LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Competition Thinks Ai Car Has 700 HP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by quickSS
Loved how you pulled away in the streights Randy. Those other cars took the turns like go-karts though.

Would you or S&S Engines be willing to share your engine oiling set up? It'd be neat to hear what you have for pump and cooling in your super solid 383. I just put the same valve train that you have in a customers FI drag race 383LT1, (The Ai spec Xceldyne retainers/locks, PSI springs, shaft rockers. . . . )

I'm trying to learn what the successful road racers are doing for engine longevity and this set up you have looks to be certainly successful.

thanks

Karl
We didn't do too much that was special. They did some grinding on the block in areas and put screens in the lifter valley since the old motor expired due to a failed lifter getting through to the timing chain and stopping the works VERY suddenly. The oil pump is a HV Melling. There are guys running everything from Canton Accusumps to Dry Sumps in my class. I don't feel that is necessary at my level. Been racing the car 4 years with only the one lifter failure so far.....KNOCK ON WOOD!

I can tell the "overbuilt" Ai spec valvetrain with the Xceldyne products, which are amazing by the way, and the NASCAR spec PSI springs have saved my bacon already. My newly rebuilt tranny is a little different in feel, and I have shift 3 times now from 3rd to 2nd instead of 4th on a straight.....VERY BAD over-rev.....I saw the tach sweep well past 8500 RPM....and she held together like a champ.

As for the handling...yeah....the 'ol straight axle is a little rougher to sling through the turns than "go karts" like the Honda, Porsche and Corvette, but it DOES normally do better than that. I watch that and see over-braking and bad apexes all over the place.....the fact that with the extra power I only matched my best time shows I was NOT hitting the turns very well that weekend......practice, practice, practice.....

Last edited by rmackintosh; 05-31-2007 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:25 AM

dude thats killer, to be putting that much distance on them and taking the turns like a grandma, those guys better start finding some more HP if they want a chance at touching you!! good job AI
Old 05-31-2007, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Tricked-Out-Toy
dude thats killer, to be putting that much distance on them and taking the turns like a grandma, those guys better start finding some more HP if they want a chance at touching you!! good job AI
Well, I don't know about a grandma, but definately conservative.....

Oh...and for oiling I DO have a Canton RR Oil Pan...
Old 05-31-2007, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by rmackintosh
We didn't do too much that was special. They did some grinding on the block in areas and put screens in the lifter valley since the old motor expired due to a failed lifter getting through to the timing chain and stopping the works VERY suddenly. The oil pump is a HV Melling. There are guys running everything from Canton Accusumps to Dry Sumps in my class. I don't feel that is necessary at my level. Been racing the car 4 years with only the one lifter failure so far.....KNOCK ON WOOD!

I can tell the "overbuilt" Ai spec valvetrain with the Xceldyne products, which are amazing by the way, and the NASCAR spec PSI springs have saved my bacon already. My newly rebuilt tranny is a little different in feel, and I have shift 3 times now from 3rd to 2nd instead of 4th on a straight.....VERY BAD over-rev.....I saw the tach sweep well past 8500 RPM....and she held together like a champ.

As for the handling...yeah....the 'ol straight axle is a little rougher to sling through the turns than "go karts" like the Honda, Porsche and Corvette, but it DOES normally do better than that. I watch that and see over-braking and bad apexes all over the place.....the fact that with the extra power I only matched my best time shows I was NOT hitting the turns very well that weekend......practice, practice, practice.....
8500 rpm I'm glad it's a solid set-up. Yeah that's the trouble with more HP, it takes longer to slow the car down for the turns. Got decent brakes?
Old 05-31-2007, 11:41 AM

That is awesome! Thumbs up

One question though, How do you determine who you are racing? Like HP wise, or is it based on how you do in a trial run? And I have to agree, this kind of racing sure beats the hell out of straightaway drag racing

Keep on with the green mean machine
Old 05-31-2007, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Z-RATED94
8500 rpm I'm glad it's a solid set-up. Yeah that's the trouble with more HP, it takes longer to slow the car down for the turns. Got decent brakes?

Porsche Big Reds..

They slow her down alright.....Stoptechs might be a little better....
Old 05-31-2007, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Clark
That is awesome! Thumbs up

One question though, How do you determine who you are racing? Like HP wise, or is it based on how you do in a trial run? And I have to agree, this kind of racing sure beats the hell out of straightaway drag racing

Keep on with the green mean machine
Most groups in the SCCA are grouped by cars of like speed. I am running in "Improved Touring". They have ITA, ITB, ITC, ITR, ITS and ITE. I run ITE...E meaning "Everything" pretty much unlimited. Can be he who spends most wins......in the past it has been.....but now we are pretty equal.....
Old 05-31-2007, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by bdc95ta
Looks like so much fun, any advice for a noob getting into roadracing?
The NASA group is in town June 23-24:http://www.nasatx.com/main.asp If you want to get on track, sign up for the HPDE1 - Novice Driver Education. The safety requirments are listed on the NASA site.

Here's the track link:http://www.msrhouston.com/ and there are some in car track videos.

Even if you don't want to drive this time out, come out to the track and talk to the Camaro Mustang Challenge/American Iron group and spend a day watching the racing and looking at cars. If you're nice to the NASA instructors and tell them you're interested, you can probably get a couple laps in the passenger seat.

Just remember, there's a lot of the day that these guys/gals are "at work." Be nice and understand if they tell you they can't talk right now. Be forewarned - you will get hooked.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:24 PM

Thanks guys I'll definitly check it out.
-b
Old 05-31-2007, 06:10 PM
Banned

Anyone know where I can get a trackday hpde car for a reasonable price?

OR a 85-93 5 speed Mustang or a 83-92 5.0 5 speed 3rd gen F body to start building a car?

Don't care about:

Paint
interior
a/c or heat that works
damaged front cap or fenders(I can change them)

Must have sound drivetrain

Anyone?

I have looked at all the roadracing sites I can find on the net.

David
Old 05-31-2007, 09:46 PM

Randy, another question for oiling if you don't mind;
How is your oil temperature doing? Do you have an engine oil cooler? Well I'm sure you do have an oil cooler. But I'm mainly interested in what your oil temps get up to during a race. Thanks,

Karl Ellwein
Ellwein Engines
Old 05-31-2007, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Anyone know where I can get a trackday hpde car for a reasonable price?

OR a 85-93 5 speed Mustang or a 83-92 5.0 5 speed 3rd gen F body to start building a car?

Don't care about:

Paint
interior
a/c or heat that works
damaged front cap or fenders(I can change them)

Must have sound drivetrain

Anyone?

I have looked at all the roadracing sites I can find on the net.

David

look into 2nd gen rx7s, good handling, and if u feel the need for more power - v8 swap it
Old 05-31-2007, 10:12 PM

WOW, this is seriously awesome!! Make sure you post more videos ASAP. Also, any pictures of the car?

Congrats!!
Old 05-31-2007, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Spitfire557
WOW, this is seriously awesome!! Make sure you post more videos ASAP. Also, any pictures of the car?

Congrats!!
I have a website in my signature....
Old 05-31-2007, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by rmackintosh
I have a website in my signature....
yes, yes you do!!

Quick Reply: Competition Thinks Ai Car Has 700 HP!