LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Coolant sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 12:38 AM

Alright guys I got a pic of where the wires for this extra sensor go.

These plugs in the pics are in front of the PCM and if you look you can see where the 2 wires run into the top of the big plug......The sensor on the drivers side has a normal plug but this mystery temp sensor on the passenger side head has a hookup identical to the knock sensor plug.......Sorry for the bad quality, they're just cell phone pics......I'm sorry if my typing skills are not the greatest but I can clear anything up that is needed.......Thanks to all
Old 01-31-2010, 09:24 AM

Looks like an aftermarket fan switch temp sensor.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:28 AM
Administrator

You indicate it "has a hookup identical to the knock sensor plug".... but the knock sensor only has one wire. What part of the hookup is "identical"?

Shoebox has a photo of a 95 wiring harness. If you click on any of the areas, it will give you a closer view. The connectors in front of the PCM include C100 for the "fan relays". It would seem possible that its just what I suggested up front - someone has added a temp sensor/switch to run the fans.

http://shbox.com/1/harness.htm

http://shbox.com/1/harness4.jpg

Shoebox also shows you where to connect a manual fan switch:

http://shbox.com/1/fan_switch_wires.jpg

Look familiar?
Old 01-31-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
You indicate it "has a hookup identical to the knock sensor plug".... but the knock sensor only has one wire. What part of the hookup is "identical"?
The design of the plug is identical to the knock sensor plug with the exception being that it's a 2 wire plug...........With that being said, it appears that you hit the nail on the head. Where could the controls for this be? or isn't there any?. Is this a good idea or should I just eliminate it?

Here is the part that goes into the head and the gray plug is what my plug looks like. However I'm not sure if this plug in the pic is 1 wire or 2 wrapped wires and my wires run straight from this sensor to the wiring in front of the PCM unlike the one in the picture which has the black connector......The picture I found is a Hypertech fan switch.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:36 AM

It's definitely a fan "switch". It appears there are not any controls as it were. The sensor works automatically to send a ground to the fan relays, turning them on at a predetermined lower temperature than stock.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Maybe like the setup from JET?

http://www.eraceware.com/jet-perform...rd-126375.html
Old 01-31-2010, 01:29 PM

how could i eliminate this and just let the fans run at the stock settings?.......I have to make a 6hr trip this coming weekend and im not sure where to get the parts to fix it in time
Old 01-31-2010, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by deerslayinrenek
how could i eliminate this and just let the fans run at the stock settings?.......I have to make a 6hr trip this coming weekend and im not sure where to get the parts to fix it in time
Just leave it unplugged from the sensor or remove the inserted portion of the flat, multi-pinned connector to where it looks like the connector beside it.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:22 PM

well it got broke off during a header install so it'll just run from the factory settings now?...If I could find the parts cheap enough to fix it then I would but with a tune coming this summer I don't think it's worth it

I'd like to thank everyone for the help
Old 01-31-2010, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by deerslayinrenek
.........I'm sorry if my typing skills are not the greatest but I can clear anything up that is needed.......Thanks to all
Your typing skills are fine.... it was good enough to get you the correct answer in post #4. Don't take the complaints about "precise language" seriously. You're way ahead of many people who post.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
. Don't take the complaints about "precise language" seriously. You're way ahead of many people who post.
What's up with you, anyway Injuneer???

Anyone who has chosen a screen name "Injuneer" and then advises not to take precision seriously has got to have something festering between his ears.

Engineers are supposed to be all about precision. I know 'cause I've got one, from Harvard!

So whatever it is that's stuck in your craw, get over it.

Jake
Old 02-01-2010, 05:41 AM
Administrator

Keep it up JAKE, and there will be consequences.

We prefer that if you have a disagreement with a Moderator, that you take it to a PM. If you continue to argue in the thread, a violation will be issued, and you will accumulate points toward temporary suspension, or banning.

Not sure why you want to attack my professional integrity. Knowing the level of precision required is part of being an engineer. You don't always need 8 significant figures to arrive at a useful measurement.

Interesting... I find out you have the same problems, attacking Shoebox on another site. Seems like you don't like to find others who's opinions are widely accepted. Might want to do a little introspection.

This is over on the public forums. You have been warned.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by JAKEJR
What's up with you, anyway Injuneer???

Anyone who has chosen a screen name "Injuneer" and then advises not to take precision seriously has got to have something festering between his ears.

Engineers are supposed to be all about precision. I know 'cause I've got one, from Harvard!

So whatever it is that's stuck in your craw, get over it.

Jake
The question is what's up with you? We can all do without the confrontation in your posts as of late. It is being noticed by many and brought to my attention.

A reminder to all, this site is for helping each other out respectfully, and is not being right all the time, and is certainly not for criticizing what is entirely irrelevant.

Let's stay on the focus of the site, please.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:39 PM

Well, well, well. I now, finally, see why it is that so many others have 'bad-mouthed' this Forum, or perhaps to be more precise this board, and opted OUT. At first I tried giving this board the benefit of the doubt, thinking that there may be other, unspoken reasons for so much disapproval being directed here.

Not all members help create such a negative environment, though, I must say, but enough do that it's made some of my experience here so dis-satisfying that I'm terminating my membership and will not return here.

To those who have sent me appreciative and supporting messages, THANK YOU! From what you've written, I see that you, too, recognize the negative issues here. To you, I can always be reached at my email address jcameron266@sbcglobal.net or on the Corvette Forum should you feel I can help with anything.

Also, to the member I loaned my engine hoist, engine stand, cam degreeing equipment, etc. none of this effects our relationship. BTW, I enjoyed the meeting with your Dad when he came to pick up everything. PLEASE FEEL FREE to maintain contact with me during the re-build of your blown engine, I'll continue to help you and your Dad in any way I can.

Again, to all of my well-wishers and supporters, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND UNDERSTANDING, but I'm out.

Jake
Old 02-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Admin Emeritus

All I did was ask people not to be confrontational.

I hardly find that to be a reason for insults and incorrect accusations but it sure proves my point.

Quick Reply: Coolant sensor?