LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Code 36, cranks and trys hard.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 06:02 PM

Code 36, cranks and trys hard.

Service light is on, got it tested and it said something about pulse...

Heres what happens.... I turn the key, engine will crank over and over for 7 seconds before it starts. Once its up and running its runs fine, no stall or stutters. I turn it off, go to turn it back on and it does the same thing, it ill crank over and over for 7 seconds before it starts. hmphh..

It ran perfect all last summer, just took it out of storage and its doing this... I put in a new battery for the hell of it, didn't work. so i have no clue
Old 03-19-2010, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Once it starts, after 7 seconds of cranking, does it run OK, and continue to run - not clear from your description??

DTC 36 means the PCM can not find the high resolution pulse from the optical cam position sensor in the Opti. But that code is usually not enough to cause the engine not to start. But it may extend the starting period. When DTC 36 sets, the PCM defaults to using the low resolution pulse for the ignition and injector timing. It may take a few cranking revs to determine that the high res pulse is missing, and that it has to default to the low res signal.

There is also a DTC 16, for the loss of the low res pulse, and when that sets, the engine will not run, because the PCM shuts down the fuel system.

Check the short Opti harness connector, both ends, for corrosion, broken retainer clips, or damaged pins.

Last edited by Injuneer; 03-21-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:40 PM

ill take a look, i bet its the opti because now when it starts is misfires...

and yes it will start but it has to crank like crazy over and over
Old 03-20-2010, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by omgwtfdied
I'll take a look, I bet its the Opti because now when it starts it misfires...

And yes, it will start but it has to crank like crazy over and over
With DTC code 36 active:

Week 1: Hard starting, but it will eventually start and run okay.

Week 2: Hard starting, but will eventually start and run with a misfire.

Week 3: Hard starting, but will evenyually start, run with a misfire, and after anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes of run time .... will stall and not re-start for 20 - 30 minutes.

Been there and done that ..... it's the Optispark's optical position sensor going bad.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:27 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Once it starts, after 7 seconds of cranking, does it run OK, and continue to run - not clear from your description??

DTC 36 means the PCM can not find the low resolution pulse from the optical cam position sensor in the Opti. But that code is usually not enough to cause the engine not to start. But it may extend the starting period. When DTC 36 sets, the PCM defaults to using the low resolution pulse for the ignition and injector timing. It may take a few cranking revs to determine that the high res pulse is missing, and that it has to default to the low res signal.

There is also a DTC 16, for the loss of the low res pulse, and when that sets, the engine will not run, because the PCM shuts down the fuel system.

Check the short Opti harness connector, both ends, for corrosion, broken retainer clips, or damaged pins.
Injuneer, I know you just mis-spoke here, (and you now realize it), but, for the original posters benefit, you meant to say that "...... DTC 36 means the PCM can not find the HIGH resolution pulse .....".
Old 03-20-2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by 97 6SPEED Z
With DTC code 36 active:

Week 1: Hard starting, but it will eventually start and run okay.

Week 2: Hard starting, but will eventually start and run with a misfire.

Week 3: Hard starting, but will evenyually start, run with a misfire, and after anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes of run time .... will stall and not re-start for 20 - 30 minutes.

Been there and done that ..... it's the Optispark's optical position sensor going bad.
oh snap.. im guessing this isnt an easy task. im no car pro, i work with what i got and figure stuff out.. is this going to be hard.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:25 PM

If your just checking the opti harness connector its a simple ten minute job to get to it and check it. you should be able to unplug it without moving anything out of the way and maybe if anything just moving the air intake system to make it even easier, if your checking the opti and are pulling it off you can buy a haynes manual and go step by step with it i did it when i first started working on cars and it worked out for me and at the time i could hardly change oil. Be prepared when taking the opti off youll need new water pump gaskets for the water pump and you can buy the manual at any auto parts store usually for nineteen bucks or something like that.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:27 AM

I highly suggest you scan it correctly for codes. A 36 can not and will not cause the engine to die or anything else. Either there is another code such as the 16 that was mentioned earlier. Or there is something occurring that is not monitored and reported by the PCM. Remember that some codes like the 16 do not set an SES.

As far as removing the short harness at the opti and looking at the connection. It is NOT easy to get to as you may have already noticed. The latch must be undone while pulling the connector out. Ouch that's a tight squeeze. But it should be done none the less.

If you do find that the engine is dieing but not setting another DTC. Fix the 36 and move on to another system as the PCM would be telling you if it was control related at the opti.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 97 6SPEED Z
Injuneer, I know you just mis-spoke here, (and you now realize it), but, for the original posters benefit, you meant to say that "...... DTC 36 means the PCM can not find the HIGH resolution pulse .....".
Thanks for pointing that out. After having posted this information hundreds of times over the last eleven years, I get sloppy and don't proof-read it all the time.