LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Complete Car issue run-down - VERY LONG - At a total loss now!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 08:00 PM

yea try using stock injectors. those 30's are over kill anyways.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:09 PM

The 30's aren't overkill if you want to keep the duty cycle down.

With the new AFPR, the problem is almost the same on both sides with the injector constant set for the tune. So swapping injectors will be a last resort.

I have a Random Tech Cat, and it's NOT clogged.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by Fastbird93
With the new AFPR, the problem is almost the same on both sides with the injector constant set for the tune. So swapping injectors will be a last resort.
I'm not saying that is definitely your problem but keep in mind that per you...
Next, I tried a tune with the injector constants set up higher to try to lean out the car. The right LTerm only went down to 116 and the STerm went lean to about 132, but the Left side LTerm drove to 108 and Sterm went to about 68.
This was after the new AFPR. Or am I confused? A LTerm split of 8 seems like a problem to me.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:10 AM

Back to the EVAP Canister system, I did notice that I was getting an excess of fuel vapor in the manifold. Could it really be so bad as to flood my system like that?? As for the purge valve and sticking open, we are talking about the valve on the side of the intake manifold right? I have a Chiltons and a 93 Servoce Manual, so having a look should be no problem. Thanks!
In addition to that. The chiltons book say if you smell gasoline by your intake manifold....... then it pretty much described what you just said.

I have the 95 chiltons book and it does come with info too. Good luck. If you fixed it this way make sure to post so other people who are running too rich can benefit from your findings.

Marvin
Old 02-01-2004, 10:33 AM

Well, I will be VERY surpirsed if this is the fix, as I've NEVER heard of anyone having this particular system cause any trouble since I've been on the board.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by Fastbird93
Well, I will be VERY surpirsed if this is the fix, as I've NEVER heard of anyone having this particular system cause any trouble since I've been on the board.
would be funny tho , there are a couple of people with probs running rich that havent found the solution yet. Im still trying to figure out what would make my right bank run rich (or the car think it is , computer is leaning it out) while the left runs perfect. Also got a high idle problem too. Air gettin in somewhere and I havent found it yet. Not in a hurry now tho gotta fix the rear first :/ .
Old 02-02-2004, 01:47 PM

Well, I got blocked from working on it this afternoon. I was 10 minutes from home and get a phone call saying I've got a mandatory short notice commanders call at 1500. So.....

Tonight we shall see......
Old 02-02-2004, 01:58 PM

Sorry to hear this problem is still with you man, I thought you had it licked.

I'm waiting with baited breath to see what comes of the evap solenoid.

I personally think your fuel pressure was OK. Jay might have been thinking about LS1 cars. It does sound like the regulator was bleeding off pressure though so its good you replaced it.

I'm still lost on my miss (for those that care, do a search for "Mystery Miss" and enjoy the novel). I bought an old osciliscope off ebay I am hoping will help me troubleshoot the ignition and maybe rule it out once and for all as the cause.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:25 PM

Well, give me about an hour and I'll know something. I'm getting ready to go probe the circuit, cap the lines (solenoid removed for kicks), and give her a run.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:45 PM

lemme just say that i skimmed through your thread since i had been reading yours and everyone elses that was having a miss for a while now, have you changed the o2 sensors??....that fixed my car, i had the nasty stumble, lay into when its in 4th (a4)and nothing, but it finally threw a code and changed 02's slapped on a new belt and its as good as new
Old 02-02-2004, 05:49 PM

Yup.

It's NOT the EVAP system.

I've had it at this point. This motherf$%#&*^ thing is killing me. It doesn't matter what I do, the damn thing won't quit running rich!!!
Old 02-02-2004, 05:50 PM

When you swapped ECMs didnt it run good but then when you ordered one that unit gave you trouble again?

Originally posted by WhoBetter?
you've got all that money from working in the military, why don't you just forget about it and get a new car. I'll tell you right now with my job I don't have that kind of time to **** around and waste nor would I throw money by dumping it in a 93 car.
Go back to camarov6.com and stay out of the LT1 section if you know nothing and have nothing to do with LT1s.

Last edited by neil350; 02-02-2004 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:58 PM

Neil350, look up one post. Wasn't the problem.

One thing I did take note of, was that my IAC position was "0". Not cool. Possible vacuum leak, but I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING!!!

I tried a chip with the injector constant set at 35# to see what would happen. Left side LTerms went to 108 still, but the right side went to 134. Both STerms were on the rich side, but the left was a lot lower than the right.

I've had it. I can't find anything wrong with the car but for some reason it's just running rich no matter what.

I have noticed some increased valvetrain clicking. I'm wondering if it's something completely mechanical, like a collapsed lifter or something. How feasible does this sound?
Old 02-02-2004, 06:10 PM

I think it would take the average person less than an hour to swap sides with their injectors. The cost is nothing.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:19 PM

Ok, with the IAC at 0, that's a pretty good indicator of a vacuum leak, correct??

Would such a vacuum leak possibly be the cause of my rich condition????

Problem is that I can't find any vacuum leak.

Anyone have any pointers for finding such a troublesome possibility??

As for the fuel injectors, the problem has already switched sides once. After I put in the AFPR, the sides were equal, unless I made a DRASTIC change to the injector constant.

SEVEN MONTHS AND COUNTING.....

Quick Reply: Complete Car issue run-down - VERY LONG - At a total loss now!