LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Could this cause a slow start up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 11:57 AM

Could this cause a slow start up?

My car has a really slow start up and has to crank for a good 5 to 7 seconds before it'll start to start. Then it very slowly winds it's way up to 1000 RPM and most the time i have to push the gas to stop it from stall or bogging down then quiting. So here's my question, could a bad fuel pressure regulator cause this problem? I have good injectors, good pump, and just changed the fuel filter.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:17 PM

Re: Could this cause a slow start up?

Originally Posted by MyShibbyZ28
My car has a really slow start up and has to crank for a good 5 to 7 seconds before it'll start to start. Then it very slowly winds it's way up to 1000 RPM and most the time i have to push the gas to stop it from stall or bogging down then quiting. So here's my question, could a bad fuel pressure regulator cause this problem? I have good injectors, good pump, and just changed the fuel filter.

did you try to prime the pump first? if you cycle the key on/off 2-3 times and then try and start it does it start right up?
if so then your fuel pump is on its way out, theres a valve that holds the pressure, it`s part of the pump assembly in the tank.
you may still have great fuel pressure but it wont hold your pressure, basically all the fuel drains back into the tank and when you try to start the car it has to fill the lines and filter up again so it takes awhile.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:57 PM

I guess i should have left the gauge on there and then tried to start it to see if that'd make a difference. I'll try that and then let you know what happens.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:30 PM

Well that didn't help any, and i've put 2 bottles of fuel injector cleaner through it and still nothing. Think Seafoam would make a difference or no? I also started to notice my pan is leaking oil....ARGH! it's just one thing after another on this flippin car.... I really need some help on this. I've done everything and have run out of ideas.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:32 PM

Well that didn't help any, and i've put 2 bottles of fuel injector cleaner through it and still nothing. Think Seafoam would make a difference or no? I also started to notice my pan is leaking oil....ARGH! it's just one thing after another on this flippin car.... I really need some help on this. I've done everything and have run out of ideas.
well thats about all i could think of, is there any codes? and how long do you have to crank it to get it to start? mine usally starts cold within about 2-4 seconds of cranking when its cold.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:06 PM

Could a bad fuel pump cause that? Like it doesn't hold the pressure and has to build it up in order to start? Sometimes when it primes it'll try to start right away for about half a second then go back to cranking over for another 5 seconds.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:20 PM

Could a bad fuel pump cause that? Like it doesn't hold the pressure and has to build it up in order to start? Sometimes when it primes it'll try to start right away for about half a second then go back to cranking over for another 5 seconds.

yes it could cause it to happen but if you tried to prime the pump 3-4 times and it didnt make a difference then it kinda would rule out that problem.

im stumped but it sure seems to me like your not holding the fuel in the lines when the car sits and that would be related to the valve on the pump hanger assembly.
also hows your fuel filter?
does your car run good?
any other problems besides this?
Old 08-17-2005, 07:38 AM

My car is doing the same thing. Takes about 5 seconds to start. However, my car is getting plenty of fuel pressure.(I have a gauge under the hood on the line that runs to the nitrous solinoids). My car simple does not fire for the first 5 seconds it turns over. It then fires and cranks. I have a new optispark and a new coil. So whats causing the problem.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:06 AM
tc3

im just guessing, but you still have the icm to worry about, get it tested maybe?
Old 08-17-2005, 11:02 AM

Here's what i've done...

-new fuel filter - no change
-checked injectors -they're fine
-2 bottles of injector cleaner - no change
-checked pressure - 42 PSI then drops below 10 after 20 minutes

Thing is once it starts to crank over, and it fires, it will bog down and sounds like it will fall on it's face. It starts at 100 RPM, stays there for a second, moves to 200, another second, 300 and so on, and once it gets to 1000 it'll have an ok idle but won't idle great. Then the instant i push on the gas and rev it above 1500 it will idle like nothing was ever wrong.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, that it will start like this if i let it set for an hour or more. But if i start it within 20 minutes of its last run, it will start right up with maybe a second or 2 of cranking over, and it'll shoot right to 1000 RPM with no bogging.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:38 PM

My 94/ta has had the same problem going on a year now since I've bought it. I'm just as stumped as you. It's very embarrasing when people stop to watch you start it up and you gotta crank crank crank....nothing. LOL.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by cas0484
My 94/ta has had the same problem going on a year now since I've bought it. I'm just as stumped as you. It's very embarrasing when people stop to watch you start it up and you gotta crank crank crank....nothing. LOL.
I know, i went out with some friends and one has a 3000 GT and he was like lets see your car man, start it up....10 seconds later....
Old 08-17-2005, 06:53 PM

i'm having the same problem. just hit 130k miles and i put in a new racetronix pump a year ago. after it starts up it runs just fine. also, right after i start it, it smells like its super rich at first, but that might just be my exhaust leak and/or my busted cat.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:52 PM

possibly the i.a.c. is dirty or not functioning properly

im running out of ideas on this one
Old 08-18-2005, 01:08 AM

IAC ??? stands for...? Intake Air Cxxxxxx ???? i've heard it before....

Quick Reply: Could this cause a slow start up?