LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Combination Motorsports 612 Spring FAILURE

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 03:52 PM

Re: Combination Motorsports 612 Spring FAILURE

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
Does Jeff still have the car, or did you take it home already?
We trailered it home. Jeff did everything he could to help me out, I'm in his debt.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:53 PM

Here's the damage.

Old 10-18-2004, 03:56 PM

Old 10-18-2004, 03:58 PM

Wow, was that pushrod one of the "hardened" ones that came with the kit?
Old 10-18-2004, 03:59 PM

Are those stock pistons?

The cylender must be deeper than the picture appears to cause your concern, But at least youre gonna need to yank the motor and hone. Might as well go the whole nine yards.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:19 PM

Ouch.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:23 PM

someone asked what other springs you can use with stock seats. doesnt crane make a set?
Old 10-18-2004, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by dmoor88
someone asked what other springs you can use with stock seats. doesnt crane make a set?
Crane does, and Jeff at CAM recommend a set that crower makes that fits.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:36 PM

JeffK: Yeah, its a hardened pushrod

Ws Sick: No, the scuff isnt very deep at all, but you can feel it with your finger. It can probably be smoothed out without too much issue. I'm guessing the brown is just rustmarks/compression from the valve not closing. Stock pistons. We have a hone here, matter of fact. Hoping to not have to pull the block, because that would be a colossal waste of time and effort. If I did that, I'd rebuild the motor at this point.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:43 PM

my first set of 612 springs had a "faulty" one in it too, after about 500 miles on that motor the spring broke in 3 places and of course shattered a few other peices everywhere. They sent me a new one for free... and I did the labor for free
Old 10-18-2004, 04:46 PM

Arrrggh! I'm feeling for you. The damage looks just like what I'm recovering from now. It brings back unpleasant memories just looking at it. Mine was a piece of valve seat that broke and dinged up the head and piston. Good luck, and I hope you get through without too much wallet damage.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Spinner
JeffK: Yeah, its a hardened pushrod

Ws Sick: No, the scuff isnt very deep at all, but you can feel it with your finger. It can probably be smoothed out without too much issue. I'm guessing the brown is just rustmarks/compression from the valve not closing. Stock pistons. We have a hone here, matter of fact. Hoping to not have to pull the block, because that would be a colossal waste of time and effort. If I did that, I'd rebuild the motor at this point.
Yeah, if you can get er done in the car it would be a waste to just hone it if youre pulling the motor.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:51 PM

Well, I did talk with you on friday and it was brief due to your circumstances.
A couple of things to note before there is a panic here and the LS1tech board that you posted on.
1) As far as the "hardened pushrod" concern, a bend like that is pretty hand in hand with a spring failure because it will not compress, bound up like that. So it spits it out sideways.
Had it been a chromoly, Spinner would not be considering more motor work, it would be a given.
2) As far as the strength of the 612 spring and all those ready to throw in the towel, I would give you countless situations where they have performed excellent in various applications, but I think they're have been enough scenarios to already posted up.
Those of you throwing out that they have never seen or heard of a bad batch must not be familiar with the 918 fiasco a couple of years ago.
That spring in comparison to the 612, is a better spring.
However, $109.97 will get you the locks, retainers, and spring locators and that's about it for the 918 setup.
3) Someone mentioned it and I don't know the circumstances in this particular case, but it is very easy to install the RR setup improperly and create an adverse load.
If that's not the case, than it's neither here nor there.

The EX-612 spring is a product that we sell, much like a Comp Cam, or a Cloyes Timing set.
By practice, and from what I've seen personally, it is discretion of the retailer to handle the problem or pass it on to the actual manufacturer.

While it does seem odd that your spring broke in a pretty tame setting, I told you I would work with you and you said that you would be getting back to me.
Which is what I will still do, regardless of how many boards you post up on.

As far as the piston scuff, I've scotchbrited them before and they've ran great with the only concern being a hotspot for potential nitrous use.
But it's no more a hotspot than a valve relief if it's smoothed out.

PS, as far as Shawn's car goes, here is the disclaimer:
He has a freak car and freak components, and he is a freak. Nuff said.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:56 PM

If you pay the shipping spinner I have a stock piston you can have for 5 bucks.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by CMSDave
Well, I did talk with you on friday and it was brief due to your circumstances.
A couple of things to note before there is a panic here and the LS1tech board that you posted on.
1) As far as the "hardened pushrod" concern, a bend like that is pretty hand in hand with a spring failure because it will not compress, bound up like that. So it spits it out sideways.
Had it been a chromoly, Spinner would not be considering more motor work, it would be a given.
2) As far as the strength of the 612 spring and all those ready to throw in the towel, I would give you countless situations where they have performed excellent in various applications, but I think they're have been enough scenarios to already posted up.
Those of you throwing out that they have never seen or heard of a bad batch must not be familiar with the 918 fiasco a couple of years ago.
That spring in comparison to the 612, is a better spring.
However, $109.97 will get you the locks, retainers, and spring locators and that's about it for the 918 setup.
3) Someone mentioned it and I don't know the circumstances in this particular case, but it is very easy to install the RR setup improperly and create an adverse load.
If that's not the case, than it's neither here nor there.

The EX-612 spring is a product that we sell, much like a Comp Cam, or a Cloyes Timing set.
By practice, and from what I've seen personally, it is discretion of the retailer to handle the problem or pass it on to the actual manufacturer.

While it does seem odd that your spring broke in a pretty tame setting, I told you I would work with you and you said that you would be getting back to me.
Which is what I will still do, regardless of how many boards you post up on.

As far as the piston scuff, I've scotchbrited them before and they've ran great with the only concern being a hotspot for potential nitrous use.
But it's no more a hotspot than a valve relief if it's smoothed out.

PS, as far as Shawn's car goes, here is the disclaimer:
He has a freak car and freak components, and he is a freak. Nuff said.
Dave: I'm in agreeance with all ya said, going to do what I can to fix the piston, and the cylinder, and button it back up. Going to see the local head guy later today or tomorrow, and I will get back to ya here soon after that, just trying to figure what direction I want to go. Thanks for being so helpful, this is what makes the difference between an average company and a great company.

Quick Reply: Combination Motorsports 612 Spring FAILURE