LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Combination Motorsports 612 Spring FAILURE

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 02:47 PM
Banned

Re: Combination Motorsports 612 Spring FAILURE

If a spring breaks in 5,000 miles I could just be one of those "it happens" things, or it could be that the cam lobes have some bad accellerations, jerk, or 4th, 5th and 6th order of velocity problems. When you have lobes that could cause this a better spring material (like a 918 beehive) or a dual spring is the only solution to preventing damage.

If it breaks on a 20,000 mile motor, that's the owners fault. I say this because at the most 15,000 miles on a high performance valvetrain setup is a ton. Valve springs turn into a wear item at that point. Changing the springs at 10,000 - 15,000 miles is the only way to keep a spring from ruining your motor. Track time has zero to do with it, it's revolutions.

Bret
Old 10-28-2004, 03:06 PM

So people with daily drivers should change out the valve springs that often thats crazy I mean think about it heads and cam cars are high performance.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
If a spring breaks in 5,000 miles I could just be one of those "it happens" things, or it could be that the cam lobes have some bad accellerations, jerk, or 4th, 5th and 6th order of velocity problems. When you have lobes that could cause this a better spring material (like a 918 beehive) or a dual spring is the only solution to preventing damage.

If it breaks on a 20,000 mile motor, that's the owners fault. I say this because at the most 15,000 miles on a high performance valvetrain setup is a ton. Valve springs turn into a wear item at that point. Changing the springs at 10,000 - 15,000 miles is the only way to keep a spring from ruining your motor. Track time has zero to do with it, it's revolutions.

Bret

Hi Bret I see your point on a high preformance engine with big cams etc but this is not a race car witha big cam but, a everyday driver for the Delteq System I promote and sell..... With the 224/236/114 cam (low lift version) I have should not have toasted these springs in less then 20k i have built many motors were they have gone through hell and did not break the dampers like this. These springs were mounted on bone stock heads with no mods (and installed correctly).... I can’t say this car has never seen high rpm but it's not a race-car and 95% of the driving is below 4000 rpm. I would have expected the spring to break before the damper

Last edited by Maldo; 10-28-2004 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:12 PM
Banned

Jim I hear ya, but aftermarket lobes and lift require that springs are now a wear item. Now would you replace the 612's at 15,000miles to save your motor?

I would use another spring that I wouldn't want to worry about but I would still replace them after 15,000 miles.

Bret
Old 10-28-2004, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
Jim I hear ya, but aftermarket lobes and lift require that springs are now a wear item. Now would you replace the 612's at 15,000miles to save your motor?

I would use another spring that I wouldn't want to worry about but I would still replace them after 15,000 miles.

Bret
Bret,

I think you are missing the point When I buy stuff from a vender I expect for them to tell me about thier product or give good recommendation when i tell them what i need it for ... there are a ton of guys out here who run the same cam using other springs with no problems ...
I have built many motor that I know what’s what but when I call up a vendors and they tell me to take off my double valve springs and to run their springs because it was a better match (I was told be Seth (when he worked there) This is why I am upset about this issue….
Old 10-28-2004, 06:03 PM

If the springs you are refering too had a damper..there were not 612s! That means they sent the wrong springs or you put different springs on thinking they were 612s. Obviously if they were not 612s they may have needed machining to work on the heads.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Maldo
Bret,

I think you are missing the point When I buy stuff from a vender I expect for them to tell me about thier product or give good recommendation when i tell them what i need it for ... there are a ton of guys out here who run the same cam using other springs with no problems ...
I have built many motor that I know what’s what but when I call up a vendors and they tell me to take off my double valve springs and to run their springs because it was a better match (I was told be Seth (when he worked there) This is why I am upset about this issue….
Seth isin't worthing there anymore now I don't think.

Sometimes the right part is more expensive and that scares guys away, all depends on what you are trying to do, make the sale or get the guy what he needs.

Bret
Old 10-28-2004, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by JeffK
Gotcha. Mine sounds like a collapsed lifter, but a broken spring has been mentioned.
Jeff you sound like you have the same problem I do. Its more of a rubbing/scraping noise, and it sounds like its coming from underneath the intake area? I thought a broken rocker at first or maybe a bent pushrod, but i checked the louder side so far, and everything was good there. Ive got a stumble through the whole range now, and the noise is getting slowly louder. Im guessing a collapsed lifter myself. The engine is coming out this weekend to replace with a 60k mile used one after i swap a cam into it so Ill let you know what I find.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:40 AM

I would really appreciate that. My noise is definately on the right side of the motor. I just have not had the time to delve into it further. I have managed to get the valve cover off and have looked for trouble. Nothing jumps out at me.

Originally Posted by blown94
Jeff you sound like you have the same problem I do. Its more of a rubbing/scraping noise, and it sounds like its coming from underneath the intake area? I thought a broken rocker at first or maybe a bent pushrod, but i checked the louder side so far, and everything was good there. Ive got a stumble through the whole range now, and the noise is getting slowly louder. Im guessing a collapsed lifter myself. The engine is coming out this weekend to replace with a 60k mile used one after i swap a cam into it so Ill let you know what I find.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:20 AM

Sounds to me like a "bad" lifter. I have the same problem so I bought new lifters. Also try Casite oil additive. That will calm the lifter down, works for me.
Old 10-30-2004, 07:01 AM

We are all dying to knowwhat has been done?
Old 10-30-2004, 08:21 AM

Hmm, I wonder if those 612 springs are made overseas?
Old 10-31-2004, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by EDS Z28
Hmm, I wonder if those 612 springs are made overseas?
Yep, they're made here in Hungary lol j/k
Old 10-31-2004, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by JeffK
Just out of curiousity, did you notice your oil pressure going up and down when this happened?
Oil pressure was steady as a rock.

JColeZ28: I've been out of town again this whole past week, been VERY busy. Will get with CM monday and let everyone know the final outcome of all this.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:40 AM

Mine was bouncing from the middle of the gauge to the lower half initially.

Originally Posted by Spinner
Oil pressure was steady as a rock.

JColeZ28: I've been out of town again this whole past week, been VERY busy. Will get with CM monday and let everyone know the final outcome of all this.

Quick Reply: Combination Motorsports 612 Spring FAILURE