LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Couldn't Be Newbier

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 09:17 AM

Couldn't Be Newbier

Heya forum (first post),

I'm a complete car newbie, been driving less than a year, never driven anything but an automatic, never even changed oil.

Where is the best place for me to get started? I really like the camaro/firebird/corvette designs, and I'm looking for a car that I can learn on for under $10k. I'm interested in real performance and would like to build a car I can keep forever and constantly upgrade.

The older technologies, 60s/70s, make sense to me, I understand the ideas behind most of the parts (although I haven't had the opportunity to work on them myself). But the new cars (90s) confuse me to no end. If I got a 97 z28 or something of that nature, how hard is it going to be to work on it? What kind of special tools will I need? What's all this 'ECU' crap about?

I guess my questions come down to this: Which car is the best bang for the buck right now? How hard is it to maintain/improve? How much can I do myself and how much needs to go to the shop? Aside from parts and the car itself, how much would tools cost to do work on it?

Thanks in advance
--carnub
Old 10-06-2003, 09:33 AM

The camaro/firebird technology is practically 60's/70's other that fuel injection and emmission. Not to mention you can get them cheap and they are a great performance platform. However, if you can, I would try to get an LS1 (98 and up). If you can't and you get an Lt1 you're still getting a fast and very capable car. As far as tools, all you really need are wrenches, ratchets/sockets, etc. it all depends on what you're doing to the car. The ECU is the computer that controls the car. If you do anything like gears or a cam, it will need to be reprogrammed. As far as maintenance, they are easy to maintain, and if you keep them in good shape, they'll last a long time. Most bolt-on and basic mods can be done yourself with little experience, and if you need the help, someone on the board can give you advice (it's saved me lots of time and money). Tools can cost as much as you want to spend. If you plan on working on cars and getting serious, buy quality stuff now. It'll cost more, but they will last much longer and probably come with a warrenty (craftsman). I saw a basic mechanic kit in Sears the other day (wrenches, sockets, etc), for $100 on sale. I'm sure others can offer you more insight.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:35 AM

well hey im kinda in the same boat as you, i just got my 94 firebird. never worked on cars before, but ive done tons of **** already... its pretty simple to work on but id suggest 94 and up

i just went to pepboys and got the 96pc stanley tool kit, didnt realize the 113pc stanley one was on sale but ohh well

definatly get a 4th generation, otherwise if u want a perfomance you might need a new engine...

changing oil is easy, getting under the car is hard expecally when ur big like me or by friend...
Old 10-06-2003, 09:37 AM

You're asking for a LOT of information, so let me give you my take on it. Best bang for the buck depends on how much "buck" you have. You'll get plenty of bang from a V8 f-body regardless. If you're looking in the $5000 price range, you'd probably be very happy if you shopped around for a 94-95 Z28 or 'bird. These cars came with the LT1 powerplant, a 350 ci (5.7L) V8 which advertised 275hp at the flyhwheel in 94-95. Stock, they average between 14.0 and 14.2 in the 1/4 mile depending on how good of a launch you can make. Headers, exhaust, and intake will probably put you in the mid 13's if you can drive. Better rear end gears and some drag radials will probably shave another 4-5 tenths off.

They're reliable daily drivers as long as you take care of them. I love being behind the wheel of my Z, she's as good as any other car on the highway or in rush hour.. But once the modding starts, beware. She'll get very un-ladylike in a hurry once you start cranking out serious ponies. As far as routine maintenance, most of it is a PITA. Your first tune-up (not just plugs & wires.. sensors, filters, etc..) will either cost you a heavy penny or an entire day under a lift. I've only done a few things inside the engine bay that weren't more of a pain in the *** than they should have been. I think the easiest repairs I've done inside there were my vacuum check valve, alternator, and PCV valve. Guys here have LT1's with 150k on the clock still making awesome passes in the 1/4.

If you're really into cars, an f-body is the car for you. I'm all about the driving experience, and I really love turning the wrench under my baby. I'd suggest you research a bit on this site, see what kind of experiences people have had with purchasing and maintaining their f-bodies, and make your decision. It still stands to reason you'd be able to pick up a low mileage (70k or so) LT1 for around $5000 if you shop around enough. Just beware of the optispark, that's the distributor the LT1 uses. That's got to be the LT1's achilles tendon. Read about it if you aren't sure.

Hope I've given you a good start. F-bodies are where it's at, man.

Regards,
Bryan