LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Code 43 Knock sensor ...need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 10:47 AM

Code 43 Knock sensor ...need help

i've went through everything and even had taken my car into the mechanic to have him check things out. i went to shoebox's website and got the correct ohms for the knock sensor in the block, everything checked out good ( i've tried 3 knock sensors 2 at 3900ohms and 1 at 5kohms, all for 94-95). had the correct voltage on the knock sensor wire with the sensor plugged in 2.5v (i beileve it was) and unplugged, 5 volts... also checked the grounds to the PCM... i've had this issues for my 383 stroker which blew and now for my 350 w/ heads, cam etc off of my 383...

for good measure i've also replaced my opti...

i am also running an LT4 knock module in my PCM...

PCMForless does all of my tuning and asures me there is nothing in the tune that could affect this...

at idle my knock count is 7-9 and my timing is being retarded 7 degrees. When i begin to rev the engine (rev. up to 1500rpm) knock count went to 0 and time went to 0, everything was fine? its only at idle that my counts go up. My car does not feel very peppy at all, rather dogish... with heads, cam and headers you would think it would be peppier than a stock LT1....

i need some help..i'm about $600 bucks into chasing this headache... my next option is to take it to Lingenfelter for tuning.... $$$
Old 06-26-2012, 05:46 AM

43 response

2 things you need to do. First disconnect both ends of the wire going to the KS. That is at the KS and at the PCM. Then measure the voltage at the KS end. Obviously it should be 0. If it's not, the wire is shorted to a source along it's length. Which brings me to an interesting point.

If I remember correctly, the KS (blue) wire runs down the inner passenger fender with the starter and the O2 wire. It's wrapped in foil for a short distance on the way down. If you have headers, they may be too close to the wrap and might have burned the insulation on the KS wire.

This signal wire is also very susceptible to spark plug wire interference.

Pull the over wrap off the wire at the fender and inspect it for heat damage and move it as far away from the spark and heat as possible.

If needed, wrap it with more foil.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Re: Code 43 Knock sensor ...need help

Is DTC 43 an active code or a stored code? Have you cleared the code to see how soon/when it comes back?

Your post is a bit confusing with the reference to "knock count", but the numbers don't sound like what you would see in the knock count field. That's a field that can increment upwards by a few thousand counts on a simple cold start. It will keep incrementing, and eventually hit the max allowable number for the field (64,000?) then reset to 0 and start incrementing over again. When you mention numbers like 7 and 9, it sounds like the knock retard numbers, not the knock count. Knock count will not suddenly drop to "0" when you rev the engine, however knock retard will.

When DTC 43 is active, the PCM calculates the knock retard from the engine operating conditions. It will be a variable number ranging from 0 - 15 (assuming the tuner has not reduced the max allowable retard from the stock setting).

And it would seem very unusual for the "time" (timing?) to go to "0".