LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Code 36?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 03:19 PM

Code 36?

Incase some of you didn't see my previous post, Sunday my car started backfiring when it was first started and idleing, I was also getting a hell of a lot of knock. Well I put some premium in it and some octane booster and the problem seemed to be solved. I was just driving home from running errands and got an SES light and a code 36 on my Scanmaster. I still had to stop at the bank, so I did. When I came out to start the car it was fine and I drove home about 4 miles with no SES light after I had restarted the car. I just looked up the code and it says the code 36 is for an "OptiSpark high resolution signal faulty." What exactly does that translate into for us that aren't technicians? I was just getting ready to make an hour trip, should I not drive my car? I don't really feel like paying a towing bill if it could be prevented. If I can drive it, is it ok for it to sit for a couple of days? I won't be back until Friday. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks In Advance!

Last edited by Rich_z28; 03-26-2003 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:25 PM

Gawd.. I'm not sure of the exact resolution or if there is a cheaper way, but do you remember in your other post how ppl were thinking your opti might be bad? This could be a possibility now!
Old 03-26-2003, 03:25 PM

I get that code occasionally as well...

Its just as you say, for the High Resolution Optical portion (?) of the Opti...

I DO NOT feel that safe knowing that my car produces taht code... I've gone on semi-long trips (read: 2-3 hours, around town, slightly out of the city) but I dread going on full day journeys... And just for this reason, I do not attend local car cruises as I fear it may die...

The car can run with just the 36 code popping up, I just think it won't sync 100% so its losing some on the top end of the RPM scale... But it shows that there is something wrong with the opti, either the connector or the opti itself... 16 is the code you don't want Which is the low res. code... Your car will not run with this code active as the PCM will not allow fuel to flow to the injectors...

I've been having the occasional code 36 (3-4 times) for the past 7-8 months (but I only drive the car 4-5 times a month)... I'm getting ready to swap out my optispark for a new one in the newxt few months as well... I figure its time, 130,000 km's and 8 years of driving

jeff
Old 03-26-2003, 03:29 PM

yea, i kinda figured the opti maybe going bad. I did just run it up to 115 mph though and got the code shortly after. I'll just buy a new opti and feel alot safer. I hate thinking about the labor though!
Old 03-26-2003, 03:55 PM

Does anybody have Jason Cromers direct number? Also what does he charge for a new Opti? Thanks. BTW, it's a 95 vented opti.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:29 AM

Can anybody elaborate on what the code means?
Old 03-27-2003, 02:42 PM

Just do a search for Code 36 or high-res opti failure, and pay attention to posts by Injuneer.... I'm sure i've read some highly technical replies from him on the very subject...

Jeff

I just seached myself and came up with this reply from the great Injuneer
-------
DTC 36 is loss of high res pulse from the Opti, plain and simple. It is not caused by anything else. The PCM is looking for 360 pulses per two crank revolutions, and isn't seeing the right signal.

You don't mention any problems other than the code.... is it running OK.... no stumbles or misses? The engine will appear to run fine even whe you get DTC 36. The PCM defaults to estimating the crank/cam position from the low resolution pulse (8 per 2 crank revs) and you lose a little bit of accuracy on the timing. But the loss is minor. Not sure if the PCM takes any other precautions with DTC 36, like pulling a little timing for safety.

Check the harness connector on the Opti for a bent or corroded pin. Also look at the intermediate Opti harness connector for damage/corrosion - the gray connector on the bracket in the middle of the passenger side of the intake manifold. That one seldom has a problem though.
-------
If you want any further info, just do a search, you'd be amazed how many times its been discussed... But you'll find alot is fairly basic and you'll have to dig through a ton of the same questiosn and answers to get to the good technical stuff...

Jeff
Old 03-27-2003, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Jeff:

Thanks for saving me the typing to repeat that response..... .
Old 03-27-2003, 05:15 PM

hehe, np man
Old 03-28-2003, 03:03 PM

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate all the help so far. I'm going to do a search and see if I can find a little more info. on the code. I've got a new opti on the way from Jason Cromer. Maybe I won't need it!

BTW, I decided to take the trip I was talking about above. I drove approximately 160 miles round trip. I received no SES light and had no problems the car doesn't stumble or cut out. But yesterday I did start it up to run an errand and it turned over hard again and backfired a couple of times.....just like I had stated in the previous post. Then I started it today to head home and it fired right up with no misses. Doesn't it seem that if it were the opti, that with my symptoms at start up I should be showing a code 16 for the low resoulution?

Last edited by Rich_z28; 03-28-2003 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:25 PM

High and Low Res are 2 different things, much like my car, I get the occasional High Res failure, but it doesn't really affect the car much at all...

It'll start, and die right away after it idles rather high (close to 2,000 rpm - I have a 6 spd)... Then it'll start right after, once I cross my fingers and do a little prayer, hehe

So what ever the high res section of the opti, maybe the 'top' peice has gotten some water on it and its corroding a bit, but the other section is fine... I'm not sure, just guessing really

I have little doubt that you'll dig up a TON of info in your searchs tho, opti's have to be one of the most common problems with these cars and it gets covered in detail rather often...

Good luck tho, and keep us updated!

Jeff
Old 03-29-2003, 12:45 AM

Will do Jeff. I appreciate all of your help. I did search a bit more on code 36, but didn't find any explinations better than the one you posted by Injuneer. I'm still lookin though, so I'll keep you updated.