LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Confused!! :/

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 02:39 PM

Confused!! :/

Got my cash and ready to get some mods goin on my Z. I know im goin with a set of 3.73s in rear end. I also know im goin to pick up a GM Performance Hot Cam kit on Monday. Here come the issues... Looking for some good low-end torque, stop sign to stop sign power. Having heads worked was suggested, but now have buddy telling me id probly lose my low end power in exchange for hp's with having heads done. Should I skip the head work and go with some long tubes hooked up to my corsa catback instead? HELP!!!
Old 10-22-2011, 03:30 PM

Re: Confused!! :/

Longtubes will get torque but you will sacrifice some low end with just about any mod. I picked up almost 30 ft lbs at 3700.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:26 PM

If you are going to put in a cam you will some headers to let the air out preferably some longtubes.

What cam are you going with exactly?
Old 10-22-2011, 05:48 PM

GM Hot Cam Kit #12480002
Dur. .050 218/228 lift .525/.525
Meeting guy monday that has set of long tubes off a 93 Z, $100. Jegs has the cam kit for $569.99. Same guy also has set of lt1 aluminum heads he said will let go for $150.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:06 PM

What comes with "cam kit". We installed a performance hot cam and didn't have to change anything else. It's my understanding this is the same cam they install in the corvette. I think we paid $175 bucks for the cam. Just wondering what all your getting for $569.00 bucks. I've been told by numerous people the hot cam will run fine on a stock car no problems. It did for us.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by camz28ryan
What comes with "cam kit". We installed a performance hot cam and didn't have to change anything else. It's my understanding this is the same cam they install in the corvette. I think we paid $175 bucks for the cam. Just wondering what all your getting for $569.00 bucks. I've been told by numerous people the hot cam will run fine on a stock car no problems. It did for us.
The hot cam didn't come in any car. And the least you need is some good valve springs, and benefit from roller rockers as well. All of that comes with the kit.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:15 PM

How many miles on your car?

I would start with looking at air in and air out.

Cold air intake, 1LE elbow (or polished aluminum), long-tube headers and cut-out.
Being that you have an automatic, an aftermarket stall converter will help a lot.

If your looking for stop sign to stop sign power than you will want to look at your suspension as well. Only problem is, the more power you put to the ground the quicker you will break your stock 10 bolt.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:56 PM

Lotsa different ideas. Thats good, gives me options to look at. Think everyone agrees on doing the cam. Also adding the long tube headers seems to be a givin. CAI, does it really improve air intake, and why would mfgs not make it standard from factory if so?
Old 10-23-2011, 12:03 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bencher
GM Hot Cam Kit #12480002
Dur. .050 218/228 lift .525/.525
Meeting guy monday that has set of long tubes off a 93 Z, $100. Jegs has the cam kit for $569.99. Same guy also has set of lt1 aluminum heads he said will let go for $150.
You already have a set of LT1 aluminum heads. Why do you want another set?

CAI, does it really improve air intake, and why would mfgs not make it standard from factory if so?
The CAI is a proven 10-15HP. CAI and a Borla catback picked up 3/10th's in the 1/4-mile way back in 94/95 when I first installed them. If GM had used the best possible air intake and dual exhaust like the LT1 in the Corvette used, there would have been no reason to buy the more expensive Corvette. The Corvette LT1 is identical to the F-Body engine, but it was rated 25HP higher because of a better air intake and the improved dual exhaust.

The LT4 HOT cam kit includes:

GM Performance 12480002 - GM Performance Small-Block V8 Camshaft Kit Details

This kit includes the following items:

One camshaft P/N 809-24502586
16 roller rocker arms kit P/N 809-19210729
16 valve springs P/N 809-12551483
16 valve caps P/N 809-10212808
16 valve keys P/N 809-24503856
16 valve spring shims P/N 809-10212809
Old 10-23-2011, 07:26 AM

The HOT cam kit springs are marginal for the heavier LT1 valves, the LT4 had hollow/sodium filled valves.
The rockers have a short slot so later when you want more power you will find them in need of replacing.
You would be better off putting in better springs and rockers right from the start, of course by the time you do it right the HOT kit is not such a wonderful deal anymore. It is also an extremely poor choice if torque is what you are after.
If heads are done by someone good you should be able to gain a LOT of HP and not lose lowend, but if buying on price like everything else you probably wont use someone good.

Like Black Z said an aftermarket stall is what you should be looking at for torque to the wheels. A good one drives well and stays cool, almost anyone will be fine driving a quality 28-3200 stall and the additional torque they put to the wheels is substantial.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
You already have a set of LT1 aluminum heads. Why do you want another set?

The CAI is a proven 10-15HP. CAI and a Borla catback picked up 3/10th's in the 1/4-mile way back in 94/95 when I first installed them. If GM had used the best possible air intake and dual exhaust like the LT1 in the Corvette used, there would have been no reason to buy the more expensive Corvette. The Corvette LT1 is identical to the F-Body engine, but it was rated 25HP higher because of a better air intake and the improved dual exhaust.

Thanks, that does make sense. All bout making that extra dollar!

The LT4 HOT cam kit includes:
Sorry, should have stated that reason to buy would be so that they could be getting all the work done to them while still having use of the car. Basically just for convenience purposes.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The HOT cam kit springs are marginal for the heavier LT1 valves, the LT4 had hollow/sodium filled valves.
The rockers have a short slot so later when you want more power you will find them in need of replacing.
You would be better off putting in better springs and rockers right from the start, of course by the time you do it right the HOT kit is not such a wonderful deal anymore. It is also an extremely poor choice if torque is what you are after.
If heads are done by someone good you should be able to gain a LOT of HP and not lose lowend, but if buying on price like everything else you probably wont use someone good.

Like Black Z said an aftermarket stall is what you should be looking at for torque to the wheels. A good one drives well and stays cool, almost anyone will be fine driving a quality 28-3200 stall and the additional torque they put to the wheels is substantial.
Kim Barr Racing is actually a pretty reputable shop. Wasnt planning on going down the road to Bubba on the machine work. Dont really see what is wrong with shopping while having cost in mind. Shoot, I only paid $1600 for the car, not looking to take it to NHRA Nationals or to any car shows. Just wanting some decent power at a decent cost.
And the kit not being good for the application I am wanting, well that is why I came here, looking for opinions and others experiences. As with lots of subjects, there are as many ideas and opinions as there are members here. Sure I will have a lot of trial and error as I progress with mods. Im sure all here have gone through that as well.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Administrator

If you are buying LT1 heads, make sure you get the preferred casting. Unfortunately, the photos are dead in this thread, but read up on the casting differences:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=427346
Old 10-23-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
If you are buying LT1 heads, make sure you get the preferred casting. Unfortunately, the photos are dead in this thread, but read up on the casting differences:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=427346
So 643s would be preferred since they have more wall thickness, giving more to port. Ah, I shall have to find out. Is it stamped on the heads which casting they are?
Old 10-23-2011, 09:52 AM

Well, back to square one Scrap the GM kit. Comp Cams XFI 260 HR 13 kit, 1.6 roller rockers and a 2800 converter. Along with long tubes and CAI.

Quick Reply: Confused!! :/