LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

confirm my fears

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 01:42 PM

confirm my fears

I have had my car for almost a year now and dumped plenty of money into just making it drivable. Well about a month ago I replaced my opti, with the change in the weather and plenty of rain it started missing a lot. I had already changed the plugs and wires last summer, new coil and icm in the fall when it started missing a little (basically putting off the opti replacement for as long as possible). So now it has started missing again and i am 99% sure it is the opti again because there is an oil leak from the front of the intake manifold running down the front and i am sure fouling the opti. My question is am i gonna have to drop another $350 on a new opti or might i be able to just replace cap and rotor and clean it out. i have never taken apart an opti before and dont know if the oil has completely destroyed it or not.

i am also curious about ideas for next mods, thinking of a stall, then new headers and exhaust, then somewhere down the road heads and cam probably LE2. This is my daily driver until a find a great deal on a very gas efficient car. And to tack on yet another thought instead of a whole new thread what about ceramic pads, do they cut down brake dust enough to be worth it cause right now my wheels are awful after 100 miles of mostly highway driving.

thanks and i must say this site and shbox have been a ton of help with all the other undertakings i have done on the car.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:58 PM

To be honest with you. If your going to go through that much labor in tearing down the front of the motor to get to the opti and just replace the or clean the cap and rotor, I would replace the opti in it's entirity. Its not worth it. Let say you do clean the cap and rotor and put everything back together. Now the car will not work at all. Or you still have the same issues or similar. Guess what. Now you gotta go back in there tearing down the front of the motor and taking the opti off. If your gonna go through that Just replace the whole thing. Another route you can go. I thought about doing this is the LTCC set up. Its going to cost little more than the cost of an Opti (-) Labor. But Ive been hearing good things about it being a good alternative to the OPTI.
Chris
Old 04-16-2007, 03:19 PM

Its been a while since I did mine but when I had it apart i remember seeing how the opti part of it worked and mine had gotten soaked so all the metal parts of it were rusted beyond any amount of cleaning so while you have just layed under you car for a couple hours, I would also suggest just replacing the whole opti then too. Or convert to the coilpacks. Go to www.delteq.com to see the conversion.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:51 AM

i hear what you both said about ltcc or delteq options but i am trying to get out of this cheaply if at all possible. The opti is only a month or so old, plus it is oil saturating it so it shouldnt be rusted or corroded out. Honestly the worst part about replacing the opti was having to wait a day or two to get one shipped to a local parts place. the first time i replaced it i put everything back together and had to tear it down again cause of another issue and i didnt mind all that much. anybody else have any suggestions?
Old 04-17-2007, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by SkiBumDreams
i hear what you both said about ltcc or delteq options but i am trying to get out of this cheaply if at all possible. The opti is only a month or so old, plus it is oil saturating it so it shouldnt be rusted or corroded out. Honestly the worst part about replacing the opti was having to wait a day or two to get one shipped to a local parts place. the first time i replaced it i put everything back together and had to tear it down again cause of another issue and i didnt mind all that much. anybody else have any suggestions?
Fix the oil leak and clean your plug wires, most likely the oil has ruined a plug wire and not the opti itself. The opti is sealed so its very difficult for oil to get inside.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by LiENUS
Fix the oil leak and clean your plug wires, most likely the oil has ruined a plug wire and not the opti itself. The opti is sealed so its very difficult for oil to get inside.
this sounds about right, it happens with mine, you'll see a dark oil spot inside your wires
Old 04-17-2007, 04:52 PM

yea i was planning on changing plugsand wires while i had the intake off although i imagine it is still a pain to get at some of them. i hope it is just plug and wire fix even though it acts just like it did when it was the opti. keepin fingers crossed it fixes the issue when i tear it all down this weekend. thanks for all the advice.