LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Comp Cams Dowel Pin

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 08:13 PM

Comp Cams Dowel Pin

Yes, I know, not exactly advanced tech. But this seems like the only place to get a real answer. I had a post in the LT1 engine forum and got nothing.
I also did an exaustive search and found lots of installed dimensions but nobody said anything about what depth was needed for a stable press fit pin.

Move it if you must, but please move it after I get an answer.

I have a CC305 cam. It was setup for a '94 and I am using it in a '95.

The cam pin was installed with .25 proud of the face of the cam.

I removed the pin. The pin is about 1.19" long.

If I install it with .620 exposed that will leave .5" of dowel pin pressed inside the cam.

My question is this, is .5" enough to keep the pin stable and located in the cam, or do I need a longer dowel pin from Comp Cams?

Thanks

Z28
Old 11-13-2005, 09:05 PM
Banned

Re: Comp Cams Dowel Pin

Get the longer pin and cut it off if necessary. Make sure the pin will bottom in cam hole.
1/2" is enough to hold the pin if the press fit will prevent it from moving in or out.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Your post in the correct LT1/LT4 Engine Tech forum was tacked on to someone else's thread..... sort of a hijack.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by 1racerdude
Get the longer pin and cut it off if necessary. Make sure the pin will bottom in cam hole.
1/2" is enough to hold the pin if the press fit will prevent it from moving in or out.
Thanks for the reply, I agree with you, I would feel best if the pin bottomed in the hole.

I called Comp Cams help line and asked them how long the "long pin" was supposed to be? They told me the long pin was 1".

They were nice and went to measure a pin for me. But they also told me that the early LT1 needed the long pin and the later ones needed the short pin. I told them that this was wrong and reversed, they did not seem to take correction very well. But their final word on the stuation was that all of their cams come with the long pin and the long pin is 1". They also suggested that I reinstall the pin with some locktight at the .620.

Since the pin in my CC305 is 1.19 inches long I don't have much faith in their opinion.

I went to a local engine shop and they had a pin but it was only 1/2" long. So the stock CC pin is much longer than that.

I would need a pin that was at least 1.59" long to bottom at an installed .620 height. I don't think that is a stock size. I would have to go to a machine shop and get it cut from drill rod or something.

If the pin some how walked in due to vibration the opti would stop working or would be torn up, not good.

Seems like way too much trouble but I guess not getting th elittle things right is a good way to get in trouble with an engine.

Anybody have a related experience or suggestions with a cam pin install?

Thanks

Z28