LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Confused!! :/

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 09:57 AM

Re: Confused!! :/

Originally Posted by bencher
Kim Barr Racing is actually a pretty reputable shop. Wasnt planning on going down the road to Bubba on the machine work.

I don't know anything about that shop so don't take it as a direct condemnation.

BUT "reputable" IMO has little to do with actually being good. There are "reputable" shops that routinely send out destroyed valve guides and wildly varying port sizes and most of the victims of such still recommend them because "he is a nice guy" who spends lots of time on the phone with them

I tend to try and shop on VALUE rather than price, usually has me buying middle of the road price wise because most expensive is usually paying for name and advertizing and often time the product suffers because advertizing is the primary expenditure rather than R&D.

A lot of us have been at this a long time, made a lot of mistakes and seen others make even more. We can help the newbies save a small fortune compared to what we spent based on lessons learned, IF the newbies will allow themselves to be helped.

That said I missed what the goal is, often times guys get too hung up on engine mods not realizing just how much other stuff the car NEEDS to be ready for them.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by bencher

Got my cash and ready to get some mods goin on my Z. I know im goin with a set of 3.73s in rear end. I also know im goin to pick up a GM Performance Hot Cam kit on Monday. Here come the issues... Looking for some good low-end torque, stop sign to stop sign power. Having heads worked was suggested, but now have buddy telling me id probly lose my low end power in exchange for hp's with having heads done. Should I skip the head work and go with some long tubes hooked up to my corsa catback instead? HELP!!!
Given your stated goals, your choice of cams is questionable. I realize that the hot-cam is a popular move, and one I support, but only because the owners of such are willing participants... and most importantly, easy prey.

I say this based upon substantial experience with hundreds of 1/8th mile passes and untold numbers of street runs which left H-C drivers askin' ' Dang man that things quick, whatcha runnin'?'

Comp builds a great low-excellent mid range XFI 268 cam, which when combined with Refreshed heads, 1.6 rockers, LT headers, a 9" stall , 4.10s and a set of ET streets, and the usual bolt-ons...
wiil knock a full second off stock 1/8 th mile times adding 10mph to the trap.

Otherwise prepare yourself to run side by side the herd of H-C drivers... Which only seems.cool while your looking at it from where you're at now.

Last edited by OVA1; 10-23-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by OVA1
Given your stated goals, your choice of cams is questionable. I realize that the hot-cam is a popular move, and one I support, but only because the owners of such are willing participants... and most importantly, easy prey.

I say this based upon substantial experience with hundreds of 1/8th mile passes and untold numbers of street runs which left H-C drivers askin' ' Dang man that things quick, whatcha runnin'?'

Comp builds a great low-excellent mid range XFI 268 cam, which when combined with Refreshed heads, 1.6 rockers, LT headers, a 9" stall , 4.10s and a set of ET streets, and the usual bolt-ons...
wiil knock a full second off stock 1/8 th mile times adding 10mph to the trap.

Otherwise prepare yourself to run side by side the herd of H-C drivers... Which only seems.cool while your looking at it from where you're at now.
I have since switched my thinking on the cam. Looking at the comp xfi 260, is that not enough cam you think?
Caprice, all critacism is welcomed! Big newbie here, any help is welcome.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:30 AM

No... Go with the 268. You'll love it. Trust me.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Administrator

I'll agree. The XFI 260 is too small, and your PM indicated you are looking at a 2,400RPM stall, which is also too small.

Then you are talking about ported heads. You will have to go even bigger when you have the heads ported.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
I'll agree. The XFI 260 is too small, and your PM indicated you are looking at a 2,400RPM stall, which is also too small.

Then you are talking about ported heads. You will have to go even bigger when you have the heads ported.
Ok, so we are looking at the 268xfi. Since im looking for good low and mid, will going with the improved springs, locks and 1.6:1 roller rockers be more what im looking for over the heads worked? Going to pick up the long tubes tomorrow, hopefully some 3.73s. And putting in my order for cam kit. Will talk with the guys at Comp about the 268 and what im looking for.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:34 AM

Take whatever the guys at Comp recommend with a huge grain of salt. They aren't exactly the best at deciding what would work best for you.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:13 AM

Comp's "tech line" consists of people they pay to read the catalog for you, you call it and you wont speak to anyone actually knowledgeable.

Right off the bat whatever info they give you will be wrong because Comp recycles their rpm ranges based on Gen 1 stuff, the ultra short intake runners of the LT1 means cams routinely need 700rpms more than Comp's listed rpm range. So right away the cam recommendation ends up being wrong and depending how taxing the cam is on the recommended springs guys often find the extra rpm makes the recommended springs insufficient.

Don't believe me look up the 503 cam, Comp lists it to 5800, then go and look up how high guys spin it in the real world, you will find everyone saying 6500 is needed to make it work right. Hell the stock cam with good springs and rockers likes 5800rpm.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Comp's "tech line" consists of people they pay to read the catalog for you, you call it and you wont speak to anyone actually knowledgeable.

Right off the bat whatever info they give you will be wrong because Comp recycles their rpm ranges based on Gen 1 stuff, the ultra short intake runners of the LT1 means cams routinely need 700rpms more than Comp's listed rpm range. So right away the cam recommendation ends up being wrong and depending how taxing the cam is on the recommended springs guys often find the extra rpm makes the recommended springs insufficient.

Don't believe me look up the 503 cam, Comp lists it to 5800, then go and look up how high guys spin it in the real world, you will find everyone saying 6500 is needed to make it work right. Hell the stock cam with good springs and rockers likes 5800rpm.
Thanks. So the 260 really would not be enough. There is a local rep guy in the next town over that I just found, he seems to be an all around hi-performance guy. Maybe he will be of some use.
Ok, looking at torque converters on Jegs, the B&M ones only seem to go to 2400-2600, and the concencus seems to be I need 3k. Is there one that im missing on the sight that will go 3k?
Old 10-24-2011, 12:13 PM

You need to start by forgetting B&M even exists, and throw TCI in the same forget me catagory.

I like the Street Edge http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/...ex&cPath=12_22
Yank and Vigilante are very good too but cost more due to a billet front cover which cost a couple hundred for them to machine.
I have been running Edge for I think 8 years now without issue so IMO the billet covers on some of the other brands are overkill until you get to a performance level somewhere beyond where I am at.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
You need to start by forgetting B&M even exists, and throw TCI in the same forget me catagory.

I like the Street Edge http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/...ex&cPath=12_22
Yank and Vigilante are very good too but cost more due to a billet front cover which cost a couple hundred for them to machine.
I have been running Edge for I think 8 years now without issue so IMO the billet covers on some of the other brands are overkill until you get to a performance level somewhere beyond where I am at.
Ah, alright! Looks like I need to get a final decision on cam made, that way they can get me the specs on converter that I need. Thanks again!