LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Code 36! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 09:43 PM

Code 36! Help!

I'm getting a code 36, which is HI-RES.

hynes manual says: faulty high resolution pulse or multiple low resolution pulses detected in ignition system.

I have new opti, new MSD blaster coil (2 days old), new wires, new plugs autolites 106 (put in today).

The only thing I can think it could be is my ignition module.

and there is no arching from wires.

I can erase the trouble code, and as soon as the code is erased, it comes right back, immediately.

Anyone?

Thanks yall

David Moss

P.S. oh yeah, i saw my tach do some weird things last night (mostly hesitation). Car cuts out terrible once I reach high rpms (6000 cold). Then, the more I drive it, the worse it gets. It gets to cutting out at 3000 rpms. Will not pull any more rpms, just spit and sputter and backfire through the pipes until I get out of the throttle. HELP!
Old 01-16-2003, 09:46 PM

When that happened to me it was the coil wire. But I see you just replaced that so I don't know, I'd start with the wire though.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:48 PM

Hope your opti went on easily and you did not have to force it on or pull it on with the bolts. Other than that, look at the opti electrical harness for any corrosion or damage. The code is caused by what the pcm detects from the opti, not on the coil or ICM circuit.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:11 PM

alright

Shoe, I was hoping you were going to look at this, because you always have a d&ymn good explaination for my ailments.

opti went on like silk. I put it on out of the car when I put the engine together, so I know it is on right.

I'll check that first thing in the morning.

I'm also going to jump on that coil wire also.

I'll keep posted if I find something.

David Moss
Old 01-16-2003, 10:17 PM

I just posted about this on your reply on the other post. I think it is opti, coil, coil wire related.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:52 AM
Administrator

DTC 36 is loss of high res pulse from the Opti, plain and simple. It is not caused by anything else. The PCM is looking for 360 pulses per two crank revolutions, and isn't seeing the right signal.

You don't mention any problems other than the code.... is it running OK.... no stumbles or misses? The engine will appear to run fine even whe you get DTC 36. The PCM defaults to estimating the crank/cam position from the low resolution pulse (8 per 2 crank revs) and you lose a little bit of accuracy on the timing. But the loss is minor. Not sure if the PCM takes any other precautions with DTC 36, like pulling a little timing for safety.

Check the harness connector on the Opti for a bent or corroded pin. Also look at the intermediate Opti harness connector for damage/corrosion - the gray connector on the bracket in the middle of the passenger side of the intake manifold. That one seldom has a problem though.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:57 AM

still looking

You were talking about misses or stumbles, this thing falls flat on it's face at high rpms. I can floor it in 2nd gear, and about 5000 rpms it misses so bad that it won't rev any higher. I have to lift off of the accelerator to make it stop, or change gears. And as it gets hotter, the rpms are less, @3000 it dies.

it also doesn't want to start. It'll turn over several times with a no start condition.
If I take and press the accelerator down 3/4 to all the way down, it will start.

NAPA has my ignition controll module in stock today, and I'm thinking about going to get it.

ANYONE?!

Thanks

David Moss
South Carolina
Old 01-18-2003, 06:02 AM

module

Well,

it wasn't the module.

I swear, it acts like the coil or the wire. I will be onto these.

I checked the grey connector on the passenger side manifold going to the opti spark, and it looked good. I also checked the plug where it goes into the opti spark, and it looked good also.

I called about the new opti and Jason said that I have a year warranty on the part, so if nothing else, I may have to get another new opti. It isn't about 5 months old.

I'm still getting the code 36 hi res, so at least I know about where to look.

ANYONE!?

David Moss
Old 01-18-2003, 09:10 AM

If you just want to make yourself feel better, put your old coil back on for a test. Some MSDs have been known to die prematurely. I know it should not cause this code, but it is a relatively easy thing to try.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:54 AM

No way would a coil or coil wire cause this code. Somebody tried telling you that your ICM has nothing to do with the problem and you didn't even bother to listen. You are in denial man...it has something to do with your optispark.

I'm not trying mean here, but if you want help, would you let us help you?? If you don't trust our judgment, then why even bother if you are just going to go and do your own thing anyway??

Like I said, I'm not trying to be an @$$, but just my .02
Old 01-18-2003, 10:03 AM

fix tim

alright shoe,

What should we do.

Rebuilt motor 3 months ago
I have a brand new opti. (3 to 4 months old)
I have a xe224/230 cam, so do you think that is could have shaken something loose in opti?
What way can we test an opti? any?
What way can we test wires to opti.
Haynes manual tells how to check computer, so I'll do that.

I had the car running, and unplugged grey connector, and car shut off. I must have good connection there. Everything looked good. No bent prongs or corrosion.

I pulled all the plugs, and evey plug had good color, good burn, no arching from wires.

new plug wires, new coil, new opti, new ICM.....everthing should be good.

It only misses at high rpms. It can be full throttle, half throttle, or little throttle, it doesn't matter, as long as the RPMS are high.

Also, would opti affect tach from reading wrong? I pulled the tranny out of gear, and reved the engine, and the engine shot up in rpms, but the tachometer had a delay on it. You could hear the engine out running the tach. tach never caught up with peak rpm, it caught the engine on the rpm downslope. Thats the reason I said it would be coil, but I guess that shouldn't have an effect on code 36.

Yall, I'm going to find this motha.

ANYONE?!
Old 01-18-2003, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by DubbyZ28Camaro
No way would a coil or coil wire cause this code. Somebody tried telling you that your ICM has nothing to do with the problem and you didn't even bother to listen. You are in denial man...it has something to do with your optispark.

I'm not trying mean here, but if you want help, would you let us help you?? If you don't trust our judgment, then why even bother if you are just going to go and do your own thing anyway??

Like I said, I'm not trying to be an @$$, but just my .02
Agree about the cause of the code, but it is possible he has more than one problem. Since the coil was just replaced, it is not illogical to suspect it, especially with the track record of some MSD coils.
Old 01-18-2003, 11:24 AM

ok heres how i see it...

you have an OPTI code! and you are getting a bad miss in the upper RPMs. i smell a bad opti. what more proof do you need? the unit should be under warrenty so you can get a new one for free even if you installed it yourself i believe. now i will say i replaced my opti a while back because my car would die right after i started it up and would get many codes..of them 36 and 16. then every once n a while id get 36 alone. so i replaced my opti and all was good till about a month ago i got a freak 36. its only happened once and i have never felt a miss so it is possible i suppose the problem could lie elsewhere and not be the opti. i wouldnt count on that though in this case but thought id still share the possibility.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:00 PM

Here are some outside of the box theories... If the code is reliant on the pulse signal and the relationship to the Crank Position Sensor, could a bad connection in the CKP harness or loose/faulty CKP cause this code?

Also, since the engine was rebuilt recently, did you replace the timing chain? Again, if it is getting sloppy, the reading from the CKP and Opti/CMP will deteriorate. Correct?

These are theories, but make sense to be contributing factors.
Old 01-18-2003, 01:53 PM

timing chain

Timing chain was brand new. Along with everything else.

Everything looks opti relevant, so I'll be calling Jason Monday morning for a new opti. I have Sunday to check every wiring connector, wire, connection, ect....

If the opti went out this quick, I wonder why, and is the next one going to do the same.

I guess we'll see........

If anyone has anything else, let me know, cause I"m going through this thing tommorow.

Thanks yall

David Moss

Quick Reply: Code 36! Help!