LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Coolant leak on back of cylinder head...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 07:10 PM

Re: Coolant leak on back of cylinder head...

Originally Posted by SS RRR
They are not just washers. They are a rubber seal encricled by a metal ring. The seal tends to stick to the cylinder heads from extreme heat.
Yep, my heads managed to come back from the machine shop with the rubber still attached
Old 09-24-2005, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
They are not just washers. They are a rubber seal encricled by a metal ring. The seal tends to stick to the cylinder heads from extreme heat.
I think he meant they were "similar" to washers.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
I think he meant they were "similar" to washers.
they are closer in install to washers then the seals he was thinking if
Old 09-24-2005, 10:53 PM

If your waterpump was having issues it could've caused both the over heating and the leak. I had issues with coolant fans not turning on, and once the coolant started to boil off the pressure made a leak in a hose that was on the way out. Once you fix this you might be out of the woods.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:44 AM

Thanks guys. Yeah, I hope my heads are fine. I really have kept it as cool as I could thru all this in the past week but I have to admit I've been so busy with life in the past couple of years that I've neglected this car. I was runnning mainly just water in the coolant system the past two years or so...My waterpump impeller was rusted to a point where all the fins were worn off...and a sandy/rusty substance is coating all of my hoses, etc. so that was definitely the root of the probelm.

The fact that the t-stat was not opening and the fans were not running (at all) didn't help the situation.

Pump is installed and I'm just waiting to get the seals and new hoses to get it finished up. I may replace the radiator too...the inside is coated with mud from the coolant.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dave89IROC
they are closer in install to washers then the seals he was thinking if
Old 09-25-2005, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Yoder
Thanks guys. Yeah, I hope my heads are fine. I really have kept it as cool as I could thru all this in the past week but I have to admit I've been so busy with life in the past couple of years that I've neglected this car. I was runnning mainly just water in the coolant system the past two years or so...My waterpump impeller was rusted to a point where all the fins were worn off...and a sandy/rusty substance is coating all of my hoses, etc. so that was definitely the root of the probelm.

The fact that the t-stat was not opening and the fans were not running (at all) didn't help the situation.

Pump is installed and I'm just waiting to get the seals and new hoses to get it finished up. I may replace the radiator too...the inside is coated with mud from the coolant.
That's why you need a corrosion inhibitor like what is in antifreeze or products like Water Wetter.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:25 PM

If it is like that check to see that you are geting good flow through your radiator. It could be all clogged w/ crap.. At least flush it and see hoe it looks. Check everything incl you rad cap, hoses, rad, everything.......
Old 09-25-2005, 05:02 PM

I know shoebox...it was dumb. I only intended for the water that I added to be temporary until I could do a flush...that just never happened. I used to really pamper my cars and now I just work too much to keep up.

Mark, I bought some heavy duty coolant system flush. I'm going to flush it out and see how the rad. looks. If it still looks brown inside I may just spend $180 and replace it along with the hoses and cap.

I'm sure the WP is the cause of the problem...the fins on that impeller were nearly non-existent.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:09 AM

Cool, If you have a infered gun iy would help. They sell em' everywhere w/ the laser pointer built in. I use that and a pressure tester to diagnoss 90% of overheaters.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:08 AM

That's cool, I'll have to check those out! My coolant pressure tester is one of the most valuable tools in my garage.