LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Could I have really screwed up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 02:18 AM

Could I have really screwed up?

Coolant is about an inch below the full cold mark, after having been at the full cold mark 3 months ago. I guess I have a slow leak, but I've never seen any fluid anywhere.

Anyway, I had done a coolant flush, and afterwards had TONS of trouble getting the block plug back in because of the bolt that sticks out in the way. A friend of mine got it in eventually... but it would only go in 2/3 of the way... so idk if this could be the leak. It was in TIGHT at 2/3, which makes me think it was not going in 100% straight. Is it very possible that he would have had enough force to mess up the threads? I am really afraid to try taking the plug back out.

What to do?
Old 05-17-2005, 02:26 AM

Re: Could I have really screwed up?

I wouldn't be so concerned - an inch below isn't all that bad. Just add more and keep an eye on it - check out the plug with the car running for any signs of leaking. Have you checked the cooland anytime between 3 months ago and now? Maybe it just wasn't topped off, or there were air pockets that are not gone so it pulled from the extra... Just add more and keep an eye on it.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by fredmr39
I wouldn't be so concerned - an inch below isn't all that bad. Just add more and keep an eye on it - check out the plug with the car running for any signs of leaking. Have you checked the cooland anytime between 3 months ago and now? Maybe it just wasn't topped off, or there were air pockets that are not gone so it pulled from the extra... Just add more and keep an eye on it.
K, thanks, I'll take your advice. But suppose I do find that there is a leak there and that my concerns were valid. What steps would you take at that point?
Old 05-17-2005, 02:38 AM

Well, as you said - it could be as simple as that block drain bolt. If anything, the bolt threads would be screwed up, and bolts can be replaced. If its leaking somewhere else like the radiator, have it repaired as necessary. Could even look over hoses, etc. if you have done anything with them. One other thing is do not add any type of stop leak sealant or anything to the system. Just play it safe for now; maybe no leak will turn up and all will be well.

Also, seems like a slow leak (if any) as you said. So don't worry about driving it in the mean time. Just keep checking the level, and watch the temp gauge/low coolant light.

Last edited by fredmr39; 05-17-2005 at 02:41 AM.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:41 AM

Hmmm, partially off topic. Mind if I ask what temps you saw before and after your 160* stat? I still have a 180, but even after my coolant flush and everything, sitting at a stop too long can easily put me jsut below redlines temps.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:45 AM

I'll tell ya when I know I broke my gauge temp sensor during my header install, and when I got a new one in finally, it was inaccurate and read over 40 degrees higher than actual operating temperatures. I was worried thermostat might be sticking, so finally swapped my 160* back in. Still read high, but twenty or so degrees lower (with madz28 tune, fans on at 205). So I do not yet have an accurate reading still because only today I went to the dealer and got an AC Delco gauge temp sensor in. Hopefully it will give me accurate readings tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll run between 170-190 most the time though.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:47 AM

Hmmm
Old 05-17-2005, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by fragenstein
but even after my coolant flush and everything, sitting at a stop too long can easily put me jsut below redlines temps.
Sounds like you'd benefit from it - you would probably want to set the fans to kick on earlier as well. Temps still seem a little high - was there a lot of air in the system when you bled it? Another thing you may wish to look into is a manual fan switch.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by fredmr39
Sounds like you'd benefit from it. Temps still seem a little high - was there a lot of air in the system when you bled it? Another thing you may wish to look into is a manual fan switch.
That's a no on the air as far as I know. I think I am bubble-free or close to it.