vacume Regulator Valve (EVRV) which controls the EGR valve. ........
I don't think I said that.

As Buttercup points out, DTC 32 is for "system performance" as determined by the MAP test on activation command. In the 94+ cars DTC 27 is for the solenoid circuit. But I can only assume that DTC 27 = Quad Driver Module in the 93's means that the QDM is driving the EGR solenoid, but I've never seen anyone confirm that.

Anything that prevents flow of exhaust gas could be the problem, including inadequate exhaust system back pressure, a faulty EGR valve, a plugged up passage or dirty valve, a plugged or loose vacuum line. But the solenoid would show up as a different code.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:54 PM

It's actually called the EGR Vacuum Regulator Valve Solenoid.

The EGR doesn't only come on at that speed, it's triggered when certain rpms and MAP values are satisfied. It just takes a certain amount of time to set the code if it is misbehaving and that usually happens when you are at cruise or stay at the same throttle position/engine load long enough.

Last edited by shoebox; 08-27-2004 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:46 PM

I've been having the same problem aswell. Does anyone know the GM part number for the electronic regulator vacuum valve solenoid?